Old 06-16-2015, 05:04 PM   #1

Checking the possible damage

Without proper knowledge last winter I disconnected my breakaway cable from my 5th wheel thinking to prevent possible theft. I have today learned this was not a good idea and was most likely why my new battery from a year ago was dead and the battery I replaced it with in April is on death's door. I have a call into my dealer but I believe I can get quicker and better answers here. What would be some telltale signs that things aren't as they should be? I could connect everything back the way it should be and if the trailer rolls when towed I'm halfway home. If I pull the disconnect and the trailer brakes engage,I'm almost home but how can one tell about the condition of the brakes. Thanks for any ideas.

Old 06-16-2015, 05:14 PM   #2

Magnets may be burned up.......maybe even the switch itself.

Old 06-16-2015, 05:56 PM   #3
clr

You can look at the breakaway switch and tell if it melted, if it did it will be a mess and you will have difficulty plugging the breakaway pin back into the switch. I would look at the brake wires on the backside of each wheel prior to moving to see if you melted any of the wiring, the wires to the brakes seem to melt prior to the coach wiring. The only real way to tell about or inspect the magnets is to pull the hubs of the wheels. So you may want an RV shop or break shop if out of warranty to look at the brakes. If it looks OK try and pull forward or back and ensure the wheels are turning, if they are then try and stop when going slowly or hit the brake controller to lock the 5er wheels and attempt to move forward of course should be very hard to move if the brakes are working. In any case I would have the brakes inspected given how long they were operated.
Old 06-16-2015, 06:02 PM   #4

Agree with Post#3! Youroo!!
Old 06-16-2015, 07:32 PM   #5

Went to trailer to look at suggested items. Plug snapped into switch with a clean crisp snap and it took a firm but not difficult pull to disengage it. Did it several times with the same result. Wiring appears to be OK. There was some blackish grime but it appeared more to be dirty grease than rubbery waste. I didn't see any fusion that would indicate melting. So I guess now I will hook up and see what happens. That will have to wait until tomorrow or Thursday when the battery is charged. It seems to be taking a charge. Water level is good and ammeter on charger is slowly decreasing.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:13 PM   #6

Once a battery is drained down, like has happened to you, it will never be normal. If you do not boondock it might not matter but if you do go 'off the grid' you will need another battery.

It would be very very smart to have a professional inspect your brakes and while they are in there look at the bearings too. There could be damage that is not easily found until a failure on the road. JMHO.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:39 AM   #7

Electric Brakes & Bearings

Are you saying to check the bearings, just because you already have the hubs off, or because this could have damaged them?

I've never had electric brakes before, and don't know how they work. Do they work on solenoids? Is there a fuse?
Old 06-18-2015, 09:47 AM   #8

They work off of (Electro/Magnets)! Youroo!!