Old 02-14-2016, 07:46 PM   #151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
X2 on the solar. My controller goes to 14.8 vdc once a month, need it or not. If I have used a lot of 12 vdc power, it goes back to 14.8 vdc to replenish, then drops back to 13.8 for a while, then stable at 12.8 vdc. Max charge is 50 amps.
Solar is the only way to go if you can't plug into shore power. Set it and forget it. Not even sure if my converter still works.
I absolutely agree. We spend very little time on shore power and I am designing a 150 to 300 watt solar system to take that into account. It takes too long to get to 100% SOC, way to long for a generator or even a long drive.

The Trimetric Solar controller is an ideal compliment to the Trimetric as it gets the benefit of all of the SOC calculations from the Trimetric. It also does an equalize function and you can set the voltage levels that it uses based on your batteries. 15 volts of solar is enough to make it happen. In addition, it uses the Trimetric remote sense battery voltage so you can locate it a long way from the batteries.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 07:53 PM   #152

You might want to consider the MT-5 if you use the Renogy Tracer MPPT controller. For $50, it does A LOT!

Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 08:01 PM   #153

You know as well as I that you cant use a hydrometer on an AGM. But they are designed to be charged at an entirely different rate .
Old 02-14-2016, 08:07 PM   #154

I need to have a programmable charger, that's why a PWM is sometimes better than a MPPT if you have leaded batteries. AGM on the other hand works perfectly with MPPT.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:39 AM   #155

Connecting Solar Panels

I am trying to figure a way to maintain 2 12v batteries connected in parallel with a 100w Solar panel. With the batteries connected in parallel should the Solar panel positive be connected to battery 1 and Solar panel negative connected to battery 2 or can the Solar panel be connected directly to either batteries positive and negative terminals?
Old 02-26-2016, 09:47 AM   #156

I'd connect positive to one batt and the neg to the other...with a controller between the batts and solar panel....it's the way I do it...
Old 02-26-2016, 09:50 AM   #157

Both ways will work but the best way to insure equal charging is to attach positive to one battery and negative to the other. I assume you know you need a solar controller in between the panel and the batteries...Direct Connection will not make you a happy camper!
2014 Vespa LX150 2014 StellaAuto 125
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:50 AM   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipeman View Post
I'd connect positive to one batt and the neg to the other...with a controller between the batts and solar panel....it's the way I do it...
The solar converter connects to you bank just the same way as they connect to your RV. Positive to the positive post that goes to the circuits( BCC, etc) and negative to the post that goes to the chassis ground.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 04:43 AM   #159

Solar controller / charger not converter. It should be protected (fuses / circuit breakers) on both sides (input / output). When using a good monitor, the final connection to battery should be at the shunt also where battery is connected to coach. Also any number of 12 volt batteries in parallel are seen as one by your controller and camper when connected in common with hopefully equal length and properly gauged cables. X2 on Trimetric equipment.
WW
Old 02-27-2016, 03:29 PM   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
Solar controller / charger not converter. It should be protected (fuses / circuit breakers) on both sides (input / output). When using a good monitor, the final connection to battery should be at the shunt also where battery is connected to coach. Also any number of 12 volt batteries in parallel are seen as one by your controller and camper when connected in common with hopefully equal length and properly gauged cables. X2 on Trimetric equipment.
WW
I am not sure what the "shunt" is I have an interest in this solar set here
Robot Check
it has an inline fuse in one of the wire connectors and I gather #12 gauge wire. The camper is prewired for a Zamp Solar connection but I 'm not sure this has a compatible connector but hope to use the alligator clamps to connect to the batteries. Thanks to all for your knowledge to a first time RV'er

Tags
battery, camping, charging, dry camping