Old 06-23-2016, 09:45 PM   #1

Clearance lights partially out

When hooking up my Sandpiper 5th wheel today to pull it next to my house for loading, I noticed that my front top clearance lights did not work. I then inspected around the camper and all the side marker, tail lights, and tag light work. On the rear the two left (drivers side) top clearance lights work but the right side do not. In order to rule out a TV fuse, while plugged into shore power, I jumped the running light to the positive terminal on the TV power cord and the clearance lights were still not working while the other running lights were. Any suggestions for repairing would be appreciated. I am heading out for an 8 day trip Saturday and while I have no current plans to drive after dark, one never knows what might happen.

Old 06-23-2016, 09:47 PM   #2

To me this sounds like you lost the ground.

2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:56 PM   #3
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Bulbs burnt out? Pull a lense off and wiggle the bulb while power is on...
Old 06-23-2016, 10:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
To me this sounds like you lost the ground.
Yeah,those lights have the ground thru one of the attachment screws. On an aluminum sidded trailer,the steel screw corrodes where it touches the aluminum. Not sure how they do it on a Filar wall but you can bet its cheap and quick.
Old 06-24-2016, 09:08 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies. Assuming it's a bad ground, where would I begin to look. I have a junction box mounted on the back of the king pin box. I opened the cover on that and all wires appear to be connected sufficiently and there is a ground post in the box. I checked it for tightness and all appeared to be in order. I also wiggled the wires to see if there was a possible short and find nothing. Where is the most likely place for the ground connection on the chassis. My underbelly is enclosed with the corrugated plastic panels which I assume would have to be removed to access the wiring. However, since it is the top lights that are not working, I am afraid the wiring is going through the ceiling. My unit is still under warranty until August, but given the norm for most dealer service centers, my camping season will be shot if I take it in now.
Old 06-24-2016, 09:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbomax View Post
Yeah,those lights have the ground thru one of the attachment screws. On an aluminum sidded trailer,the steel screw corrodes where it touches the aluminum. Not sure how they do it on a Filar wall but you can bet its cheap and quick.
Sounds like, assuming the above is true on your unit, you need to remove the light sockets, one at a time, redo any ground connections (one of the socket mounting screws thru the aluminum siding that has a wire attached to it) and try the lights after each socket with a ground is reworked to see if the issue is fixed.
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
12 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:34 AM   #7
CANADA FROG RALLY 2017

A Digital Meter would work to test for voltage. I doubt all bulbs are bad on a 2016 RV but who knows.
Take off one of the lights. I bet a loop through connection is broken. Check all connections. You also have a non metal trailer so the lights each have a ground connection. There are butt splice crimps most likely, make sure they have not stripped a wire or crimped insulation instead.
2016 Ford F 350 Lariat Power Stroke Diesel Crew Cab FX4
2008 Golden Falcon 380PA Park Model Model

"Oh Canada,True North Strong and Free!"
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 10:03 AM   #8

Thanks for the help. Will try RSchleder's and B and B's steps when I get home from work this afternoon. Also, for what its worth, I did just finish washing the RV prior to hooking up to pull beside my house. I guess it is possible that water may have gotten in and shorted a wire?
Old 06-24-2016, 10:12 AM   #9
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Maybe find an auto repair shop close by....if the lights have ever worked, wouldn't take much to fix

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 06-24-2016, 10:25 AM   #10
Mod free 5er

Remove the lens, sand paper the bulb and socket. These lights are notorious for loosing bulb to holder connections.

Tags
light