Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2011, 09:19 PM   #21
RV Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769
Is there a light or lights on somewhere? Like in the storage lockers?
Something is putting a draw on that battery for sure.
Do not see anything that would kill the batteries like that. The amplifier for the TV antenna was on but I do not think that would draw that much in 4 hours. I am hoping that the batteries just need a good charging. For now I cut the power to the converter to protect it and have a slow charge going.

One thing I noticed while hooking up the low voltage lines, they did NOT strip the insulation off the wires very well. On the hot side the only contact on several circuits was from the screw piercing the insulation. It is possible that one or more circuits were not energized. If I have a faulty circuit it might not have been energized until I fixed the shoddy workmanship. Hopefully I if I have a bad circuit I can track it down by isolating it.
1963 Ford 861 5 speed with loader
1958 Ford 800 Select-O-Speed (parts tractor)
buzzards27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:24 AM   #22
RV Newbie

Problem(s) solved, I had a $20 multimeter from Sears that was giving me bad readings. It actually gave me a reading of 158 VAC when I checked an outlet. When the DW returned it they tried another one out of the box and it read 164 VAC. Turns out it wasn't giving good DC readings either.

With a new meter and a long slow charge I am at 12.85. It may have peaked.

None of the low voltage circuits has any faults.
1963 Ford 861 5 speed with loader
1958 Ford 800 Select-O-Speed (parts tractor)
buzzards27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 11:39 AM   #23

An old thread but it has been helpful to me. Been having battery issues for past year. Replaced for the second time. The quick converter test by pulling the two 40 amp anti-reversal fuses showed 13.5 v at A & 9.9 at B, leading me to think bad battery. Last night I was stumbling along outside and detected a glow underneath the power bumper jack cover. (We are camping). Damn... I had left the little light on, who knows how long... So, after getting the battery back up to charge overnight with my little Walmart 6a charger, we are back on the 8955 alone. Will see.. I suspect the 8955 is bad also..
rlray42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 11:59 AM   #24
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlray42 View Post
An old thread but it has been helpful to me. Been having battery issues for past year. Replaced for the second time. The quick converter test by pulling the two 40 amp anti-reversal fuses showed 13.5 v at A & 9.9 at B, leading me to think bad battery. Last night I was stumbling along outside and detected a glow underneath the power bumper jack cover. (We are camping). Damn... I had left the little light on, who knows how long... So, after getting the battery back up to charge overnight with my little Walmart 6a charger, we are back on the 8955 alone. Will see.. I suspect the 8955 is bad also..

If the converter has failed stop putting the Wfco junk back in.
Get a progressive dynamics unit.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 01:17 PM   #25

Replace just the main board? Thoughts on PD4655 as compared to Boondocker as suggested by Randy @ best converter.com
rlray42 is offline   Reply With Quote