Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2018, 09:03 PM   #1

converting Forest River Wildwood 2000 to solar

So Ive been cranking away helping a friend convert to solar on his 5th wheel. Its a F.R Wildwood 2000 as stated in my thread title.

We almost finished the installation last night and ran into an issue. We replaced the existing 12V battery(up front, under the tongue) with a 12 V source derived from a buck converter coming off our 24V AGM battery bank (under a 30 amp breaker) I had thought this an ok place to penetrate our 12 V in. While our 12V load center is at the opposite end of the trailer, I assumed everything was connected. We landed the 12V under the existing lugs mounted to the frame of the trailer. I scrolled the forum and realized these are actually breakers? Strange lil things but ok. I put all the 12V+ under the same terminal and didnt see any 12V back at our 12V panel. Any ideas? thanks very much.
slurrybowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 09:38 PM   #2
Certified Curmudgeon

Interesting scenario. I understand the use of the converter step down but am missing the intended use of the solar. I dont think it will charge your batts backwards through the converter (maybe a diode) but you should get 12+ volts out of your controller.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:56 PM   #3

The solar is going to run all 120V AC loads in the trailer and all 12VDC loads in the trailer. When grid tied, the Samlex EVO is able to charge the batteries and pass through AC to run the 120 loads. Hope that helps.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:05 PM   #4
Certified Curmudgeon

Ok I got it but it’s above my KSA level. My best guess is that there is a possibility that one or more of the reverse polarity fuses blew out on your 12v power distribution panel. But my experience only goes back to 2003 and my converter(s) were deck mounted. It was an Iota panel. Beyond that, I have no clue. Sorry and good luck.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:15 PM   #5

Thanks for the input. An important point that I failed to mention is that I did indeed initially wire the polarity up flipped. where would these fuses be?
Old 07-17-2018, 10:33 PM   #6
Certified Curmudgeon

If the Power Panel has the converter/charger in it, the fuses would be next to the breakers on the front. If the converter is deck mounted, they would be next to where the battery cables come in on the back.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by slurrybowl View Post
So Ive been cranking away helping a friend convert to solar on his 5th wheel. Its a F.R Wildwood 2000 as stated in my thread title.

We almost finished the installation last night and ran into an issue. We replaced the existing 12V battery(up front, under the tongue) with a 12 V source derived from a buck converter coming off our 24V AGM battery bank (under a 30 amp breaker) I had thought this an ok place to penetrate our 12 V in. While our 12V load center is at the opposite end of the trailer, I assumed everything was connected. We landed the 12V under the existing lugs mounted to the frame of the trailer. I scrolled the forum and realized these are actually breakers? Strange lil things but ok. I put all the 12V+ under the same terminal and didnt see any 12V back at our 12V panel. Any ideas? thanks very much.
Quote:
The solar is going to run all 120V AC loads in the trailer and all 12VDC loads in the trailer. When grid tied, the Samlex EVO is able to charge the batteries and pass through AC to run the 120 loads. Hope that helps.
Quote:
Thanks for the input. An important point that I failed to mention is that I did indeed initially wire the polarity up flipped. where would these fuses be?
What model Samlex Evolution do you have? I have a EVO-2212 PSW Inverter/Charger. The Samlex Evolution Series Inverter/chargers have input terminals for the Solar Charge Controller. You no longer need the OEM converter/charger.

How many watts of Solar do you have? What Solar Charge controller did you get?

I have the output from my EVO-2212 doing straight to the Main Circuit panel. I hope you ordered the remote panel as it is needed for firmware updates. I had to update mine from v.68 to v.75.

Samlex support can also help you with question on the Evolution Inverter/Charger.

Let me how it goes. I love my EVO-2212. It is like having a UPS in my Motorhome.

Expanding compartment space for 2200 Watt Inverter/Charger
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:22 PM   #8

evo

We are using an EVO 2224, the Midnight solar KID is directly connected to the EVO as you mentioned. We have 3, 260W panels on the roof and if we can get the 12V issue working, we will be good to go!
Old 07-19-2018, 01:37 AM   #9

Quote:
We are using an EVO 2224, the Midnight solar KID is directly connected to the EVO as you mentioned. We have 3, 260W panels on the roof and if we can get the 12V issue working, we will be good to go!
The EVO-2224 is a 24v model. How are you going to convert from 24v to 12v? A small 24v - 12v converter will power your coach lights and slides but if may not have enough power for the jacks.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest river, solar, wildwood