Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2014, 03:15 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
RPAspey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: central PA
Posts: 973
Garbonz, I wouldn't doubt there's multiple recommendations out there, I'm going by a Trojan Battery Corp. technical paper I have in front of me. I have seen in other papers/forums the C/20 rate as a maximum charge rate.

2000 Cherokee, LEDs, solar, inverter, etc. '07 Tundra 5.7L DC-LB, modded as well.
__________________

__________________
2000 Cherokee 29BH with 6V batteries, LED lights & 400 watts of solar power, flipped axles and raised. 2007 Tundra 5.7L DC-LB with lots of mods. C-co, 8/158th AVN Maint.
RPAspey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 03:31 PM   #22
Denver, CO
 
garbonz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPAspey View Post
Garbonz, I wouldn't doubt there's multiple recommendations out there, I'm going by a Trojan Battery Corp. technical paper I have in front of me. I have seen in other papers/forums the C/20 rate as a maximum charge rate.

2000 Cherokee, LEDs, solar, inverter, etc. '07 Tundra 5.7L DC-LB, modded as well.

Just looked at the trojan site and saw 20% for solar chargers, that why I asked. Pretty limiting for dry camping, and would not recommend Trojans for that reason.

Just saying. My Deka 6 volts can easily take 20%.

ALSO, while we are on it is the reason AGM and Gel's may be a better choice for drycampers since they can REALLY take a high bulk charge without damage...
__________________

__________________
2007 Chevy 2500HD Classic LBZ Duramax/Allison (Stock)
2005 Bigfoot 1500C8.2 AWESOME
garbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 04:32 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
1A Camper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 371
I would not get too hung up on the current %. I think that is to size the smallest charger to get for max charge in the shortest time. If you go bigger (3 stage or better) it will be charging to a voltage. If you read the charging spec on the Trojan site. It only talks about voltage level and time. That is why when you go to a charger that is above the 20% rate. The charge time do not get shorter.
As someone else said it is best when dry camping to charge battery when they hit 50% discharge and bring back up to 80%. That is where you are going to get the most charge in the shortest time.
__________________
Steve and Adele
2014 Flagstaff T12RBST
2005 Toyota 4runner 4x4
1A Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:48 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
RPAspey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: central PA
Posts: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
Just looked at the trojan site and saw 20% for solar chargers, that why I asked. Pretty limiting for dry camping, and would not recommend Trojans for that reason.

Just saying. My Deka 6 volts can easily take 20%.

ALSO, while we are on it is the reason AGM and Gel's may be a better choice for drycampers since they can REALLY take a high bulk charge without damage...
I've been using the Trojan T145 for 3 seasons or so with solar only charging. Not a bit of trouble. I can't remember when I used the progressive dynamics charger last, if ever since going solar.

Anyway, that 20% is only a recommendation. You can charge at a higher rate, but cell temperature and fluid levels should be closely monitored. Not to mention the increased ventilation needed to get rid of the off gassing.

2000 Cherokee, LEDs, solar, inverter, etc. '07 Tundra 5.7L DC-LB, modded as well.
__________________
2000 Cherokee 29BH with 6V batteries, LED lights & 400 watts of solar power, flipped axles and raised. 2007 Tundra 5.7L DC-LB with lots of mods. C-co, 8/158th AVN Maint.
RPAspey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:57 PM   #25
Denver, CO
 
garbonz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPAspey View Post
I've been using the Trojan T145 for 3 seasons or so with solar only charging. Not a bit of trouble. I can't remember when I used the progressive dynamics charger last, if ever since going solar.

Anyway, that 20% is only a recommendation. You can charge at a higher rate, but cell temperature and fluid levels should be closely monitored. Not to mention the increased ventilation needed to get rid of the off gassing.

2000 Cherokee, LEDs, solar, inverter, etc. '07 Tundra 5.7L DC-LB, modded as well.

That's very good to know. I have a 55 amp temp compensated charger that pumps every bit of 55 amps during bulk charging into my 2-6 volt Deka's and can therefore run my honda 2000 for right about an hour a day and be fine.

I have 200 w worth of solar cell but have not wired them up. Another project on the list..
__________________
2007 Chevy 2500HD Classic LBZ Duramax/Allison (Stock)
2005 Bigfoot 1500C8.2 AWESOME
garbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:08 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
RPAspey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: central PA
Posts: 973
Get'r done. You'll wish you did it sooner. Ain't nothing as sweet as never having to haul a genny.

2000 Cherokee, LEDs, solar, inverter, etc. '07 Tundra 5.7L DC-LB, modded as well.
__________________

__________________
2000 Cherokee 29BH with 6V batteries, LED lights & 400 watts of solar power, flipped axles and raised. 2007 Tundra 5.7L DC-LB with lots of mods. C-co, 8/158th AVN Maint.
RPAspey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
converter, upgrade

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:55 PM.