Old 01-14-2016, 02:41 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
Good point, I usually measure the voltage when the battery has been sitting for a while.
The key is how long "a while" is and as long as they are connected to the coach in an active living situation...it is difficult to get a true reading. Here's a little experiment on "a while" that a friend of mine did a few years ago making the additional point that it is not only FULL readings that get distorted.
Pretty convincing ... Measuring A Lead Acid Battery State of Charge Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com

2014 Vespa LX150 2014 StellaAuto 125
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 02:53 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof_fate View Post
i got a powerstroke genset from costco this week - $449, 1700w running plus it has a 12v charge port and cable for doing batteries. Claims to run 12 hours on 1 gal of gas at moderate load. 46 lbs.

due to the ugly weather here I've not tried it out yet...14f yesterday and 3" of snow and still snowing now...need to get gas for it as all i've got on hand is 2 stroke fuel for my snowblower.

Plan to bookdock this year. Last summer was at a CG and the power kept going out...of course it was at the exact time i needed to make coffee and use the microwave! LOL.

That is an excellent price, which model i that? Is that the camouflaged one?

Old 01-14-2016, 03:21 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof_fate View Post
i got a powerstroke genset from costco this week - $449, 1700w running plus it has a 12v charge port and cable for doing batteries. Claims to run 12 hours on 1 gal of gas at moderate load. 46 lbs.

due to the ugly weather here I've not tried it out yet...14f yesterday and 3" of snow and still snowing now...need to get gas for it as all i've got on hand is 2 stroke fuel for my snowblower.

Plan to bookdock this year. Last summer was at a CG and the power kept going out...of course it was at the exact time i needed to make coffee and use the microwave! LOL.
What is the db rating on the Powerstroke, I can not find anything on the net ? Not even the Powerstroke website has a db rating, just "Ultra Low Noise Levels".

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 230 AH Battery Bank - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting - Boon Docking 99% of the time.
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre - Tow Package
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 03:59 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocking View Post
What is the db rating on the Powerstroke, I can not find anything on the net ? Not even the Powerstroke website has a db rating, just "Ultra Low Noise Levels".
I'm not sure you can pair the powerstroke with another one either. It's the least expensive of the bunch at 449 however.
Old 01-14-2016, 04:07 PM   #55

By the look of the control panel they can not be paired.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 230 AH Battery Bank - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting - Boon Docking 99% of the time.
Old 01-14-2016, 04:14 PM   #56

The shape of the powerstroke is almost identical to the Westinghouse and the Millbank MPG2000. I think all of these are made by Zongshem a big china company that builds all kinds of stuff from motorcycles to generators but I'm guessing. I think the only other than china made is Honda EU 2000 assuming it is made in Japan and Generac IQ which is US made. It is a really nice little unit with a built in watt meter and gas gauge.

another contender is the powerhouse from Northern, it's 569 or so. can be paired and comes with the pairing cable. It also has a 30 amp RV plug built in along with two 20 amp jacks.
Old 01-14-2016, 05:51 PM   #57

What is going to work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
That's what I'm thinking, All i want to do is charge the two 12 volt batteries on the trailer tongue, then shut it off.
I read a few of your posts and you need to understand there are tons of variables to this whole thing, How many batteries, what is there aph rating, how are you going recharge them?
And this is only the tip of the iceberg, There is a fair amount all over the internet about this, as many before you have taken this challenge on, will varying ways of doing it, but let me say a few things first; the onboard converter will "maintain" your batteries they are not really designed to really charge them (unless you make a big upgrade from stock) to try and recharge from your TV will take many HOURS nor 15 minutes to recharge, and as for the small generators that many get most do not put out much in the way of amps to recharge a storage battery. So you need to relook this whole thing back from the start and see again how much time per day of use, and what and how much battery and charging ability you have or want.

I hope some of this helps but you need to do some more homework, but in the end Happy Camping
silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 06:32 PM   #58

Yeah, my "stock" 55 amp converter just doesn't charge my batteries either unless my trailer is plugged into shore power or a generator.

2007 Surveyor SV230
Old 01-14-2016, 06:39 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocking View Post
Yeah, my "stock" 55 amp converter just doesn't charge my batteries either unless my trailer is plugged into shore power or a generator.

Umm. That's sop

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 01-14-2016, 07:42 PM   #60

That's sarcasm but funny. I'll experiment with it and see what works best for me. Some say charge directly to the battery, some say just plug in the RV plug to the generator and let the onboard battery charger handle it. This post as drew some interesting ideas, at least for me. One thing I do know, is I'm going to get a generator, I just haven't figured out which one yet.

Your recommendations on generators is welcomed. thanks.

Tags
battery, camping, charging, dry camping