Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2012, 10:35 PM   #1

Unhappy converter problem?

OK, second trip in my new unit and more issues. Believe this is a converter issue but want some opinions. Plugged into power but can only get 3 of the 4 battery lights on the panel to light up when the test button is pushed. After leaving on the 12v lights they start to dim and I only have 1 light. So is this the converter? Batteries check out good... ???????
textman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:49 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by textman View Post
OK, second trip in my new unit and more issues. Believe this is a converter issue but want some opinions. Plugged into power but can only get 3 of the 4 battery lights on the panel to light up when the test button is pushed. After leaving on the 12v lights they start to dim and I only have 1 light. So is this the converter? Batteries check out good... ???????
Maybe, but first you need to eliminate an AC power issue. Have you verified power at the CG box, and the Fuse panel, do you have things like the microwave or second air unit, do they work, as they would bypass the Converter.
If the AC power side of things work, then start to test the DC and converter side.
2023 Road Glide ST
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:05 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

If you plugged in to a "hot" power panel may have tripped the breaker for the converter. Check all the breakers, maybe even turn them off, then back on. Never plug in to a hot panel, if the pedestal at the campground doesn't have a breaker, turn the main off in the camper before plugging in the power cord. Still check all the other breakers after doing this.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:52 AM   #4

The converter on my new 2012 Palomino Sabre failed on our third trip. Noticed the 12V lights dimming. The charge indicator lights going down and down. Checked fuses, breakers, battery, etc., noticed the fan on the converter was not coming on. Went to Wally World and purchased a small battery charger to get through the week to keep the battery charged. Dealer confirmed the cheap WFCO 45 AMP converter had failed. Warranty covered it but I chose to pay a few dollars extra for a Progressive Dynamics 9200 / 70 AMP converter.
My guess it is the converter.

ret2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:54 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou

As you know the top light on the panel when "battery" is selected is not "FULL" like with the tanks. It is the "CHARGING" light.

My converter is "double wired" at the breaker (somehow this is OK under the RV Electrical Code (RIVA?) but is not under the Electrical Code).

If the wire is loose or came off at the breaker because of two wires being attached there, could cause this problem. (Loose would be very bad)

No converter fan could also cause a shutdown due to overheating.
Shut off AC power to the converter and let it cool for a minimum of 5 minutes and power it back up. If it works for a while and quits; it is the fan. Using an external fan might get you home.

I always carry a small battery charger (Ship-N-Shore) since I always have the generator. If you have one of these you can keep your battery going and not cut your trip early.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:43 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

What brand of converter?
I suspect wfco but either the case they leave a lot to be desired, the fan portion that cools the converter is cheaper than Mr sanford .
Make sure you do the test procedures to make sure .
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
As you know the top light on the panel when "battery" is selected is not "FULL" like with the tanks. It is the "CHARGING" light.

My converter is "double wired" at the breaker (somehow this is OK under the RV Electrical Code (RIVA?) but is not under the Electrical Code).

If the wire is loose or came off at the breaker because of two wires being attached there, could cause this problem. (Loose would be very bad)

No converter fan could also cause a shutdown due to overheating.
Shut off AC power to the converter and let it cool for a minimum of 5 minutes and power it back up. If it works for a while and quits; it is the fan. Using an external fan might get you home.

I always carry a small battery charger (Ship-N-Shore) since I always have the generator. If you have one of these you can keep your battery going and not cut your trip early.
Lou, I must be missing something. I thought if you have a generator you just plug in the camper and the battery gets charged. If I buy a generator am I going to have to carry a battery charger also?
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 11:42 AM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfun1 View Post
Lou, I must be missing something. I thought if you have a generator you just plug in the camper and the battery gets charged. If I buy a generator am I going to have to carry a battery charger also?
This is a long answer. I am due to leave for the afternoon.
I will be back tonight.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfun1 View Post
Lou will of course be able to give a detailed response upon his return. I will attempt the reader's digest abridged version of what I believe he was saying as I do the same thing...have a generator and stand alone charger.

If all is working, then you can just plug the camper into the generator and it will charge the battery...but it will be very slow to recharge. By having a stand alone charger, if there is a problem with the convertor you can still charge your battery and not have to cut your trip short. Even if everything is working properly a quality 3-stage "smart" charger will recharge your battery much faster than the charger in the convertor.

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
David & Audra (16 year old twins)
2006 Dodge Power Wagon (Adventure & Tow Vehicle)
2006 Rockwood 8281SS (Home away from Home)
Glenn5995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:14 PM   #10
Too old to be too smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn5995 View Post
Even if everything is working properly a quality 3-stage "smart" charger will recharge your battery much faster than the charger in the convertor.
The exception would be that if your converter's battery charger section were already a "smart", three-stage charger.

There are upgrades for older converter/charger units that are really worthwhile. An example:

I will be getting and retrofitting mine as time allows.

Pop

2000 F-350 7.3L CC/LB 4WD Lariat 3.73's
SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 02:19 PM   #11

Our power center in the fifth wheel has a three-stage charger as probably every RV for the past decade or more, but it still takes a long time to recharge our batteries. I don't know how much of an improvement would be achieved with an upgraded power center, but at present our stand alone charger will recharge much faster.

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
Old 06-23-2012, 06:19 PM   #12
Site Team - Lou

Thank Glenn. You did a fine job with covering for me!

To clarify what I was saying; due to the weight of my generator it "lives" 24/7 in the bed of my truck. I pay for that with increased weight of the TV; reduced towing capacity (payload) and wear and tear on the generator when I am not actually using it.

However, since it is there; I take advantage of the benefits when I can.

1) I also carry a pancake 110AC compressor that can run my air tools, grinder, and inflate tires while at rest stops if needed.

2) At rest stops I can quickly connect power and run my microwave and air conditioner.

3) I have the ability to "boondock" on the fly if I show up unscheduled at a campground and they can't place us right away. Spent more than one night in the parking lot of a KOA that had a bunch of their sites washed out in a downpour.

4) I can charge my battery using my Ship-N-Shore charger. By disconnecting the battery bank I can use all four stages of my Ship-N-Shore to desulphate and fast charge when boondocking or if there is a power failure (or bad power) at the campground.

Since the generator is available all the time, it seems silly not to have a good quality 4 stage charger as well. When using the SnS charger you must remove the caps and watch your water levels. It can really heat up the battery when using the fast charge or desulphate feature.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:25 PM   #13

All A/C items work. The converter is WFCO 65. It is at the dealer now, so the warranty should cover it... Just a bummer it was the 2nd trip out. Where is the quality control these days?
textman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:10 AM   #14

Hopefully they get it all squared away for you.

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
Old 07-04-2012, 10:16 PM   #15

Ok so my 365saq is hooked up to 30 amp today and appears my battery isnt charging....only thing working is AC.....fuses are fine.....have a battery charger hooked up for the lights......everything worked on 50 amp a few days ago......the only thing is a TV blew in the back room while hooked up to 50 amp and i was raising lowering front jacks..... interior light of microwave is on when i open the door.....but faceplate isnt working....any battery reset button on this model? Anyone else get this issue and know how to fix it???

Tags
led pad