Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2016, 09:28 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
I had a lot of questions and the post didn't happen. not sure why.

Did you install high altitude jets for CO? Or is your generator stock. Also, How do I measure how much my battery is discharged? I hear people say 50% discharge, does that mean 50% voltage? How is 50% measured?

thanks.
You measure it with a battery monitor from Victron or Trimetric. They measure amphours USED and INPUT to give you a net available amp hours or % of capacity among other useful things.
The ONLY other alternative that is accurate in use is a hydrometer testing each cell of the batteries.
Many people use a voltmeter where 12.2V is the state of charge of a bettery that is NOT in use and has NOT been charged for 24 hours. They think they are measuring actual state of charge...but they can be wildly off due to the impact of actual and parasitic loads on the battery or surface charge after running the generator or solar panels.
The nice thing about monitors is they also tell you how many amo hours you use each day and when you are charging..you see exactly what is being put into your batts and when they are 100% full. You also can see what every single piece of equipment in your coach uses in amps...simply turn an item on and read the amps it uses. Real monitors pay for themselves in extended battery life and fuel savings and smart energy management off the grid. About $150
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 11:09 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
You measure it with a battery monitor from Victron or Trimetric. They measure amphours USED and INPUT to give you a net available amp hours or % of capacity among other useful things.
The ONLY other alternative that is accurate in use is a hydrometer testing each cell of the batteries.
Many people use a voltmeter where 12.2V is the state of charge of a bettery that is NOT in use and has NOT been charged for 24 hours. They think they are measuring actual state of charge...but they can be wildly off due to the impact of actual and parasitic loads on the battery or surface charge after running the generator or solar panels.
The nice thing about monitors is they also tell you how many amo hours you use each day and when you are charging..you see exactly what is being put into your batts and when they are 100% full. You also can see what every single piece of equipment in your coach uses in amps...simply turn an item on and read the amps it uses. Real monitors pay for themselves in extended battery life and fuel savings and smart energy management off the grid. About $150
Thanks, I'm going to get one. I didn't know there was such a thing. Learning a lot on this thread.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:56 AM   #83

When I dry camp, if you want it you have to bring it. Usually very few other people nearby. I have a 4000 W Onan Juice Box with remote, that goes on the back of the 5er. It's pretty quiet. The TV is at the back of the 5er and we don't have to turn it up to wow to hear it, when the grand kids are with us. I also have 2, 2000 W Hondas that can be twined. These are what I use now as the juice box, even tho' it's on wheels, is getting harder to manhandle from the shed, over the grass. I have a couple of herniated discs, so I have to watch what I'm doing. I also have portable solar panels also, that usually charge the batteries(2) enough to overcome the parasitic load. I have the external 5 gallon tank that both Hondas run off of. If I want to charge the batts with the Hondas, I can run just one and the job gets done. I'm hooked up to the gennys with a 30 amp power cord.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 12:56 PM   #84

About the portable solar panels, are they easy to hook up and the cost of the panels. I am very interested in portable ones. What do you need besides the panels?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 01:33 PM   #85

Thanks for the tip from those who mentioned the hydrometer. I just fully charged my RV battery and although the volts are at 12.9 or so. The hydrometer clearly shows in the red.
Old 01-18-2016, 01:39 PM   #86

I have 3 panels that fit onto a metal stand. The wiring goes to controller then hooks up to the pos & neg posts. I have 2 batts wired in parrallel so one wire to pos of 1 batt and the other wire to the neg of the other batt. For the life of me, right now I can't think of the wattage. 165 or more, I think. The whole shebang folds up and fits into a hockey goalie bag. I picked them up at an auto parts store for a pretty good price about 6 years ago. I had a 3 panel array then, that I hauled out west and gave to my son. Everything came as a package. I just have to remember to shift the array to follow the sun. I tried to post a pic but no go. The wiring from the panels is small gauge so the run isn't any more than 15 ft or so.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 07:53 PM   #87

panels

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
About the portable solar panels, are they easy to hook up and the cost of the panels. I am very interested in portable ones. What do you need besides the panels?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
You can order them online, and check the prices there. Look for free shipping. Most kits will supply the charge controller, don't buy one without the controller. simply hook them up to the battery according to instruction.
If you leave the kit on the ground, you can aim them directly at the sun by moving them a little each day, and clean them of dust as needed.
On the roof, they are in the sun longer, but it is hard to clean them and they can't be moved easily to avoid shade from trees. I put them up top in one camp, since there is not so much dust, and no tree to shadow the panels, and on the ground in the other camp, since it is very dirty there, and I need to rotate them to follow the sun about every two hours.
The panels are light individually and in their rack, don't weigh so much your wife can't move them while you are hunting.
Costs at Harbor Freight is pretty reasonable, start here, and then look at other systems. The Harbor Freight system has large 12 volt lights, and a multi-plug panel for charging (usb, and several types of jack plugs).
hankpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 11:53 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpac View Post
You can order them online, and check the prices there. Look for free shipping. Most kits will supply the charge controller, don't buy one without the controller. simply hook them up to the battery according to instruction.
If you leave the kit on the ground, you can aim them directly at the sun by moving them a little each day, and clean them of dust as needed.
On the roof, they are in the sun longer, but it is hard to clean them and they can't be moved easily to avoid shade from trees. I put them up top in one camp, since there is not so much dust, and no tree to shadow the panels, and on the ground in the other camp, since it is very dirty there, and I need to rotate them to follow the sun about every two hours.
The panels are light individually and in their rack, don't weigh so much your wife can't move them while you are hunting.
Costs at Harbor Freight is pretty reasonable, start here, and then look at other systems. The Harbor Freight system has large 12 volt lights, and a multi-plug panel for charging (usb, and several types of jack plugs).
Ok, thanks. I think I would need 8 amps to replenish my battery.
Old 01-20-2016, 12:03 PM   #89

Just asking.

is this what people are suggesting?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...J5W0n7xczGnJRg
Old 01-20-2016, 04:37 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
is this what people are suggesting?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...J5W0n7xczGnJRg
No I think most people are leaning toward the 3100
Old 01-20-2016, 04:38 PM   #91

So far champion Yamaha and Honda are the only ones that have high altitude jet. If anybody knows of others I would like to know.
Old 01-21-2016, 12:40 AM   #92

I have a high altitude jet in my Boliy 3000 watt generator
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 12:53 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
I have a high altitude jet in my Boliy 3000 watt generator
Did you get the jet from Bottomline?
Old 01-21-2016, 01:03 AM   #94

Yes, on first Boliy I owned I soldered and redrilled the jet myself. On second one I bought from bottom line trading. I won't make mistake again and sell my Boliy with camper.
Old 01-22-2016, 11:03 AM   #95

You are a regular McIver. Very innovative.
Old 01-22-2016, 01:56 PM   #96

I have a Power House 2700 watt. We have used it 4 years now in Colorado camping at 1000' and do not have to rejet.
Old 01-22-2016, 02:10 PM   #97
Site Team

I have used a little 900 watt gen to plug in a regular 3 stage battery charger hooked directly to the battery. Charged up in short time.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 03:49 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpenn View Post
I have a Power House 2700 watt. We have used it 4 years now in Colorado camping at 1000' and do not have to rejet.
Thanks, good to know. I'm hearing more folks say the same thing. I may be worried for nothing. Does your's have fuel injection or a carb. Some of the Power Houses are fuel injected. Wish the little ones were.
Old 01-22-2016, 08:02 PM   #99

Just a carb.
Old 01-23-2016, 12:16 AM   #100

A generator that isn't jetted for altitude will run at high altitude. However, it will run less efficiently then one that is jetted. It will run rich, risk fouling plugs quicker, risk clogging the spark arrestor, and use more gas than one is correctly jetted for altitude.

The 3% loss in power output for every 1000 ft gain in altitude assumes the carb is jetted properly. Not rejetting for altitude will increase those losses.

The only time you don't need to rejet is if you are lucky enough to have a fuel injected generator.

By the way the lowest point in Colorado is 3,315 feet above sea level.

Tags
battery, camping, charging, dry camping