Old 08-22-2011, 11:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailit View Post
I have noticed with our Wolfpack, the converter fan will run all the time if the 5er is plugged into the house current (same setup as yours) when the weather is really hot (tomorrow, 110-112 forcasted). But, if I disconnect the the house current and just run off the two 12v marine batteries that I have on board, the converter fan doesn't run at all. I read somewhere that if the batteries are fully charged, the converter fan won't run, but if the batteries are low, the fan runs...what does that mean, I have know idea.
the fan will never run unless your are plugged into ac power (be it at your home, campground, or generator). so that is normal of yours to act like that. it is also normal for the fan not to run if the batteries are fully charged (and your are plugged into ac power). it is NOT NORMAL for the fan to run nonstop. it is usually a good indication that your batteries are not charging fully. sometime you may have a bad cell in a battery, or a bad battery all together. but like i said....it should not run constantly like mine is doing.....and yours is doing

2012 Dodge 2500 - deleted and tuned by H&S performance
Bocephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:48 PM   #12

another update.....

i was out playing with the breakers figuring out the ac system in my wolfpack. i found out that the 15A breaker labeled "GFI" not only controls the GFI style outlets by the sinks, it also controls some non-GFI style outlets in the living room as well as the battery charger. i get a .3 - .4 volt differential in my battery voltage when toggling this breaker off and on.

i then figured out which breaker my fridge is on (because it isnt on a separate breaker) and turned that on too. from my quick inspection, the only thing this breaker controls is the outlets that the GFI breaker does not control, as well as the fridge.

all other breakers are off (except the main one of course) and the fan has not came on for about 30 minutes. i dont know if it is because the ambient temp is down to about 70* or not. i guess we shall find out tomorrow when it warms up again....

Old 08-23-2011, 08:50 AM   #13
RV Newbie

Not sure what power center you have, mine is a WFCO, 8955 if I recall right. With the front panel off you should find the leads from the converter and be able to determine which 110 breaker it is on. Most likely it is piggybacked to another circuit with a wirenut. I added a separate breaker and isolated the converter so I can turn it off. I had replaced a defective converter and did not want it to burn up again if it ran away like yours.

If the batteries have enough voltage, sounds as if you do, the converter should stop charging and the fan would not run. Something is not quite right. Maybe it is the heat, maybe it is a fault in the converter, maybe it is a faulty multimeter (I had one go bad), maybe the batteries have a problem. There is a WFCO manual online that is linked in several threads, I have it on this phone but cannot figure out how to attach it here.

There is an undocumented test, not in the manual, the guy at WFCO had for me. it tests the output of the converter with it disconnected from the batteries. if Lou does not chime in you might call WFCO and talk to them.
1963 Ford 861 5 speed with loader
1958 Ford 800 Select-O-Speed (parts tractor)
buzzards27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:19 AM   #14

circuit panel

every one of the circuits in my panel are marked wrong.
Found this out when I was tracing a wire back from the furnace relay, this relay has seperate power from the furnace 15amp circuit.
The relay fuse was marked "REF".
Old 08-23-2011, 09:38 AM   #15

The converter is a parallax power supply model 555. The meter works as I have tested it on numerous other things

Old 08-23-2011, 10:19 PM   #16

i am messing with this damn thing again tonight guys...

i had left the camper plugged into 120vAC lastnight and all trough today. when i left for work this morning the converter fan was NOT running. when i got home from work the fan was running. voltage check shows 13.8 on the DC system......same as yesterday. when i manually trip the GFI breaker, this kills the battery charging part of the converter. over the course of about 2 minutes, my voltage slowly drops down to 13.3. is this a high enough voltage to satisfy the converter and make it NOT charge?

Old 08-24-2011, 09:46 AM   #17
RV Newbie

According to the WFCO manual 13.2vdc is only a 50% charge on 12v batteries and is the point the converter switches between a trickle charge and a bulk charge. Your converter may work differently but it sounds like there is a problem with the batteries, the manual suggested a battery fault if your stuck bouncing between these two charge levels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocephus
i am messing with this damn thing again tonight guys...

i had left the camper plugged into 120vAC lastnight and all trough today. when i left for work this morning the converter fan was NOT running. when i got home from work the fan was running. voltage check shows 13.8 on the DC system......same as yesterday. when i manually trip the GFI breaker, this kills the battery charging part of the converter. over the course of about 2 minutes, my voltage slowly drops down to 13.3. is this a high enough voltage to satisfy the converter and make it NOT charge?

1963 Ford 861 5 speed with loader
1958 Ford 800 Select-O-Speed (parts tractor)
buzzards27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan