Old 03-06-2013, 04:27 PM   #31

Thanks Herk.

I'm pretty sure I'll be buying the Trojan SCS225's. I have somebody ordering a pair for me in St. Louis. Just have to drive about 130 miles to pick them up is all. Trojan batteries are hard to come by evidently for where I live.

I spoke with a tech at Trojan also and he told me I should be able to put the full amps from solar array into them. According to my math of probably best case scenario I will be putting 40+ amps into the batteries at 14+ volts. He said 10-20% of the battery amp hours is what I should go by. These batteries will be a total of 260 AH for two of them. So I'm guessing 26-52 amps should be fine.

Somebody let me know if my math is jacked up.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:48 AM   #32
Denver, CO

What's more important is how much you are going use in a typical day and how many days of low or no light you are designing for.

580 watts at 14 volts is 40 ish amps which is maybe around 200 AH a day in decent sun. That's quite a lot of capacity unless you are running a BIG inverter.

How many Amp Hours a day do you need.?

Old 03-07-2013, 11:04 AM   #33
Site Team

I have a single Trojan SCS225 that I use in my Surveyor. It's a great battery.

I paid $190 at Batteries Plus.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:12 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
What's more important is how much you are going use in a typical day and how many days of low or no light you are designing for.

580 watts at 14 volts is 40 ish amps which is maybe around 200 AH a day in decent sun. That's quite a lot of capacity unless you are running a BIG inverter.

How many Amp Hours a day do you need.?
I don't need 200 AH per day. I'm going for overkill. But, there is always a but isn't there. I'm trying to design the solar infrastructure to be portable. In other words I'm wanting to be able to easily detach my solar panels and charger for use on a small cabin. If I so desire. Plus I want to be able to charge as quickly as possible when there is intermittent sunlight and maybe squeeze a little more out of a cloudy day. Overkill is better than underkill IMHO as long as everything plays nice together.

What I'd imagine I'll do when camping is spend to much time on my computers and watch a movie or two during the night on my 32" flat screen and blueray player. Additional wattage will be pulled by computer speakers (w\subwoofer) while watching a movie because sound quality is important. I have a xantrex 1000w pure sine wave inverter for this which I think will be just fine.

I don't plan on any heavy draws like microwave, vacuum, coffee maker, etc. But I'm hoping to purchase a Honda or Yamaha generator in the future for running the air conditioner if I'm too uncomfortable.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:10 PM   #35

K Lou. I broke down and got some real batteries. I just had to take a vacation day, drive 130+ miles, and drop 400+ dollars....

Old 03-13-2013, 11:17 PM   #36
Owner/Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollumi View Post
K Lou. I broke down and got some real batteries. I just had to take a vacation day, drive 130+ miles, and drop 400+ dollars....

Do you know the make and model of your Battery Boxes?

I have two SCS225s arriving on Monday, and I'm having trouble finding Battery Boxes that will accommodate the Batteries.

RodeoGeorge
Old 03-13-2013, 11:24 PM   #37

Got them from Amazon. Link below. Not a perfect fit though height wise because the height of the bolts on the battery. Width is no problem though. I'm thinking if I replace the wing nuts for the taller bolts it may be ok.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004W5SGBO
Old 03-14-2013, 07:43 AM   #38

My Battery Problem is ...

It looks like I have one bad cell in a bank of 4 batteries that are 3 seasons old. I really don't want to buy 4 new batteries. You are supposed to match batteries in a bank.

Suggestions?

Details:
I dry camp for 1-3 months every winter. For the other 9 months it's plugged in or being towed down the road.

Progressive Dynamics 40 amp charger with Charge Wizard.

I have a Trimetric 2025. I use about 80 amp hours a day.

In December 2010 I bought 4 Interstate U2200s. That's 464 ah. I should be able to go two days. I've never gotten more than about 50-80 ah out of them before the voltage drops to 12.2.

That 1st winter I checked with a hydrometer & they were normal. I bought the Black & Decker Vector 40 amp charger so I could get them up to 80-90% with 2-3 hours of generator run time.

The 2nd winter seemed ok. I gave up on the 2 day dream & ran the generator every day.

This past winter I checked again with a hydrometer. One cell was low, well into the white, almost red.

We're home now and the batteries have been charged to 100% as defined by the Charge Wizard - that takes about 3 days. No change on the hydrometer. A 24 hour equalization by the Vector. The good cells got a little better, the bad cell worse - into the red.

One cycle of desulfation (24 hours) and the readings went back to pre-equalization. That could be temperature. This is March in Georgia.

The second desulfation cycle is going now. I'm planning on 5 cycles before I give up.

Joel

Tags
battery