Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2016, 10:14 PM   #121

Edit to answer about trees: you will get very little charge under trees. A shadow falling on a panel can shut if off, entirely. So, no shadows. The difference in leaving the panel flat rather than tilted at 30 degrees (for instance), will cut output by a third.

If we don't all have one, I suggest a Bogart TM 2030 and find out what we actually use.

Then, get off the grid and see what you use in a typical day. Then you can tell what it takes to replenish what was used... until then it is anybody's guess.

Also, the voltage setting at bulk is dependent on the battery and you should follow what the maker states. That is once you have a charger that can do the work.

When charging the last 20% takes lots of time, that way solar is the way to go... rather than run a genset with very little load.

Also (my favorite word, it seems) this last 2 amps or so to fill the battery to capacity while using the standard converter / charger could take days rather than hours.

We all need these systems to work for us, not the other way around. Once properly installed and set up, there should be little to do. I would use a hydrometer about every two or three months, or while setting up a system.

All batteries need to be equalized about once every month and a half to three months. Another reason why we need a good charger.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 11:23 PM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
All batteries need to be equalized about once every month and a half to three months. Another reason why we need a good charger.
WW
I learn a lot on this thread and this is something I didn't know previously. I have a battery that has sulfate that I've been trying to recover with no luck. Another reason I'd like to have a charger that will do bulk mode.
Old 01-25-2016, 04:33 AM   #123

X2 on the Bogart. I used to wonder how long to charge, how low things were...everything. With the 2030 I know how much I have used and run the genny to replenish it...and forget it.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 07:13 AM   #124

Solar isn't for everyone, everywhere and for many a genset is the way to go. Lets say you do most of your boondocking under a canopy of trees. And rarely boondock. To me that is when a genset is the way to go. If you do much of your boondocking in the open, solar is better.... certainly less expensive in the long run and quiet.

If you can go with an inverter that would be nice, as is a set of good 6 volt batteries... start with two and see how it works, and definitely get a TM2030 to know rather than guess about your 12volt needs. A good inverter, like the Magnum has a good built in charger, but the minimum you would need is one like the IOTA (with the IQ4 as was pointed out) that actually charges the batteries... at least a 50amp. I'm a fan of having more genset for times when you are doing more than just charging. And beware of the advice you get on forums LOL!
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:58 AM   #125

I eventually want to put in panels on camper but I have two Honda's and I plan on using them. I have a electric refrigerator and the dealer installed 4 cheap 6 volt batteries, 105amp and a 1,000 watt inverter. I want to put in another bank of batteries for now and a 3,000 watt inverter just for that bank of batteries, along with a 40amp battery charger. That way later on all I'll have to do is install the panels. Money is a little tight, the inverter and battery charger I already have plus the battery cables to hook everything up

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 10:57 AM   #126

I'm more of a some time boondocker so I'd be charger with a generator for now. My goal is to figure out how i can get the best quickest charge in the least amount of run time on the genie. For now. Who knows, solar could be in my future but for now it's a gennie. I would like to have a portable solar setup.
Old 01-26-2016, 01:36 AM   #127

I have solar but don't rely on it to charge my batteries since our favorite spots are under trees in the shade.

Our solar provides enough juice to partially charge our batteries, cover normal idle loads such as fridge control, CO detector, etc.., and minimize generator charge time.

I could gain more efficiency in my system by using portable panels that are put on the ground but that would be more crap to setup/dismantle on a trip.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 06:16 AM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
That's my plan. My thoughts is to run gennie the minimum time so I want max output from whatever charger I use while the gennie running. I don't want a smart charger that will tapper the current as voltage increases. Am I screwed up?
Get a Pro Logic Charger at Napa auto parts. It will keep your charge up to bulk mode at 14.6 until they are charged and then auto shut off at full charge. They make a 10 amp and 15 amp, get the 15 amp...... You can choose your battery type and voltage that you want such as 2 amp 6 amp 10 amp or 15 amp if that is what you want. I use 10 amp, but should have bought the larger 15 amp in hind site. It will also charge by selection any type of battery. such as wet cell or gel or anything in between.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 07:18 AM   #129
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzbrandi View Post
Sounds good, but......please don't camp anywhere near me. I spent the money to get the quietest geny I could get, so wouldn't bother you.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Thank you and I'm sure your neighbors thank you as well!!!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 07:40 AM   #130

And I will do the same but unfortunately everyone doesn't feel that way and we usually can't pick and choose your neighbor. What generator do you have?
Old 01-26-2016, 07:45 AM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Get a Pro Logic Charger at Napa auto parts. It will keep your charge up to bulk mode at 14.6 until they are charged and then auto shut off at full charge. They make a 10 amp and 15 amp, get the 15 amp...... You can choose your battery type and voltage that you want such as 2 amp 6 amp 10 amp or 15 amp if that is what you want. I use 10 amp, but should have bought the larger 15 amp in hind site. It will also charge by selection any type of battery. such as wet cell or gel or anything in between.
Thanks, that's what I want, I charged my battery that was 30% discharged yesterday and it's charging at 1.3 amps with the on board WFCO.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:34 AM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
And I will do the same but unfortunately everyone doesn't feel that way and we usually can't pick and choose your neighbor. What generator do you have?

Too Tall, if you were talking to me, I purchased two 2k Hondas. I have two gennies in case I need my ac, which sometimes I need. Generally, the idle only comes up a little on battery charging. I live full time in my little tt and have been camped by a number of contractor type and so-called quiet gennies. Not fun. Over last summer and this winter, I have added 180 watts of solar and controller. Looking to leave the gennies off as long as possible.

mzbrandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 02:00 PM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzbrandi View Post
Too Tall, if you were talking to me, I purchased two 2k Hondas. I have two gennies in case I need my ac, which sometimes I need. Generally, the idle only comes up a little on battery charging. I live full time in my little tt and have been camped by a number of contractor type and so-called quiet gennies. Not fun. Over last summer and this winter, I have added 180 watts of solar and controller. Looking to leave the gennies off as long as possible.

Thanks, I'm trying to decide between 1 single Honda or Yamaha 2000 (with the options of adding a 2nd) or the Yamaha EF2400iSHC which will likely run the AC unit when needed.

My problem is the 2000's are easy to handle and can be stored in my front storage compartment to hide it while I'm out for the day hiking or whatever. The 2400 is 75 + and I'd have to leave it in my truck bed or put it inside the cab. Lots of weight to be moving around. My TV doesn't have a cover so the gennie is going to be in the bed where everyone can see and steal. Getting it stolen is my biggest fear otherwise I'd get the 2400.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:50 PM   #134
Summer2Go

Any ideas on how to secure a Zamp's portable unit? I don't stay close to the camper all the time, and they are pricey.

Summer2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 12:44 AM   #135

IMO, the generators are the biggest temptation for thieves. I wouldn't think solar would not be as valuable to a thief since they are probably stealing it to sell on Craig's List or pawn shop etc... Since solar is relatively new, I would thing the average thief wouldn't know what he's steeling or the value of it but that pretty little red Honda sitting behind the RV or in the back of the truck is just too tempting. Just my opinion. I wish it wasn't so. I'm so paranoid, once I do decide what I'm going to buy, I'm going to lock it to a tree even when it running and I'm in the trailer. ha.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:34 AM   #136

It's hard to stop a thief, you can stop honest people from stealing stuff but a thief you just can't stop, that's what I have insurance for. I can stop my Honda's from walking off. I plan to keep my Honda's in the basement and when I mount them they will be put on a sliding mount at the back of camper. I have to build that before June, I plan on using the twins on the trip to Alaska

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 09:21 AM   #137

If you are doing a significant amount of dry camping, the WFCO converter has to go! It seldom will charge in bulk mode for more than a minute or two and running a generator so that you can put an amp or two into your bank is absurd. The Progressive Dynamics series has better bulk mode sensing, but more importantly, you can connect the $10.00 pendant AND MANUALLY FORCE IT INTO BULK MODE. If you are running a generator specifically to charge up (I mean how many cups of coffee can you drink) you absolutely need this capability or you will run a very, very long time to get your bank charged in normal 13.6 volt mode (like 24 hours depending on your SOC at the moment.)

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 09:33 AM   #138

Quote:
Glenn will this charge 6 and 12 V Batts? Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 01:58 PM   #139

Quote:
Hi, I''m not seeing an pro logic chargers on the napa website. Do you have a link possibly? thanks.
Old 01-28-2016, 02:00 PM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
If you are doing a significant amount of dry camping, the WFCO converter has to go! It seldom will charge in bulk mode for more than a minute or two and running a generator so that you can put an amp or two into your bank is absurd. The Progressive Dynamics series has better bulk mode sensing, but more importantly, you can connect the $10.00 pendant AND MANUALLY FORCE IT INTO BULK MODE. If you are running a generator specifically to charge up (I mean how many cups of coffee can you drink) you absolutely need this capability or you will run a very, very long time to get your bank charged in normal 13.6 volt mode (like 24 hours depending on your SOC at the moment.)
Thanks, I will call Progressive, but do you know how this is connected the current WFCO or is it a replacement?

Tags
battery, camping, charging, dry camping