Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2018, 08:41 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedude26 View Post
website says 68 dBA
the 3500 inverted one says 59 dBA thats from the website.
Thx
cmysstailights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:28 PM   #22

I own the Champion 4000/3500 like the one posted by 5 picker. Love it to death. Got it for $270 at Walmart. I have not tried to run it in a campground out of respect for people nearby. I have ran it side by side with a friends Honda 2000. The Honda is just about as loud when it is fully loaded but MUCH quieter when operating at a light load. The biggest surprise that I had was how much quieter another friends Harbor Freight 3200 open frame generator is! I don’t know if they are all that quiet or he just got lucky. ( he bought it used). I was going to buy one until I found out how it’s wired. It’s wired so that the effect is like having 2 1600 watt generators that can’t be added together because the 2 sides are out of phase. With the Champion (and others) you can plug in the camper and get all 3500 watts (or whatever the generator is rated at) through one 30 amp plug. Open frame generators sound output doesn’t change much with load. Not true with inverters! Hen this one dies ( if it ever does) I will get an inverter hybrid. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:37 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
Why have 2 2k generators when you can install a micro air easy start to you AC and save all that gas and weight?

I don't get it.

Not everyone is comfortable with installing it [emoji51]
Fluffywhitedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:20 AM   #24

Noise is personal and subjective. One mans moise is anothers white noise in the background. While camping in an area with no hook ups, we were close to a nice diesel pusher. We all needed AC even at might. I could tell every time his came on. His factory, on board, generator was that loud. I run my Champion in the bed of the truck with the tailgate closed Can barely tell it’s running from three feet away inside the trailer. No one complained as far as I know. I need mine to run an oxygen generator machine
Happy trails! ��
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:37 PM   #25

What I have never understood is what is different in the construction of an open frame genny versus an inverter. How do inverters reduce their noise levels? Is it really that hard to retrofit an open frame so that it approaches the noise levels of an inverter? Anybody here done that?
MOODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 09:51 PM   #26

Open frame non-inverter generator runs at 3600 rpm continuously regardless of load in order to get 60 hertz alternating current.

Inverter generator are typically quieter because they are running most of the time below their max RPM. They do not need to be run at 3600 rpm and the engine's speed is dependent on load. At full load, an inverter generator may be as loud as an open frame except there is some sound dampening from the enclosure.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 10:04 PM   #27

I have a predator 4000, run the house on it during outages.
72dbm. I can hear it throughout the house when all closed up, but neighbors running the same unit and I don't hear his.
Had it for two years now and find it reliable, and only used once for camping, on private land.
1995 GMC Yukon Sport
1986 Jayco1016PUP
Days Camped:'13-10 '14-20 '15-6 '16-9 '17-14 '18-3 '19-12 '20-14 '21-12
XenoRev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 11:18 PM   #28

My understanding of inverter generators is is the generator is Direct Current that is put through a pure sine wave inverter to make nice smooth AC with a steady voltage. When the generator is not loaded very much the computer that runs the unit throttles the engine down. Usually inverter generators are in a plastic case which also helps with sound control. The hybrid that I mentioned in a earlier post is an open frame inverter generator. The typical open frame generator has an AC generator that has to run at 3600 rpm to keep a steady 60hz. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 12:45 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2504 View Post
My understanding of inverter generators is is the generator is Direct Current that is put through a pure sine wave inverter to make nice smooth AC with a steady voltage.
It's actually an AC generator which is then converted to DC and then back up to 60HZ AC.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 01:47 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
It's actually an AC generator which is then converted to DC and then back up to 60HZ AC.

Correct. An for those nerds like myself, here is the whole detailed information, including the Yamaha Boost design:

https://patents.google.com/patent/US6819007

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 05:37 AM   #31
R.J.

Generator

I recently bought a Firman 3300 Watt generator. Only used for a week so far but runs everything including our A/C. I own a Ryobi 2200 Wattt but can't run A/C. Firman is from china but has a 3 year warranty and is very quiet. Has all the things you would expect including a 30 amp RV plug in and USB as well as 12V plugs. My brother and I both researched for about 9 months before buying. Just my two cents, and something else to consider. Can buy from Lowes online.
Sibster24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 10:00 AM   #32

Run your AC on 2200

If you want to consider running your RV AC unit with a 2200 you can with a Micro Air Easy Start
RECONUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 10:30 AM   #33

I started out with a Champion 4000/3500 watt open frame generator a dozen years ago. If you put it at the same distance away as the larger Honda Inverter/generator it's almost as quiet when loaded with a running A/C unit.

Beware when comparing mfr's spec's for sound levels. Some use the 50 foot distance and others, like Champion use 23 feet. Naturally the generator that is having it's sound level measured at twice the distance will sound quieter.

Recently I purchased the Champion 3500W Dual Fuel Electric Start. I got older and wanted something that was easier to start and would run longer on a "tank". A 20# propane tank will give me 15 hours of battery charge time. Twice what a tank of gasoline will.

Yes, the inverter is a lot quieter than the open frame but it should be. It charges batteries at a far lower engine speed than the open frame. Even when running at full speed the unit has more sound deadening material in it's enclosure.

I still own the old 4000/3500 w unit and use regularly to keep it running well. I drag it out for power outages. After a dozen years it still starts on the first of second pull, depending on how recently it was last used.

FWIW, the Champion is using a "clone" of the Honda engines and use a cast iron cylinder sleeve for durability. Hard to tell the difference when side by side.

Perhaps the predator is as good. Reason I would turn my back on it is lack of the 30 amp RV plug on the 3500w unit and the small wheels. The Champion is easy to move with it's fold out handle and larger wheels. Just my view.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 11:24 AM   #34

Predator 3500 has RV 30 amp plug !!
RECONUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 11:52 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by RECONUSMC View Post
If you want to consider running your RV AC unit with a 2200 you can with a Micro Air Easy Start
I installed the Micro Air this weekend. Works as advertised. But, running on a single Honda 2k the generator is actually noisier than the system is when running the paired Hondas.

I going to use the dual setup. With the BERG fuel tanks I can go 30 hours continuous run before refueling. Since the MicroAir has gentler start cycles that may increase.
Old 06-25-2018, 12:04 PM   #36
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I started out with a Champion 4000/3500 watt open frame generator a dozen years ago. If you put it at the same distance away as the larger Honda Inverter/generator it's almost as quiet when loaded with a running A/C unit.

Beware when comparing mfr's spec's for sound levels. Some use the 50 foot distance and others, like Champion use 23 feet. Naturally the generator that is having it's sound level measured at twice the distance will sound quieter.

Recently I purchased the Champion 3500W Dual Fuel Electric Start. I got older and wanted something that was easier to start and would run longer on a "tank". A 20# propane tank will give me 15 hours of battery charge time. Twice what a tank of gasoline will.

Yes, the inverter is a lot quieter than the open frame but it should be. It charges batteries at a far lower engine speed than the open frame. Even when running at full speed the unit has more sound deadening material in it's enclosure.

I still own the old 4000/3500 w unit and use regularly to keep it running well. I drag it out for power outages. After a dozen years it still starts on the first of second pull, depending on how recently it was last used.

FWIW, the Champion is using a "clone" of the Honda engines and use a cast iron cylinder sleeve for durability. Hard to tell the difference when side by side.

Perhaps the predator is as good. Reason I would turn my back on it is lack of the 30 amp RV plug on the 3500w unit and the small wheels. The Champion is easy to move with it's fold out handle and larger wheels. Just my view.
Quote:
Predator 3500 has RV 30 amp plug !!
Yes it does... but not the typical 30a R/V plug the Champion has.
The Predator requires the use of an adapter.

Not advocating anything... just saying.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 12:16 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
Why have 2 2k generators when you can install a micro air easy start to you AC and save all that gas and weight?

I don't get it.

With the Easy Start, you can most likely run the AC, but probably not much of anything else. You may have to turn off battery charging, water heater, no microwave, hair drier, etc. So having the ES and a pair of 2K gens, you can probably run a 30 amp trailer as if you were on shore power. Also, a single 2K gen plus the ES may have the gen running at full power especially if you have other loads, 2 gens plus ES will probably run mostly in eco mode which is quieter than a single gen.

So it depends on your wants and needs.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 01:14 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
The Predator requires the use of an adapter.

Not advocating anything... just saying.
Yep so did my 3K Yamaha that I sold. Not a big deal to use an adapter.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 06:26 PM   #39

Quote:

These work, I use a 2500w westinghouse with no issues.
oscarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:09 PM   #40
ENE

There's an app you can get on your smart phone to measure sound levels. From my understanding most company's measure their db levels from 20 feet away with the exhaust pointing towards the sound meter.
I also purchase a Harbor Freight Predator and took it back because it was to loud, I didn't need a sound meter for that one.
Although expensive I like my 2 X Honda EU200i, easy to cary (50lbs) and I always take one with me and if I think I might meed the AC I will bring both of the Hondas.
I'm sure there are other gens out there but it's a personal preference what best works for you.
ENE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator