Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2018, 01:25 PM   #1

Crunched my car cable

I was backing into our parking spot after a nice weekend and I turned hard. I heard a pop or bang or something and got out to look and there was smoke coming from underneath travel trailer in the front. I looked around and stuck my head underneath but didn't see anything. The smoke stopped so I finished backing up into spot. When I was done, I noticed I had crunched the electrical cable to the car between the trailer hitch and the frame. Anyone done something like that before? I'll need a new cable but am not sure about some of the underside wiring. Looks like it burnt too. I was going to call the place where I bought it to see if this might get covered under warranty. I guess there is a right way and a wrong way to route the car cable when you're towing?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chopped car cable.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	407.9 KB
ID:	188513   Click image for larger version

Name:	Underside wiring burnt.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	301.9 KB
ID:	188514   Click image for larger version

Name:	Undid the crunch.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	327.9 KB
ID:	188515  
Dbotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 01:29 PM   #2

Seriously doubt they'll cover it but it's worth asking about.

I'd pull it all off and replace it. Hopefully you didn't damage the power inverter in the RV.

Also, check your fuses in the car. Wouldn't surprise me if you have a blown fuse or two.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 01:46 PM   #3

I'd be shocked if anybody warranted that. This is called lessons learned the hard way.
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK, Reese 19K Sidewinder PB.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 02:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbotz View Post
....Anyone done something like that before?...

Yep...I did it. No problem to replace if you are comfortable wiring. Two pieces of advice...don’t assume the color coded wire is the same across connector mfgrs and get the correct length cord set to start with. Here is an example of what ur looking for.

Lavolta 7-Way Trailer Truck Camper Plug Cord - Inline Harness Kit RV Blade Molded Wire Double Prong Connector - Weatherproof and Corrosion Resistant - 8 FT https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FWIFSCE..._N9LUBb8MYCDP3
2011 Starcraft 392BHUw/Andersen No-Sway

chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 02:48 PM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Yes there is a right way and a wrong way. You already know the outcome of the wrong way.

Owner mistakes are not usually warranty but maybe your dealer will goodwill a replacement if you recently purchased. It isn't a big dollar replacement to change out the umbilical cord.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 03:00 PM   #6

Warranty will not cover negligence. Sorry.

The color codes for these cables are standard. Buy a long one and cut to length. This is a simple albeit labor intensive project and the minimum wage "tech" at the dealer is likely to have less experience than you with simple wiring.

Usually a metal box under the trailer near the tongue (your #2 photo). Replace the wires one at a time at the trailer end so you don't lose track of what color goes where. While you're in there is a good time to fit backup lights if they're not already on the trailer. Just need to run a single wire to the rear of the trailer. A pair of bumper mounted LED fog lights works wonderfully back into campsites in the dark as well as warn tailgaters you're in reverse!

I'll be shocked (shocked, I tell you!) if your trailer wiring is different from standard:

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 03:00 PM   #7
Site Team

I don't guess I am understanding this one, when you say between the trailer hitch and frame?

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 03:52 PM   #8

Quote:
I don't guess I am understanding this one, when you say between the trailer hitch and frame?
If he turned hard as he said he may have pinched the cable between the ball and the trailer frame...

Look for the junction box on the underside of the trailer where the plug wiring attaches to the trailer... cut and make your new connections at the junction box... some heat shrink tube will make this job quicker plus a cheap pair of wire cutter/strippers.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 05:58 PM   #9

OP, don't just assume the color code is the same on a new cable. Verify it first. It is my understanding there are two different color schemes in use, depending on trailer type (marine, utility, RV, etc.)
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 07:16 PM   #10

Thanks for the info. I see I can get a replacement cable and it shouldn't be too hard to replace it.
I'm more worried about the wires that overheated under the trailer. They created a lot of smoke when this happened. One of the wires clearly has burned insulation.
Old 10-07-2018, 07:23 PM   #11

Check those wires closely while under there. Replace as needed using crimp fittings and heat shrink tubing or coat with liquid tape sealer.
Andersen hitch
Old 10-07-2018, 08:31 PM   #12

The heated because they shorted out. There may be much more damage.

The umbilical cord should run no where near the coupler and ball and needs enough slack for any turn. The wires look as if they were ripped out of the junction box. Don't let neatness interfere with function.

The trailer safety chains should cross under the coupler just tension to keep them off the pavement. I lay my umbilical cord across the X to keep any slack in it interfering. Because my truck's outlet is on the right of the hitch I run the cord from the left side below the tongue, across the chain X, and connect to the truck. Nothing drags. Nothing gets too tight. All wiring is below the ball area.

-- Chuck
Old 10-08-2018, 10:38 AM   #13

Umbilical cord

I didn't think of it myself but while at dealership, the technician hooked my truck up to the TT and plugged in the umbilical. Since we have a pin with loop keeper for the ball latch, he run the cord through the loop. Keeps cable in a good place.
jimla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:41 AM   #14

That's an excellent idea! I was trying to figure out the best way to tie wrap the cable so this never happens again but I think that will work very well.
Thanks Jimla!
Old 10-08-2018, 11:22 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimla View Post
I didn't think of it myself but while at dealership, the technician hooked my truck up to the TT and plugged in the umbilical. Since we have a pin with loop keeper for the ball latch, he run the cord through the loop. Keeps cable in a good place.
If I'm understanding you correctly be careful your cable doesn't pull out your safety pin.
Andersen hitch
Old 10-08-2018, 11:26 AM   #16

Keep the cable away from the coupler and especially the latch. I prefer everything under the tongue where it can't get caught on any thing.

-- Chuck
Old 10-08-2018, 12:49 PM   #17

Crunched

I did the same thing dealer spliced the cable back together for 45.00 half the hourly rate. Since then I unhook the cable before backing into storage or camping spot.
Jerheye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 02:26 PM   #18

I just recently did something similar. Backing in and at too sharp of an angle and pinched the cable. Had to go to the closest RV store to get a replacement. Had no trouble replacing it.

Good luck.
Glindz233s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:40 PM   #19

Wow, sorry you had an unfortunate damage.

What works for me is to wrap the cable once around the jack above the trailer frame then down between the frame and the starboard side leveling bar. So far it has worked out good for me. This method keeps my cable centered on the frame and off of the ground.

I've seen other methods with straps, etc.
tosh99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:22 PM   #20

I had the same unfortunate experience a while back. After splicing and sealing the severed conductors I found that a major 30 Amp square fuse was blown under the hood on the Silverado. No hardware stores were open on Sunday so I borrowed from another less important circuit for the trip home. I also found the resettable 12V circuit breaker on the trailer frame by the junction box was tripped. Easy to reset once you find the tiny black button.
dmchapman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable