Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2010, 05:26 PM   #1

Converter problem?

Just picked up my new to me 2004 Sandpiper 32 RLSS yesterday and I'm having some electrical problems already. On shore power the 12 volt side was working and then would suddenly dim for a few seconds before going completely out. Power was still on the microwave. The converter fan would start up about 15 to 20 seconds prior to this happening. All of this was happening at the PO's permanent campsite. I replaced the house battery before pulling the thing home and it worked on the battery then but now that it's home I have nothing on the battery. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Grounded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:38 PM   #2

If the fan is starting up and running prior to the failure then the converter is working harder than it should and then shutting down. I would guess that tests for voltage would probably show correct but something else is up. The system doesn't need the battery in order to operate. I would disconnect the negative side of the battery, plug your rig in and see what happens. You can't rule out a bad battery or a short somewhere.

I have to admit this is one I have never seen so I'm taking a stab in the dark on it. Let us know what happens with the battery disconnected and the rig plugged in. Sounds like there is resistance somewhere where there shouldn't be to me.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:53 PM   #3

If you still have problems you may want to pull your fuses ( note where the 20 amp, 15 amp go & so on}. Then replace one at time to pin point problem. this is a easy way . no meters. Hope it helps.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:57 AM   #4

A friend had a problem and found that the ground wire was loose on the converter.
Reese 18K hitch - Garmin 1690 GPS
2008 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Long Box, Smartair
Nights camped in 2011: 120
Traveler II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:10 PM   #5

Still don't quite understand the problem but I'm told by the service guy at the local Camping World that it was the switch just after the battery that was bad. I've had it hooked up to 20 amps, no 30 at home and it's seem to be working fine.
Grounded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:50 AM   #6
Site Team

That's interesting unless the switch was partially shorting out overloading the converter. Glad you got it fixed.