Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2014, 01:22 PM   #1
Tina

Converter issue??

First thanks for all your help, everytime I ask a question some one helps
So here goes- Put new battery on our new trailer 26tbss, It was showing F on the gauge inside trailer, did not charge up after 2 weeks. Had battery tested at shop perfect, hooked up again and was full but back down to F again???? Also when I checked the fuse box and pulled some fuses out to check, the light came some to say "FUSE OUT" but others the light didn't come on when the fuse was out. Is that normal?? Could it be that the converter is not charging the battery?? I am new to this forum so the only thing I know is from the posts from here. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also I pressed those little black buttons to reset battery, read that here too....located under the tongue of the trailer. Waiting to see it that helps. Also how about if you press them 2 times it is like a on/off thing or just a reset?
tbeefitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 02:14 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

OK, couple of things to check and do.

1) Do you have and can you use a multimeter?

2) Examine you battery and make sure the negative terminal on the battery is connected to a wire that goes to the frame.

3) Examine the orange fuses and make sure they are good (test them for continuity with your ohm meter function).

4) Measure the voltage at the two big screw posts and (with AC power on the camper) see if the voltage is above 13 volts. If so your battery SHOULD be charging and the converter is good.

5) If there is no voltage there (or less than 12 volts), remove the GROUND WIRE from the battery's negative terminal. Unplug the camper for about 5 minutes and plug it back in. Check for voltage at those two power center screws. If you still have less than 13 volts your converter is the problem.

6) If you now have 13 volts, the battery or the wires (fuses, connections, pinched wire) is the problem.

"F" has no meaning when checking the battery on the panel. It only means something when checking the tanks. When checking the battery, the "F" light is actually a "C" for "charging" (a voltage present above 12.7 volts or so.)

Note: The camper's DC voltage (normally battery voltage when not on shore power - Converter voltage when plugged in)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WF8900.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	52101   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuse panel.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	52102   Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Display.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	52106   Click image for larger version

Name:	MicroMonitor.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	52107  
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: pdf WFCO 8900 Troubleshooting guide.pdf (4.69 MB, 24 views)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 04:50 PM   #3
Tina

ok so changed to 40 fuses and the converter kicked in so I guess that was the problem. Why though in the power sector when I take out a fuse that the light next to the fuse still not come on? Some do, however some don't??? Any ideas??
tbeefitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 05:56 PM   #4
Explorer

Do you have LED lights in the circuit where the fuse is pulled from?
I chaseda similar issue for a couple days then I called the manufacture(Progressive Industries). To make the LED blown fuse indicator light they supply small amount of power to the circuit side of the fuse. This should light the LED indicator when fuse is blown but if there are LED lights in the same circuit then those LED will draw that small amount of voltage.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f218/dim-leds-phenomena-55706.html
This was my issue,
John
43yrs of camping; one lucky guy
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter