Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2012, 09:30 AM   #1

Cool Converter fan runs

All, we recently joined this forum and are impressed with the wealth of information and knowledge out there. We RVers are quite a skilled and self relient group.
We recently upgraded from a 2605 Rockwood to a new to us 2007 Rockwood 8314SS. We are impressed with the quality of the Rockwood and its components. Another Rockwood was our goal, the unit we found was extremely clean and priced RIGHT!
My question is, on shore power, when we turn on an electrical appliance, the small fan on the converter starts and runs continuously. Even turning on the TV causes the unit's fan to start. The converter is a WFCO ULTRA WF-8955AN W/Plastic. Can anyone tell me if that is normal operation as my other unit's fan ran as well, but very infrequent. Anyone have the same experiences? This may just be a common occurence with the larger unit but I am unsure. Thank you in advance for the help. Bruce
Bruce and Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:33 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Our fan runs once a certain amperage output is reached. With several items on electric, I can then turn a single light on and off and get the fan to go on and off.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:40 AM   #3

I would think you would have to look at which devices use 12V DC and which are AC. The "Converter" is called that because it is converting AC (when on shore power) to DC. Turning on and off the TV, or Microwave, etc. should not effect this converter coming on or off since they only work on shore power (maybe the antenna booster, which is 12 DC creates more draw when the TV is turned on?).

I was just in my camper this morning and was noticing the sound of the converter fan. All the lights in the camper are typically 12V. I noticed that if I turned on the main light switch in my camper (that turns on about 3 "dual" bulb lights at once) that this was enough draw to turn on the converter. I then turned off the main lights and the fan went off. I then turned on just a single bulb light over the sink and with the difference of just 1 bulb versus 6, the converter fan did not come on. I would also think the condition of your battery might come into play. I am not sure if the converter cycles on and off based on current draw (usage of 12V devices in the camper) or when the battery drops to a certain voltage, causing the converter to come on. Hope this helps.

HeyTomGrayWolf

2012 Grey Wolf 19RR
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 5.7l
2006 Road Star Warrior
heytomgraywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:56 AM   #4

Smile

Now that you mention battery condition, the first time I noticed it was on a very low battery condition, great observation, thanks.
I have a fully charged battery today, W and I are loading and organizing the TT today. I will do more experimenting. Thanks a bunch, happy camping.
Bruce and Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:02 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

The converter fan is controlled by the converter. It is triggered when the internal temp of the converter reaches a certain temp, and keeps the fan on until the temp is reduced to a certain level, The more 12 volt load you have, including charging the battery, the sooner the fan will turn on, and the longer it will run. The temp inside the camper will also come in to effect, as the hotter the camper, the sooner and longer the fan will run.

There is nothing wrong, it is working as designed. It's when it doesn't run that the converter will overheat and shut down.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:58 PM   #6
Site Team

the battery is the first place to look.
how do you know the battery is full charged? did you use a hydrometer or are you relying on the trailer's monitor lights? those are famous for inaccuracies.

use a reliable means of testing the battery, unhooked from the trailer.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter, fan, electrical