Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2014, 07:41 PM   #1

Converter/Inverter problem?

I am having problems with my 12v system. We are hooked to 120v shore power and are having issues with my lighting for sure. Not sure about anything else. Lights get really dim and them very bright. Checked the battery and it is showing 13.1v. Do I need to unhook cables to get true reading? How can I check convert? Could it be battery? Both? Will go unhook battery and re-check voltage. It's like I am back in the day in DISCO!! Waiting on some replies. Steve
sdagro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 07:57 PM   #2

I can't help with all, but turn off inverter breaker or unplug SP. Test battery voltage... Fully charged should be about 12.6v. Inverter on(and charging) should be 13.4+

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 07:59 PM   #3

Ohhh. It kinda sounds like a bad connection. If you have that...be careful of high loads until corrected...it could really get a bad connection(burned).

Old 09-25-2014, 08:27 PM   #4

Bad connection where??checked voltage with battery disconnected and it read 12.6. Checked cables coming to battery(checked where cables-red&black go into the metal strip/terminal). This was checked while battery was connected
Old 09-25-2014, 08:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdagro View Post
Bad connection where??checked voltage with battery disconnected and it read 12.6. Checked cables coming to battery(checked where cables-red&black go into the metal strip/terminal). This was checked while battery was connected

These are the most likely places for a bad connection.

I would search the Internet for a flow chart on testing inverter if you don't already have one.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:42 PM   #6

When you're lights come up bright, do they stay bright or are they surging at somewhat set intervals?
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 08:42 PM   #7

But...since you have 12.6v and k assume there isn't a large drain on the 12v system with other components... Then something appears loose....or the battery is bad.

You might apply heavy load...jacks slide or something and recheck the battery voltage. I didn't notice where you were...you could have the battery professionally checked.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:59 PM   #8

My first thought was bad connections or bad ground at battery or convertor.

Does the tops of the battery cells have caps on them that you can take off and check the water level? May needs to fill with water and/or check for dead cells. Pull the battery out and take it to a Auto parts store and get it 'Load tested'. the '13.1v' is showing the charge rate from the converter. when you take the cables off and it drops to '12.6' it the 'hold' rate at that time. Put any type of load (lights) on the battery and it could drop down to 10v.... Your converter will then 'boost' up and start charging at '14.3v'.... This is not good on your convertor if it is 'charging' all of the time (higher than a trickle charge) into a battery that will not keep a charge.

With the cables off the battery, test the cable out put from the converter.... With the battery disconnected, turn a couple of lights on and take a volt meter a see the voltage output from the positive cable.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 10:21 AM   #9

It was the converter. Quick trip to CW, $300 & 2 hrs later we are back up and running. Thanks to all for the input. Steve...GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!

Tags
converter, inverter