Old 07-17-2012, 12:32 AM   #1
Villa Estate 392FLFB

Converter Issues.. Think it is done..

So noticed about a week ago or so that the lights inside that are 12v would flicker a bit. like briiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight dim every so often. then a bit after that we noticed that it now got bright and flicked bright, dim, bright, dim, bright, dim, bright, dim (4 cycles of bright/dim) then back to normal for a few minutes then did it again. did some research and it sounds like the converter was overheating. Went and checked on it and sure enough no fan working.. so lately I have only been turning the breaker on for it every few days to recharge the battery.

Then tonight it was off and suddenly the lights lost most of their brightness (LED's to!). went and turned on the converter but it hasnt seemed to do anything.. so contemplating to turn it off and put my smart charger directly on the battery outside.

so how would i be able to tell that the converter is pooched or not? Im assuming I will have to find out how to pull it out..

trailer is a salem villa 392flfb

Old 07-17-2012, 12:49 AM   #2
Villa Estate 392FLFB

so I went outside and hooked up my battery charger/maintainer. the house battery is all sweaty and covered in water it looks. some corrosion around the posts but nothing major. the house converter is OFF and this charger/maintainer is charging it now.

this is what i have MotoMaster Eliminator Intelligent Battery Charger 75/25/4A | Canadian Tire

So, am i to assume my battery is what has gone bad and it might have in turn worked my converter to death?

what is a suggested replacement battery? not sure what all these "groups" are.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:40 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Stuff
so I went outside and hooked up my battery charger/maintainer. the house battery is all sweaty and covered in water it looks. some corrosion around the posts but nothing major. the house converter is OFF and this charger/maintainer is charging it now.

this is what i have MotoMaster Eliminator Intelligent Battery Charger 75/25/4A | Canadian Tire

So, am i to assume my battery is what has gone bad and it might have in turn worked my converter to death?

what is a suggested replacement battery? not sure what all these "groups" are.
Have your battery tested first
Old 07-18-2012, 12:55 AM   #4
Villa Estate 392FLFB

had it tested. guy couldnt test it correctly because it had no CCA rating on the battery. closest we could find on the battery was a rating of 175 which doesnt sound right..

So with battery unhooked i tried the converter with everything off. it fired up, fan went, but soon as i tried to turn on a light in the bathroom etc it gave out... shut it off for now..

so I bought a new battery... Group 31 Deep Cycle Battery | Canadian Tire

and im using my battery charger/maintainer for now.. guess its time to take out the old converter and get it tested.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2794.jpg
Views:	1803
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	16695   Click image for larger version

Name:	battery new.jpg
Views:	1839
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	16697   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2796.jpg
Views:	1799
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	16698  
Old 07-18-2012, 01:13 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
had it tested. guy couldnt test it correctly because it had no CCA rating on the battery. closest we could find on the battery was a rating of 175 which doesnt sound right..

So with battery unhooked i tried the converter with everything off. it fired up, fan went, but soon as i tried to turn on a light in the bathroom etc it gave out... shut it off for now..

so I bought a new battery... Group 31 Deep Cycle Battery | Canadian Tire

and im using my battery charger/maintainer for now.. guess its time to take out the old converter and get it tested.
Id suggest a progressive dynamics if your unit is deemed doa.

Did you go to the files section on frf and do the test procedures?

By the way wfco converters weak spot is the fan quits and converter overheats to it imminent death.

I modded in a progressive dynamics 70 amp charger into my wfco 55 amp distribution panel so as to not buy the whole unit.
Total install time was a bit over an hour and some case mods were needed for it to fit which were minor.
Purchased off ebay for 150.00
Old 07-18-2012, 01:50 AM   #6
Villa Estate 392FLFB

after digging through the pile of trailer manuals and getting a visual on the unit i have a WFCO WF-9865 65amp converter.

I did notice in my manual it says i have a 2 year warranty even in canada so I might give them a call tomorrow.

I also havent a clue how to get this thing out.. one side is a wall with a vent register, the front is a 4" round vent that I pulled out to see inside there but i cant get the thin wood board stuff to move. Seems its one piece with the section under it..
Old 07-18-2012, 02:11 AM   #7

I had the same thing happen to my WFCO-65. With all the lights off, when I went to turn one on, the fan would run for a minute then shut off. I un-hooked my battery and tested with a meter. With nothing on it should be between 13-14 volts. Mine was, until I turned on lights. It then started dropping. My battery was compensating for the difference until it would run down. I replaced mine with a Progressive Dynamics 70 amp. Mine was easy to get out. I just unscrewed the breaker panel from the wall and pulled the old one out after disconnecting.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:17 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
after digging through the pile of trailer manuals and getting a visual on the unit i have a WFCO WF-9865 65amp converter.

I did notice in my manual it says i have a 2 year warranty even in canada so I might give them a call tomorrow.

I also havent a clue how to get this thing out.. one side is a wall with a vent register, the front is a 4" round vent that I pulled out to see inside there but i cant get the thin wood board stuff to move. Seems its one piece with the section under it..
Should be in the back of your power center? No?
Old 07-18-2012, 07:27 AM   #9
Site Team - Lou

Find a new battery tester guy.

1) True Deep Cycle batteries do not have a CCA rating. Only car/truck starting batteries and so called "Dual Purpose" Marine batteries do.

CCA is used to give you some idea of how much cranking power a battery has.

2) Deep Cycle batteries are rated as to how LONG a battery will last at a certain amp load (20 or 25 amps are typical). They are Rated in Amp Hours (AH) or Reserve Capacity (RC) in minutes of life.

To convert RC at the 25 amp rate to Amp-Hours (20 amps per hour), multiply RC by .4167.

More amp-hours (or RC) are better in every case when looking for a deep cycle battery. Within the same battery footprint or industry group size, the battery with higher ampere hours (or RC) will tend to deliver longer cycle lives.

Reserve Capacity is the number of minutes a battery can maintain a useful voltage (~10 volts) under a 25A discharge. RC is actually a better reading on battery life than Amp Hours but AH is easier to calculate.

So your 175 minute RC battery has 73 Amp Hours (about average for an OEM Deep Discharge Battery).

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:55 AM   #10
Villa Estate 392FLFB

this is how the area is setup in the trailer.

this is on the panel side which is in the bedroom. its a wall wall. that vent on the left is just that and lets air in/out of the cavity behind the panel and out the round vent hole in the bathroom side.

this is around the right side of the previous picture in the bathroom. its just a panel board wall with the round vent hole for the bathroom.

if i push against it, it seems to come away. not sure if its just wedged into place or not. tried to take some pictures of the inside but to no avail. man is it full of sawdust and screws inside there..

I also contacted WFCO today to see if there is anything they can do for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2807.jpg
Views:	1755
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	16710   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2808.jpg
Views:	1774
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	16711   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2813.jpg
Views:	1752