Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2016, 03:13 PM   #21
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
I really cant believe that the Moderators have let this (UNSAFE/LIFE THREATING) Post to go on this Long! This type of Crazy practice CAN/WILL KILL Power Company People as well as Burn down Homes! Youroo!!

I am not so sure that it will kill power workers.. They check the lines before they work on them. But I will agree it is not very safe and not a good practice. I guess the good part of this is natural selection takes effect... You either live through it because you did it "right" or when the power comes back you fry your geni then can never do it again...

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 03:17 PM   #22
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
If both sides aren't discussed here, then where?
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 03:18 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Oh, I agree... But like the last thread on this some months ago... People will do stupid things regardless of the rules (case in point weight police threads). I have a home generator that I wired to a transfer switch this is the correct, not as cheap method, but my home is safe and will not burn to the ground...

I was actually surprised my home was built with a switch between the heater and the breaker box. An outlet was then between the switch and the furnace so a suicide cord could be used to power the furnace in an outage. I was shocked that was even allowed to be put there.

Pierre, My recommendations... Do it right. If you need to ask on here it is probably outside your scope. I ran extension cords until I could pay to purchase the right parts to hook a transfer switch in.

Ask an electrician to see how and IF it can be done safely. Half assing it might get you hurt or killed!
Already have the transfer switch on home electrical panel and everything is safe ....all i want to do is use my rv generator to supply power to house transfer switch in case of power failure....now please do not panic on safety the house is equipped to receive generator power....now how to connect with RV ??
Old 01-06-2016, 03:24 PM   #24
Who Dares, Wins

Well if you are all wired up and have a proper inlet box at the house the next question will remain as to if you can wire an outlet onto your MoHo. I do not know anything about the Onan geni hard mounted in your MoHo to even try and give advise there..

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 01-06-2016, 03:34 PM   #25

Quote:
I am not so sure that it will kill power workers.. They check the lines before they work on them.
I don't want to take this further OT - but backfeeding can and has hurt and killed linesmen.

While the linemen -should- be checking the lines, and hogging them off to ground; it doesn't always happen, particularly in larger-scale outages...

Also transformers work in both directions; so that 240v that's been backfed from your home generator can be stepped up to 7200v of more on the primary side of the transformer.

Nights Camped 2016: 44

Nights Booked 2017: 11
Nights Camped 2017: 6
OntarioFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 03:38 PM   #26
Who Dares, Wins

Well I guess the dander on the necks can get lowered since Pierre says he had a proper wire job to the house. SO no one will die at least today..

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 01-06-2016, 03:41 PM   #27

Quote:
I was actually surprised my home was built with a switch between the heater and the breaker box. An outlet was then between the switch and the furnace so a suicide cord could be used to power the furnace in an outage. I was shocked that was even allowed to be put there.
Are you sure it's wired that way?

It's required to have a switch/disconnect on the furnace (at least in the CEC- I'm in Canada...) - and having that switch feed an outlet; then having the furnace connected by a cordset isn't un-heard of.

Makes it easy to power the furnace in the event of a power outage - you just unplug the furnace from the outlet, and plug it into an extension cord from the gennie...

It would be very strange (and illegal) to have that setup reversed, and have the outlet wired to the furnace, and the power supply connected to a cordset.

Nights Camped 2016: 44

Nights Booked 2017: 11
Nights Camped 2017: 6
OntarioFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 03:49 PM   #28
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntarioFireFighter View Post
Are you sure it's wired that way?

It's required to have a switch/disconnect on the furnace (at least in the CEC- I'm in Canada...) - and having that switch feed an outlet; then having the furnace connected by a cordset isn't un-heard of.

Makes it easy to power the furnace in the event of a power outage - you just unplug the furnace from the outlet, and plug it into an extension cord from the gennie...

It would be very strange (and illegal) to have that setup reversed, and have the outlet wired to the furnace, and the power supply connected to a cordset.

Oh yeah.. It's wired that way! I have two emergency shut offs, one at the top of the basement steps and one by the unit. Then this single outlet and switch.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 01-06-2016, 04:00 PM   #29

Quote:
I am not so sure that it will kill power workers.. They check the lines before they work on them. But I will agree it is not very safe and not a good practice. I guess the good part of this is natural selection takes effect... You either live through it because you did it "right" or when the power comes back you fry your geni then can never do it again...

What if the line worker tests the line and it's dead, then starts working on it and it goes live in his/her hands when some DIYer flips on their RV generator? Will you be there to discuss natural selection with the widow, children and parents?

People who do this can and should be held civilly and criminally liable.

Oh, I know, there's a MANUAL shutoff switch and it will ALWAYS be in the right position, event if you are not there and someone else in the family turns the generator on thinking they know what they are doing or they can't wait until you get home from work, or from St. Louis. Criminal negligence.

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Old 01-07-2016, 09:18 AM   #30

Main Breaker MUST remain off,,, if you have a Generator feeding the House !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:27 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Main Breaker MUST remain off,,, if you have a Generator feeding the House !!!
Code here requires a Transfer Switch! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:35 AM   #32

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Transfer switch as Youroo and Ontario Fire has mentioned. In the case of being too cheap wanting not to spend any money for a transfer switch buy a separate panel that feeds the desired emergency loads, this is plugged to a stove outlet then you remove said plug and hook this up to the generator.

As far as double male plug cause that is all you have, stupid move!

Please be careful here, english is not some peoples first tongue.

Pierre ne pas utiliser un cordon double masculin . Aller ŕ Reno Depot et obtenir ce qu'on appelle un commutateur de transfert .

Santé
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:55 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post

Pierre ne pas utiliser un cordon double masculin . Aller ŕ Reno Depot et obtenir ce qu'on appelle un commutateur de transfert .

Santé

Who let the French in here!?

😜

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS

Tags
power