Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2015, 10:08 PM   #1

Converter output voltage?

I just installed a new Boondocker Converter from BestConverter.com. Randy recommended this complete BPC4-60 Powercenter replacement (entire AC/DC Distribution unit). It's supposed to be an automatic 4-stage charger. I've checked, and there are no switches to change the charging mode.

I'm getting 14.75VDC output from the converter, which seems too high. I understand that this is about right for a bulk Stage 1 charge. But this is without a battery connected. And I'm getting the same at each of my six DC branch circuits (lights, monitor/pump, hood, fridge, etc). I can't imagine it's good to pump 14.75 volts to these 12V items. 13.5V is what I'd expect.

Should I be concerned? Do these always start that high, then back off after some time?
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 10:11 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Why no battery? My WFCO converter has a Caution about operating it without one to moderate and filter the current.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 06:29 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

It will not go into 4 stage charging with no battery!
The whole point to a 4 stage converter is to have a battery to charge.
It will always be in bulk mode without.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 07:33 AM   #4

You need to hook up your battery or batteries, as Turbs pointed out. It will play Havoc on your 12v system. Think black bulbs and such. That is a great voltage for desalinization of the plates only but should only do that for 15 mins or so in a 24 hr period. I have read about the boondocker, what I don't like is it doesn't come with a charge wizard like the progressive. Progressive you are allowed to put it in Desal 14.6 or absorption at 13.5 or float at 13.1 any time you want, but it's best to just let it do it's thing. That is only differnce I seen in the specs. Other then that I'm sure it's a great charger and maintainer.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:04 AM   #5

I downloaded the install instructions, and it included a diagnostic section, to test the converter. It said to check the output voltage with the +battery wire (at the DC board) disconnected, and the reverse battery fuses pulled. Should be 13.4-13.8VDC. I'm getting 14.7V. I think this is to see if the converter is automatically detecting whether there is a battery or not. But it seems mine going into high-voltage mode anyway (desulfication, whatever).

I tried reconnecting the battery wire (and the battery) as well. Same thing. 14.7V

Besides, the bestconverter website has this statement for this converter:
"Filtered DC Output (Works with or without a battery)"

I don't make a habit of doing that. I always take a battery with me. But shouldn't I expect this to run the tests as described?

Perhaps I should put a battery back on, plug it in, and check it every 15 minutes to see if the operation mode changes. Unfortunately, I've already winterized and tucked it away in the storage yard. It's getting cold here in Michigan at night.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:08 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

My converter goes into bulk mode "stage 1" immediately everytime I plug it in for about 20 minutes.
Then it'll go into "stage 2"
Old 10-27-2015, 09:21 AM   #7

OK, that makes me feel better. I have a 2nd call to BestConverter. Hopefully he'll confirm that's what's happening.

I probably should have gone with a more well-known name for my replacement. But the converter in my old ELX45 was not a modular unit that could easily be removed. It was multiple components built on the distribution panel. I was not even sure that a replacement converter would fit in the lower compartment. That's exactly why Randy recommends this complete upgrade when Elixirs go bad.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:26 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrakeman View Post
OK, that makes me feel better. I have a 2nd call to BestConverter. Hopefully he'll confirm that's what's happening.

I probably should have gone with a more well-known name for my replacement. But the converter in my old ELX45 was not a modular unit that could easily be removed. It was multiple components built on the distribution panel. I was not even sure that a replacement converter would fit in the lower compartment. That's exactly why Randy recommends this complete upgrade when Elixirs go bad.
I have a brand new columbus that was spec'd with a wfco converter unit "junk" and I also bought a boondocker power max converter to replace it from the start from Randy so there were no issues and such.
Turns out it has a proggresive dynamics unit installed.
Randy definitely knows what he's talking about so I wouldn't be worried about the boondocker.
The best unit in the world could also have an issue right out of the box.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:43 AM   #9

That's really my only concern. I've heard enough good things about Randy. I just want to be sure I didn't get the occasional bad-egg. Maybe he can give me another quick way to confirm all is well.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:54 AM   #10

Randy called back yesterday, and confirmed that he has it designed to hit 14.7V for 15 minutes or so, then drop down. So, I guess the "4 stage" means:
1. Short duration 14.7V to break up any sulfides (is that the right term?)
2. Bulk Charge - Constant max current (increasing voltage to a target)
3. Absorption Charge - Constant voltage (decreasing current to some target)
4. Maintenance Mode

I forgot to ask him about the effects of that 14.7V on appliances for those 15-20 minutes. But it sounds like this is not uncommon with automatic chargers.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:56 AM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrakeman View Post
Randy called back yesterday, and confirmed that he has it designed to hit 14.7V for 15 minutes or so, then drop down. So, I guess the "4 stage" means:
1. Short duration 14.7V to break up any sulfides (is that the right term?)
2. Bulk Charge - Constant max current (increasing voltage to a target)
3. Absorption Charge - Constant voltage (decreasing current to some target)
4. Maintenance Mode

I forgot to ask him about the effects of that 14.7V on appliances for those 15-20 minutes. But it sounds like this is not uncommon with automatic chargers.
Progressive dynamics has done it for years with the bulk mode @ 14 v.

You should be fine.

Tags
converter, voltage