Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2013, 02:41 PM   #1

Question Converter fans running when on shore power

Hi Guys and Gals. I am a newbie to this forum but have rv'd (full and weekends) for30 years. I ran into a new concern and need help from the pros out there. Bought a little trailer and the batteries would not charge when on Shore power. I went and took the cover off of the elec panel to look at things and found a bad fuse at the converter. Put in a new one and BAM! everything charging up perfectly however....the neg. post on one of the batteries was getting pretty warm so I cleaned all the terminals and lugs off and the heating disappeared, HOWEVER, then as I was overjoyed with my work, I heard the fans at the converter going. Is it normal that the fans run when the converter is plugged into shore power? I'm hoping so, kinda like the fans in a computer always running to keep things cool. Your input is more than welcome and THANK YOU!
russjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:58 PM   #2

Fans will run when you are using anything using 12v , inside lites ,furnance ,etc
Geaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 03:00 PM   #3

I would only be concerned if it didn't run. It's supposed to and may be controlled by an internal temp switch to control fan run on and off.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 03:08 PM   #4
Denver, CO

yes very normal..when you are hooked up to shore power the converter is charging your batteries AND all your 12 volt stuff (lights etc.) so it is normal for the fan to run. If it continues to run after the batteries are all charged up and little or no 12 volt devices are in use, then the fan relay may be stuck. If your batteries are way down, which they may be it may take 8 or so hours to bring them back up.
Old 06-29-2013, 03:09 PM   #5

I knew I could count on Y'all...Thanks a bunch. I can sleep now.
russjw is offline   Reply With Quote