Old 01-17-2016, 05:02 PM   #11

My understanding is, for the longest life of deep cycle batteries they shouldn't go below 50% of capacity, whenever possible . That changes things signifantly.

Old 01-17-2016, 05:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerDealer View Post
My understanding is, for the longest life of deep cycle batteries they shouldn't go below 50% of capacity, whenever possible . That changes things signifantly.

You are right, you don't want to ever discharge your batteries below 50%

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

spock123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 09:13 PM   #13

A triple rate charger such as a Progressive Dynamics one will charge your batteries faster than the power converter that came with your unit from the factory.

I almost feel guilty selling my factory power converters on craigslist when I upgrade mine each time I buy a new camper.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:36 PM   #14

From Trojan Battery website:

Discharging batteries is entirely a function of your particular application.

However, below is list of helpful items:

Shallow discharges will result in a longer battery life.
50% (or less) discharges are recommended.
80% discharge is the maximum safe discharge.
Do not fully discharge flooded batteries (80% or more). This will damage (or kill) the battery.
Many experts recommend operating batteries only between the 50% to 85% of full charge range. A periodic equalization charge is a must when using this practice.
Do not leave batteries deeply discharged for any length of time.
Lead acid batteries do not develop a memory and do not need to be fully discharged before recharging.
Batteries should be charged after each period of use.
Batteries that charge up but cannot support a load are most likely bad and should be tested. Refer to the Testing section for proper procedure.

This applies to TRUE Deep cycle batteries, not "RV/Marine" types which should NEVER be discharged beyond 50%
Old 01-17-2016, 10:31 PM   #15

My point exactly, I have 2 T105's. As per Trojan, they will last the longest it they are only discharged 50% or less
Old 01-17-2016, 10:35 PM   #16

They're not like the old ni cads that have memory. You would be using a "discharge cycle" it you used 80% of their capacity. Batteries only have so many cycles and then need replaced
Old 01-18-2016, 12:54 AM   #17

Not entirely accurate and my rebuttal has a manufacturer weblink to validate my comments.

Lead acid batteries have greater discharge/cycles based on lower depth of discharge.

Trojan batteries can last about 2900 cycles if discharged only 20% and 500 cycles if taken to 80% discharge. Reliant AGM | Trojan Battery Company It is to your advantage to use as many batteries as you can fit/afford to reduce depth of discharge and extend battery life.

I've had batteries last only a season when I abused them by discharging them too much too often.
Old 01-18-2016, 02:01 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post

Trojan batteries can last about 2900 cycles if discharged only 20% and 500 cycles if taken to 80% discharge.

If accurate, those numbers would argue for fewer batteries and deeper discharge.

Basis: 1 pair of T-105 batteries in series giving 12 volts and 225 AH capacity.

Discharging 20% = 45 AH used. Times 2900 cycles, total "Lifetime" AH delivered is 130,500 AH.

Discharging 80% = 180 AH used. Times 500 cycles, total "Lifetime" AH delivered is 90,000 AH

To get the same 180 AH capacity per charging cycle that the 80% discharge gives, you would need 4 times as many batteries for the 20% scheme.

If you boondock for 50 days a year and recharge daily, the 80% discharge scheme should give you 10 years of use.

Just sayin'
Old 01-18-2016, 05:18 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
To answer the original question,

The Progressive Dynamics converter offers a much better charge management system which will prolong the life of your batteries and reduce potential for premature damage ( ie cell evaporation).

The PD converter is also a higher quality unit which in theory is less likely to cause problems when you need it.

The main electronics panel in most RVs consists of two sub units, the converter and the distribution/fuse/breaker panel. The replacement is fairly simple as you just replace the converter assy. In most cases they are same size ( or very close). Think the PD sizes are 45A and 65 A ( no 55A) hence the switch to 65A
I changed out my charger/convertor from the WFCO 8955 to a direct replacement progressive #PD4655/ progressive PD 4600 series. The progressive is a true 4 stage charger a WFCO 8955 is a 3 stage charger. The reason I changed was because of a fan failure. I choose Progressive because of the charge wizard. I can controll what my charger is doing. Also the added 4 th stage of desal mode which it will go into every 24 hrs for 15 mins. I have not had to add water since my change out. In hind site I should have went to the PD4665. It still would have been a direct replacement but 10 more amps. The progressive also comes with 2 fans for cooling not 1 fan like the WFCO unit. I use to beable to hear the WFCO fan but not the progressive with both going. See attached: Also after 2 WFCO either one would drop to float at 13.1 Progressive can read parasites and still drop to 13.1, as stated in the WFCO manual it will only drop to 13.1 if it will not read a draw for 48 hrs. So I was always in 13.5 not good for batteries unless you check your water weekly. It's a very easy change out, just wire from the old to wiring to the new board.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Progressive.pdf (443.5 KB, 30 views)

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter