Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2015, 09:47 PM   #1

Question Converter constantly cycling, lights "pulsating"

Sorry for the long description, just wanted to be sure to get all the info in.
I have a 2013 FR 29DSFB, I keep it plugged in to an outside outlet (not 30 amp) just to keep battery maintained, and to be able to turn on an interior light or two when needed, never run A/C, or any other appliances. I went in camper today and noticed the converter (WFCO 8955 P ) was cycling constantly, I could hear fan come on for maybe a second, and go off for the same amount of time. I turned an interior light on, and it was "pulsating" to the same time increment that the converter was. I used the troubleshooting guide in the manual and the converter seems to be working properly (13.65vdc with battery disconnected). I disconnected the battery and the "pulsating" and cycling of the converter stopped. Could I have a bad battery? I just purchased the TT last Monday at which time a new Interstate deep cycle battery was installed by the dealer. I know it is not unheard of for a new battery to be bad, just want to get some other opinions on what my problem may be. Also I did run the lights on just DC power, and they work, voltage on battery with it unplugged from system is 11.95vdc which is definitely low.

2013 FR Grey Wolf 29 DSFB
2006 Dodge 2500 Turbo Diesel
Yes it's a Cummins, and it's LOUD!
jthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 06:14 AM   #2

It sounds like the battery, Check the water in the battery. Yo might take it to Walmart or auto store and have them test it to see if it will hold a charge.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:05 AM   #3
Citrus County, Fl.

Check the date code on the battery. If it's stamped on the battery the first digit would be the year followed by the week produced. If it has a sticker, the first two characters represent the month and year. Would not be the first time a dealer stuck an old battery in a new unit. Also, any Interstate battery dealer can do a load test and a warranty exchange if needed.

https://www.interstatebatteries.com/...ur_battery.pdf
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 07:12 AM   #4

If it is plugged in all the time and only reads (11.9) on its own you have a Batt.Issue! Do a search at top under Elect. and they tell how to Pull fuses and check if (Batt or Converter)! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:32 AM   #5

Had similiar issue... found that during setup, emergency brakaway switch (brakes) had been accidentally pulled... reset switch and all returned to normal... just a thought
STGCM(SW) USN Ret 30 yrs.
Adony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:01 PM   #6

Had similar problems for a couple of years. Converter seemed to run constantly. When batteries finally gave up, I replaced them and the problem went away. Likely either the batteries or something like the breakaway switch pulling a load on the batteries. Converter working hard to keep batteries up.
RubberNail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 08:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adony View Post
Had similiar issue... found that during setup, emergency brakaway switch (brakes) had been accidentally pulled... reset switch and all returned to normal... just a thought
Thanks for all of the replies!! Update, I took battery to Interstate and had it tested, battery is good, it is a month old according to Interstate. I did forget to mention that my breakaway switch did get pulled when we got home from our last trip on Friday, did not find it until Sunday! It was hot to the touch and had started to melt, I currently have it removed awaiting a new one, so I think this may be my problem, the circuit breaker on the frame under the trailer had tripped, so my wiring was spared. I will get the switch replaced and see if that fixes the problem! Also, would it be normal for the fan on my converter to constantly cycle (on for a second or two, off for a second or two) when charging the battery? I am going to charge the battery off of the trailer and then re-install it to see if the fan deal quits. Again, thanks for all of the replies.

2013 FR Grey Wolf 29 DSFB
2006 Dodge 2500 Turbo Diesel
Yes it's a Cummins, and it's LOUD!
jthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 09:40 AM   #8

A fan cycling on the converter at the rate you mentioned isn't normal. That said, the hot breakaway switch and low battery voltage indicates a significant load on the electrical system, most likely a result of the pulled breakaway. If I were designing the converter, I'd set it up with current overload sensing which would shut it off for a second or two then let it start up again. This would protect the converter from a short circuit on the load side. I suspect you're running into a similar effect.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 10:06 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthorne View Post
Thanks for all of the replies!! Update, I took battery to Interstate and had it tested, battery is good, it is a month old according to Interstate. I did forget to mention that my breakaway switch did get pulled when we got home from our last trip on Friday, did not find it until Sunday! It was hot to the touch and had started to melt, I currently have it removed awaiting a new one, so I think this may be my problem, the circuit breaker on the frame under the trailer had tripped, so my wiring was spared. I will get the switch replaced and see if that fixes the problem! Also, would it be normal for the fan on my converter to constantly cycle (on for a second or two, off for a second or two) when charging the battery? I am going to charge the battery off of the trailer and then re-install it to see if the fan deal quits. Again, thanks for all of the replies.
If the breakaway switch was pulled for any length of time, there is a good possibility that you have damaged the brake magnets. Be sure to have them checked

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter, light