Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2018, 02:12 PM   #1

Consumer Reports on Generators

Consumer Reports is in the midst of a thorough evaluation of inverter generators...2KW class models to be precise. In a preliminary report, they are recommending the Honda (of course) a Westinghouse model (surprise) and the "Predator Brand" sold by Harbor Freight. The praised the Predator for its low noise levels. The Predator costs less than half the price of the Honda.

By coincidence, Harbor Freight may be running discounts on their Predator line...including a roughly 3500 watt model favored by people who run AC.

A friend just bought a Predator 2KW to pair with his Honda. He loves it. It pairs perfectly to run his 15 KBTU AC, and he says it's as quiet or quieter than his Honda.

Just FYI.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:27 PM   #2

I'll stick with my Champion 3400. It is the most reliable and easy to service generator I've ever owned. The oil drain plug is a hose that allows me to drain the oil without any tools...just squeeze the hose clamp with my two fingers to remove it from its holder and lay flat to drain oil. My Champion can run air conditioning from eco mode and the remote start/shutdown fob/feature is incredible. 3 year warranty for Champion is a plus too.

Does consumer reports do long term testing of their generators? Say, put 3000 hours on them and see if the engine can make it that long under a load?
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:48 AM   #3

Just my $.02 from what I witnessed. Not trying to offend anyone

I was camping just last week at the beach and paid special attention to generators as I am in the market for one. Witnessed a few different ones:

Champion 3400 Dual Fuel - Not too loud. Certainly noticeably louder than the other inverter generators on this list but they were both 2k generators. I would say that while a little louder, the tone was not annoying at all.

Honda 2000 - It was a Honda. Very quiet. Tone was not annoying. It was positioned at the rear of of a 20-22ft trailer backed into the site. At the front of the site, it was almost unnoticeable. It was actually run well beyond the 9pm quiet time deadline for some reason without being an issue

Predator 2000 - It was very quite. Not as quiet as the honda but pretty darn quiet. The only negative thing I noticed was that the audible tone of the generator was tinny (that's not a word I know) and it bothered my ears.

Standard open frame generator - WOW! Someone set this 5500 watt open frame generator at the front of his site and ran it ALL day. It was obnoxiously loud and many neighbors took issue.

The Honda was the standout but as I will not spend that $$ on a camping generator, I am still looking.
Bushfamily5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 01:19 PM   #4

Try seeing if anyone has a smaller Champion to have a better comparison to the Honda. Can also hook a couple of them up in parallel if needed
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 12:44 PM   #5

Champion

I have the Champion 3500/4000 and love it, been using for years, nice and quiet, i just bought a new toy hauler and was gonna have the dealer install a onan but for the cost ill just use my $300 unit. runs everything just fine. i had it sitting next to a honda a few years back and the only time you could tell the diff is when the honda went to idle mode. and again it was $2k
Firedude26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 12:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedude26 View Post
I have the Champion 3500/4000 and love it, been using for years, nice and quiet, i just bought a new toy hauler and was gonna have the dealer install a onan but for the cost ill just use my $300 unit. runs everything just fine. i had it sitting next to a honda a few years back and the only time you could tell the diff is when the honda went to idle mode. and again it was $2k
That's something that people don't factor in, that the bigger generator will typically be quieter while working as it's working less than the smaller/quieter counter part.
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 12:56 PM   #7

I did a lot of research before buying our two Honda 2200 inverter generators. I know there are others that are cheaper, however I went with the Honda's because of their proven reliability. I also liked the ideal of being able to lift and carry one around, about 50 lbs. full of fuel. I ran a test with the two that I purchased to see how long they would run on the .95 of a gallon of gasoline that each holds. I filled each tank full, paralleled both together, started them and went inside and turned the 15K Air Conditioner on. I set the thermostat to 72 degrees, the outside air temperature was 88 degrees. Both generators ran for seven hours with the AC unit on. I have since mounted them on the rear of our 5th wheel TT, inside of a lockable aluminum storage box for security. The setup allows me to operate the generators while locked in the box. I can run the AC while being towed or sitting still.
Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 01:00 PM   #8

Bought 2 Champion 2000 inverter gennies when on sale at Lowes a couple months ago. Total less than 1 Honda and so nice, quiet too.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 01:11 PM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
And there you have it... perspective.

If you have the 3500/4000 Champion it is NOT an inverter generator but rather an open frame generator that is WAY too noisy for in a campground.
If you use it to boondock on private land it really doesn't matter.

My point... what is OK for some, isn't for others.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 01:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post

If you have the 3500/4000 Champion it is NOT an inverter generator but rather an open frame generator that is WAY too noisy for in a campground.

ok whats the DB rating thats OK for campgrounds? ive never had an issue, but before i buy another one id would like to know the rules,
thanks
Old 06-22-2018, 01:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Do you have any audio of it running?
cmysstailights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 01:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmysstailights View Post
Do you have any audio of it running?
website says 68 dBA
the 3500 inverted one says 59 dBA thats from the website.
Old 06-22-2018, 01:45 PM   #13
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Seems different Parks have different limits but in the many years of R/V forum reading, that limit is usually referred to as between 60 DB and 65 DB and less.

The open frame generators are usually above that and the 4000/3500 Champion I referenced is listed at 68 DB.

Here is what the National Park guideline is for Assateague....

"GENERATORS: Generators are prohibited during quiet hours. Generator use is always prohibited in Loop B of Bayside
drive-in, Oceanside walk-in and group sites. Generators must conform to National Park Service regulations pertaining to
audio disturbances, which states that "motorized equipment or machinery cannot exceed a noise level of 60 decibels
measured on the A-weighted scale at 50 feet" (36 CFR 2.12). Generator use and battery charging by engine idling is
prohibited in generator free areas."

This information was found *HERE*

Most INVERTER generators fall within the acceptable limits.

There is a new 'HYBRID' inverter generator that may/may not meet the standards.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 01:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Seems different Parks have different limits but in the many years of R/V forum reading, that limit is usually referred to as between 60 DB and 65 DB and less.

The open frame generators are usually above that and the 4000/3500 Champion I referenced is listed at 68 DB.

Here is what the National Park guideline is for Assateague....

"GENERATORS: Generators are prohibited during quiet hours. Generator use is always prohibited in Loop B of Bayside
drive-in, Oceanside walk-in and group sites. Generators must conform to National Park Service regulations pertaining to
audio disturbances, which states that "motorized equipment or machinery cannot exceed a noise level of 60 decibels
measured on the A-weighted scale at 50 feet" (36 CFR 2.12). Generator use and battery charging by engine idling is
prohibited in generator free areas."

This information was found *HERE*

Most INVERTER generators fall within the acceptable limits.

There is a new 'HYBRID' inverter generator that may/may not meet the standards.
GOOD INFO!!! thanks
Old 06-22-2018, 02:09 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lins View Post
That's something that people don't factor in, that the bigger generator will typically be quieter while working as it's working less than the smaller/quieter counter part.
Unfortunately Firedude is talking about an open-frame contractor-style generator.
So, unlike an inverter generator, it will be the same loudness, no matter the demand.
I own the same generator and would NEVER take it camping. I use it for home backup power.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 06:48 PM   #16

Predator is great unit

I run my entire 5th wh 31 ft Artic Wolf on this unit and it is great for $699. and another $40.00 Coupon. Run it 24 hrs straight half with load and half just running alone. Change the oil with Amsoil 20/50 motorcycle oil after that and forget it... See videohttps://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=crmas&p=predator+3500+video#id=1&vid=bcb4 cce8025d6cb8866710460a6554ec&action=click
RECONUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 06:59 PM   #17

Quote:

Those open frame champions 4000/3500 are much quieter then you may think . i agree still to loud for most rv parks but ok for boondocking away from it all . i use a 2000w inverter champion and very happy with it . my son in his work . out in the oil fields have about 8 of the champion 4000/3500 and they run 24/7 and have been for the last yr no issues . i say that's a pretty good test of champions
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 07:25 PM   #18

Well i love the 2 that i have and since i only used it once in a campground and like i said the Honda that was running right next mine was as loud, i was impressed. i will leave it in my unit and use when needed. i could use the old homelite i had and it would break your eardrums, lol
Does anyone have one of the Onan 5.5 mounted in there unit? was wondering how loud they are and if there is a vibration while there running, i priced one for mine and it was WAY expensive.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:45 PM   #19
Denver, CO

Why have 2 2k generators when you can install a micro air easy start to you AC and save all that gas and weight?

I don't get it.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:03 PM   #20

So far Champion does not make the Duel Fuel 3400/3500 "inverter" generator with remote start that would be the 3100. of what i have read and googled the 3100 should start and run a 15kw ac but it is a gas only model. goes to you preference. Also with all of the gens coming out who can keep up with it all. Get a quite one and go with it. I can understand the plus of 2 2Kw units but for the power it is 2 times the trouble.

just my thoughts
beavertrap is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator