Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2014, 11:43 AM   #1

Charging batteries question

If the batteries are kept in the 5er and cables are hooked up and battery switch is off. Plan is to put a battery charger on the pair of 6 volt batteries every once in awhile. Any reason to pull the cables off or just leave them on?
2 for the road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 01:04 PM   #2

You can leave them hooked up as long as the disconnect is located before any parasites. Such as propane detector and any thing that holds time like the clock on your radio or something. All those are hooked directly to my batteries so I put SPST switches at each, It will also depend on which refer you have. I'm not sure but I have Norcal no power to the board and I think Domestic might have power to it. Maybe someone with that model can tell you. Other then that if you have nothing before the cutoff then there would be no problem.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 10:16 PM   #3

I will take a look inside to see if anything still has power to it.
Is it ok to to charge the batteries with a charger with the switch on? Like in a boondocking situation when the generator is hooked up to charge the batteries.
2 for the road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 11:03 PM   #4

It's really the same as if your convertor was charging them while in use with the disconnect on. I have always let the unit charger just do it's thing, but I'm hook-ed to power 24/7. If you don't have that option just charge them at least once a month. There a lot smarter people that can really help what you want to. I also do not boondock Most generators are being used the same as be plugging in, just different power supplies.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging, battery