Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2013, 07:04 PM   #1

Converter question

Hi all,

We just picked up a (new to us) 2011 Forester 2301. On our trip back across country from the dealer, we noticed that the only way that we could get anything that wasn't on the DC system (TV, microwave) was to run the generator.

After getting home we noted that plugging the rv into our house power allowed everything to work as well (with the exception of the a/c).

Can someone tell me if my understanding of things are correct in that the house battery should be able to power everything through the built-in inverter? If that's the case, where/how should I go about troubleshooting?

Any help in troubleshooting would be appreciated.

Thanks!
specialk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:08 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Your camper most likely has a built in CONVERTER not an inverter (different animal). You should investigate if your had an inverter (a separate purchase normally) installed in your camper. There should be a switch to turn it on and disconnect the generator/shore power if you have one. They can not be both on at the same time.

My guess is you have the normal configuration. You need the generator or shore power to supply 120 volt AC to run your outlets, microwave, and Air Conditioning.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Your camper most likely has a built in CONVERTER not an inverter (different animal). You should investigate if your had an inverter (a separate purchase normally) installed in your camper. There should be a switch to turn it on and disconnect the generator/shore power if you have one. They can not be both on at the same time.

My guess is you have the normal configuration. You need the generator or shore power to supply 120 volt AC to run your outlets, microwave, and Air Conditioning.
Thanks- now that you mention it, I think you're right- I'm getting the converter mixed up with an inverter..... Looking at the spec sheet for our year/model it only shows a standard converter, no inverter. Guess I'll have to research putting one in if I want to use the house batteries for the tv...
specialk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:25 PM   #4

Maybe they have and I don't know it, but an inverter should be standard equipment by now. It was probably the best mod I ever did to the RV.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:57 PM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotocrossCamper View Post
Maybe they have and I don't know it, but an inverter should be standard equipment by now. It was probably the best mod I ever did to the RV.
They vary in price so much (from $50 to $3,000 depending on size and purity of signal) that I very much doubt any OEM would include one as standard equipment. It is far to "user dependent." What is adequate for one user would be ridiculously low output or quality for another.

In most installations, separate duplex outlets are required in order to prevent any mixing of power source (without complicated and expensive auto-switching circuitry).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wall Outlets Entertainment Center 2.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	34846   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wall Outlets Entertainment Center 4.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	34847  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:16 PM   #6

I agree Herk but I think they could start somewhere. It's no different then putting a 19" tv in the master bedroom, some will love it and some will hate it. A 3000 watt inverter will do a lot of stuff for you when you need it. I think the problem would lie with people complaining because after they toasted waffles for their family of 6 their batteries would be dead. I see no major cost in putting extra 12 volt outlets by your tvs and 1 by the dinette. With buying in bulk I see no reason why it at least couldn't be an affordable extra feature for those that want to add it.

With my sons diabetes I choose to put in 2. I have a 8000 watt wired to 2 outlets in the kitchen area for bigger appliances should we have genny problems, and a 3000 watt wired to outlets at both my tvs and 1 at the dinette for computers, phones, radios.....etc

Like you said though, for those looking to do the install, do your homework, lots of choices out there.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote