Old 04-29-2011, 10:34 PM   #11
Site Team - Lou

I am having a hard time with this one. My "pilot" is kicking in. While it would be certainly cheaper to ignore the problem and use a dedicated charger to top off your battery; I am concerned about "unintended consequences."

1) You already have a failed board in a component that handles ALL the power in your rig, AC and DC. There is no way of knowing if that is the only component that will fail on that board. The next one could be catastrophic in its consequences. (like a fire)

2) It goes against the grain to "fly an aircraft" with a known electrical malfunction. (see above)

If it was my camper, I would buy the best possible replacement that I could. The WFCO unit is not a "bad" unit and I would have no issue with repairing it or replacing it with an identical unit. But since I would NEED to do something to fix the problem; and I have time to do so; I would see if there is a better unit that would suit my needs. What that unit might be I have no idea and would have to research it.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 01:21 AM   #12

Dont remember if I tighten the Jesus nut ! Lol .... Lou knows what im talking about. Everyone else its a giant size nut on top of the rotors. If that nut comes off. Guess who youll be seeing. Sorry about the aviation joke.

Old 04-30-2011, 10:55 AM   #13
RV Newbie

i'm sure I will get the replacement soon enough, that was the first option I had listed. At least it isn't keeping me up all night worrying about it if I use it as is over the next few weeks as long as I watch the batteries closely. I'm just glad I know what the problem is now. If you remember we had another thread this spring where I was dealing with weak batteries coming out of winter storage. I did suspect the converter had issues back then. Now it all that makes sense.

Regardless, a good "travel" charger is my next purchase. Hopefully one that can tend and well as boost when needed.

Thanks again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
I am having a hard time with this one. My "pilot" is kicking in. While it would be certainly cheaper to ignore the problem and use a dedicated charger to top off your battery; I am concerned about "unintended consequences."

1) You already have a failed board in a component that handles ALL the power in your rig, AC and DC. There is no way of knowing if that is the only component that will fail on that board. The next one could be catastrophic in its consequences. (like a fire)

2) It goes against the grain to "fly an aircraft" with a known electrical malfunction. (see above)

If it was my camper, I would buy the best possible replacement that I could. The WFCO unit is not a "bad" unit and I would have no issue with repairing it or replacing it with an identical unit. But since I would NEED to do something to fix the problem; and I have time to do so; I would see if there is a better unit that would suit my needs. What that unit might be I have no idea and would have to research it.
1963 Ford 861 5 speed with loader
1958 Ford 800 Select-O-Speed (parts tractor)
buzzards27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:09 AM   #14

Very good thread!!!!
kbrown1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:19 PM   #15
RV Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769

I am about to change out the power center today and the why the converter blew out is still bothering me. There is a transfer switch so I doubt the prior owner did it by running the genset while on shore power, so why did it blew out? Could the transfer switch be bad? How would I test the transfer switch before I hook up the new converter?
Old 06-15-2011, 01:31 PM   #16
Site Team - Lou

Need to bump that question to someone who knows a lot more about MH systems than me. (5th wheel guy)

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 06-15-2011, 08:00 PM   #17
RV Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27

I am about to change out the power center today and the why the converter blew out is still bothering me. There is a transfer switch so I doubt the prior owner did it by running the genset while on shore power, so why did it blew out? Could the transfer switch be bad? How would I test the transfer switch before I hook up the new converter?
Got the new power center in today along with a battery cut off switch. Before I power it up I would like to test the transfer switch, I suppose I can just test the AC voltage as I power up between the genset and the shoreline. I guess a voltage spike wilt mean there is a problem with the switch.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:50 AM   #18
RV Newbie

Testing is done and so far the new converter is working as expected. With the battery kill switch next to the power center it was easy to watch the converter kick in as I shut down power from the battery.

Thanks to everyone, especially Lou, for all the advice and handholding. Could not have done it without you.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:02 PM   #19
RV Newbie

Well, I am a little bummed out, we still have a problem somewhere. Shut down the shoreline before going out to diner and came back four hours later to dead batteries. Not sure if the batteries had a full charge or if there us a low voltage short somewhere. I pulled all the 12VDC fuses and I am charging up the batteries for the next day or so to make sure we have a full charge and then I'll start checking each circuit.

I do not have an an ampmeter, so I am going to look at each circuit for a rapid voltage drop.

Any advice is welcome.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:26 PM   #20
Site Team - Lou

Is there a light or lights on somewhere? Like in the storage lockers?
Something is putting a draw on that battery for sure.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW