Old 01-21-2016, 07:21 PM   #11
Jack of All Trades

You best be using at least a 12 gauge extension cord for running a heater and a dehumidifier. It would be very easy to overload most extension cords and that 15 amp outlet with those loads. Overload = heat = FIRE!
Most heaters do not recommend being operated from an extension cord as the wire gauge and plug ends cannot take a high resistance load.

ScanGauge, TST 507 TPMS
RJHuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 01:07 AM   #12

Be careful about resetting breakers too often. That can cause a fire because the wires are getting hot They trip for a reason. An overload is usually the problem. Fix the problem first ... then reset the breaker.

Old 01-23-2016, 09:21 AM   #13

When we had a PUP, we ran a 10-gauge extension cord back to the outside pedestal, and plugged our electric heater into that extension cord. Bypasses your your inside electrical system entirely. Then you have plenty of available power in your PUP. Just run the extension cord through a convenient place where the tent material meets.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 09:42 AM   #14
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator42 View Post
Be careful about resetting breakers too often. That can cause a fire because the wires are getting hot They trip for a reason. An overload is usually the problem. Fix the problem first ... then reset the breaker.
As I posted before, keep in mind that the breakers FR uses are the lowest cost, lowest quality available and trip for no reason whatsoever (they are JUNK). Suggest replacing all of them with a quality breaker from Eaton, Cutler Hammer, etc.
Old 01-23-2016, 10:02 AM   #15

I don't know what brand breakers FR uses on trailers, but the ones in our Sunseeker are Square D Homeline series. They are normal residential breakers. I used a Homeline breaker panel and breakers to rewire my mother's house over 10 years ago and there have been no problems.

As for tripping breakers in an RV, the convertor in our Sunseeker is on the same 15 amp circuit breaker as some outlets. I cannot run an electric heater on high (1500 watts - 12 amps) on that circuit. It's fine on low, which is about 750 watts, until my dearly beloved navigator fires up her hair dryer in the bathroom.

RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breaker