Old 04-18-2016, 08:06 PM   #1

Charging questions

OK.... Ive had the PD 9280 plugged in via extension cord from the garage since Sunday afternoon. By around sunday evening the amps in had dropped to 9, voltage was at 13.7.

Heading off to work this morning I check the monitor and amps had dropped to 2, voltage 13.7.

Get home from work, amps were at 2.5, voltage 13.7.

Nothing is on but the normal parasitic loads, clock on the stereo, CO meter etc. Ghost draw appears to be between .4 and .7 amps.

Does this seem like excessive charge time for 4 6 volt 255 amp hour batteries? I will pick up a hydrometer tomorrow. Fluid in the batts is perfect, and at the 13.7 voltage they are bubbling a little.

If I read the trimetric directions correctly it is set to consider the batts full when amps in drops to .2. Is that correct?

Old 04-18-2016, 11:28 PM   #2

Alright...

Further reading of the instructions... 3rd and 5th time and I think I got my question answered.

I need to adjust my charging voltage limit to 13.6 so when the amps drop below 2% of my banks amp hours it will show 100% and charged. I may go closer to 1%.

I also did not give the charger enough time to drop into float.

I did notice that after pulling power off the charger, the pendant continued to flash at whatever setting it was at prior to unplugging. I read somewhere that it is supposed to transition to a series of flashes to indicate SOC. But mine continued to flash either normal or float, whatever it was at when unplugged.

Old 04-19-2016, 07:28 AM   #3

Seems that the pendant will continue to indicate converter mode as long as it is connected to the batteries...with or without AC power being applied. It should drop to 13.2 when there is little or no load and the batteries are charged.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 12:21 PM   #4

That's what I found after doing some research. I figured over 12 hours of 13.7 volts and right around 2 amps it would transition into float. I guess it can take as long as 36 hours for that to occur.

I set my trimetric up to trigger full charge at 13.5 volts and 4 amps.

Sent from a field
Old 04-19-2016, 12:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by opie View Post
That's what I found after doing some research. I figured over 12 hours of 13.7 volts and right around 2 amps it would transition into float. I guess it can take as long as 36 hours for that to occur.

I set my trimetric up to trigger full charge at 13.5 volts and 4 amps.

Sent from a field
4 amps sounds kinda high. It takes a really, really long time to get that last 4 or 5 percent on SOC. The PD unit should drop to 13.2 after something like 34 or 36 hours and then proceed to pulse an equalization after that.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 01:06 PM   #6

Batteries rested overnight, about 10 hours, the meter showed 12.9 volts this morning.

That was after about 30 hours at 13.7 though. I can change it to 2 amps.
Sent from a field

Tags
charging