Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2013, 02:14 PM   #1

Coax?

I'd like to run a TV outside and can add a Coax outlet and run if needed. However, wondering if I'm running off my antenna, would I be able to utilize the coax input (like for a cable hookup) to run to my TV? I don't think these are directional, are they? I;m basically looking to use a port designed for input, as output for a TV.
brockhals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:34 PM   #2

I'm not sure what you are saying, but if you want to create another coaxial output for another TV, just be sure you split after the output of your antenna amp.
Curt Q20

zs325RES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:42 PM   #3

What I'm wanting to do is use the cable input on the camper (if the site had cable, this is where it'd plug into to feed the TVs inside instead of the antenna). Use this port to plug in my outside TV if I'm using my antenna. Turning the input into an output
Old 08-14-2013, 02:48 PM   #4
Always Learning

I doubt it would work. I'm having a hard time describing why- but basically, your antennae booster has to be on for the antennae to give your TV's its signal. When you do that, it disabled the cable inlet on the side of the camper to your TVs.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:00 PM   #5

that's what I'm afraid of. Where is the booster typically located?
Old 08-14-2013, 03:32 PM   #6
dap

There should be three cables connected to the booster,change the center cable to the connector for a second tv and that will back feed to the outside connector .The booster is where the main tv is connected,contains a push button for the amp.
dap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:42 PM   #7

I have 2 plugs in my tv area of the TT. One connects to the antenna the other to the in coming cable line.

I have ran a short piece of coax between the 2 creating the ability for me to then plug a tv into the outside (cable connection) and get the over the air signal.

vizsla owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dap View Post
There should be three cables connected to the booster,change the center cable to the connector for a second tv and that will back feed to the outside connector .The booster is where the main tv is connected,contains a push button for the amp.
I agree.

No, the coax wire is not directional, but you have to change how it's connected inside. If they put splitters on the cable-input wire that would be a problem.

Here's what the back of the antenna booster control looks like.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2631300913.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	37713

If there is already more than one TV in your RV then you will have a connection on the "Set 2 Output" port. You would need to add a splitter off of that to continue to drive that additional TV and also your new "outside" TV. Remove the "Cable Input" wire and put it on the other side of the splitter output (or directly on the "Set 2 Output" port if there is no second TV).

You could use an AB Switch to control where that cable goes to make it easy to reconfigure if needed.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:08 AM   #9

Well...didn't pick up any channels on the TV antenna. Are there any other options for this (i.e. better antena, booster, etc.). Don't want the subscription of satellite but gotta have my football this fall.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockhals View Post
Well...didn't pick up any channels on the TV antenna. Are there any other options for this (i.e. better antena, booster, etc.). Don't want the subscription of satellite but gotta have my football this fall.
I'll assume that you raised the antenna with the crank and then rotated it to point at the nearby TV station antennas. Did you turn the booster on? When you scanned for channels on your TV, did you select "Air" on the menu instead of "Cable"?

How far are you from the broadcast towers? If you have a smartphone, there's an app called TV Towers USA that will help you.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:15 AM   #11

No idea how far or direction for that matter. I did rotate it as well but nothing. Think the TV was on Cable though...will have to check that one

Booster was on, but there's no cell service at this site (for AT&T anyway) so the app won't help me.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:32 AM   #12

If the signal is weak, you would have to rotate it pretty accurately so just random try's isn't going to work (quickly).

Since you know in advance where you're going to camp, use the app while you still have signal to help you determine the angle of rotation (off of true north) and then your phone compass to orient that relative to how your RV is parked.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:40 AM   #13

Ok thanks Barry. How will I know how the antenna is pointing? Is that the point on the crank? Point that in the direction?
Old 08-19-2013, 11:01 AM   #14

I believe the point on the crank is off by 90 degrees. It's easiest to just to look outside until you figure it out. The antenna's extended arms should be open to embrace the source of the signal (eg, not pointed at the source).
Old 08-19-2013, 11:07 AM   #15

I use the cable connection all the time for a tv out side while ushering ant. Works great and I know I am going through booster due to fact I forgot to turn it on once and no channels as soon as switched on I had signal. Now your may vary
mshell56118 is offline   Reply With Quote