Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2017, 07:00 PM   #1

Circuit breaker life

The A/C in our Flagstaff 2011 V-Lite has tripped the breaker several times. I had the A/C checked out and the repairman said it was okay. Question: do RV circuit breakers "wear out" like residential ones? I.e., do I need to replace the breaker after it trips many times? Thanks in advance for your counsel.
jrmartin67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 07:03 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmartin67 View Post
The A/C in our Flagstaff 2011 V-Lite has tripped the breaker several times. I had the A/C checked out and the repairman said it was okay. Question: do RV circuit breakers "wear out" like residential ones? I.e., do I need to replace the breaker after it trips many times? Thanks in advance for your counsel.
Is the circuit breaker that's tripping the 20 amp one that the A/C circuit is on, or is possibly a 30 amp MAIN circuit breaker to the whole RV?

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 07:06 PM   #3

It is the 20 amp.
Old 07-09-2017, 07:12 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmartin67 View Post
It is the 20 amp.
Yes, they can get weaker over time/trips. Replacing is not hard (just make sure to match the style you have in your RV). If after you replace it, you continue to have it tripping, you most likely have a problem somewhere.

Another question since it is the hot time of year, and low voltage can cause higher amp usage in motors....is this circuit breaker tripping something that has been occurring at just one place, or has it been happening at different outlets/places?

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 07:15 PM   #5

They can wear out. It isn't normal(someone smart will prolly chime in). The RV manufacturers use pretty much the cheapest stuff out there...so these are prolly cheap too. I would pick-up a couple and change it. If it's like my old RV they won't cost very much. I would try to borrow/buy an amprobe and see what's happening. I don't suppose you have an EMS? You could turn the other breakers off and see the true amp draw. The a/c over amping can be caused by several things.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 07:37 PM   #6

Thanks! I've experienced this in multiple locations, plus I have a surge/low voltage protector on the pole. I personally thing there may be an issue with the A/C, too. Seems I have to turn the fan on manually and let it run a few minutes before switching to "Cool".

Tags
breaker