Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2015, 09:17 AM   #1

Converter working but not charging battery.

I have a 2014 Sabre 36REQS and the charger is not charging the battery. When I place meter on wires it shows 0 amps. I cannot find any fuses blown on the converter panel. Can anyone tell where else to look? I currently have my battery charger hooked to the. Battery through the posts of the battery ( the camper battery wires are hooked to the battery screw posts). Hope this does not cause a problem at least until I can solve the converter charging problem. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

RetCityMan
CityMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:02 AM   #2

If you are looking at the fuse panel it may not show there. Check on the sides of the converter itself, It might have it's own fuse. Mine actually has 2. One on 12V side and one on 110
brookstone345sa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 12:11 PM   #3

Battery dis-connect switch??
Old 05-03-2015, 12:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityMan View Post
I have a 2014 Sabre 36REQS and the charger is not charging the battery. When I place meter on wires it shows 0 amps. I cannot find any fuses blown on the converter panel. Can anyone tell where else to look? I currently have my battery charger hooked to the. Battery through the posts of the battery ( the camper battery wires are hooked to the battery screw posts). Hope this does not cause a problem at least until I can solve the converter charging problem. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

RetCityMan
If you have a multimeter it's easy to check< I'll attach how to do it on WFCO Convertor. If your converter is charging then you have a blown fuse down line or a disconnect open or a loose ground.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Manual - Power Distribution Center WF-8900 English.pdf (1.89 MB, 504 views)

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 04:04 PM   #5

A meter placed on wires will always show 0 amps unless you out the meter in series with your wiring or use a shunt. If that sounds complicated, you probably need some help. When the converter is operating you should have at least 13.5 volts. When not charging it should be 12.7V or less after 10 minutes if fully charged , but more than 11.8V or so as a rule of thumb.
rzrnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 04:31 PM   #6
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Might try taking a VOLT reading at the battery with either the neg or pos disconnected to get battery voltage, then re-connect and plug in to shore power and check the meter again to see if it's higher (voltage).
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 07:37 PM   #7

Thanks everyone for you ideas and suggestions. I first learned I had a problem when the fridge check light came on. Fridge would not work on gas or electric. I started checking fuses. About 2 hours later I noticed my 12 V lights going dim then would not come on at all. I checked the battery and it was dead. I had just pulled it off the charger the day before. I new my converter was not charging. Checked all fuses in fuse box they were good. From the suggestions I crawled up into the storage area underneath, removed a panel and found 2 35 amp fuse blown on side of the converter. Problem solved. Thanks to all that guided to the problem.

RetCityMan
CityMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 01:01 AM   #8

Always ask, WHY DID THE FUSE BLOW. If you cannot answer that question, watch out. And ask why did the battery go completely dead? With frugal use my fully charged batteries will last days? Is the polarity on the battery connection correct. What is the static amp draw from the batteries with nothing --or nothing much turned. Is your inverter left on when not being used. My 2000 watt sine wave pulls about 2 amps no load, so we turn it off when not needed. Some pull 4 to 5 amps with no load.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, charging, converter