Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2018, 11:25 AM   #1

Cummins Generator Will Not Run

I have a Cummins 5.5 MGJB built in generator on our XLR 5th. It will start and run for a few seconds and then it stops, but if I squirt engine cleaner into the intake it will keep running. Obviously a fuel problem. The fuel pump is pumping fuel and if I take the bowl off it is full of gas. The gen has less than 100 hours on it. I suspect the fuel shut-off solenoid is not working. Is there a way to test it? The fault code is "engine stopped with-out stop command" duh, really useful.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:25 AM   #2

You can call me crazy and I do not know how to test the fuel solenoid other than to power it remotely. However, you might like to try taking a turkey baster or something similar and sucking out about a pint or bit more of oil from the engine crankcase. I have read some Onan generators will not run when overfilled with oil. I am not sure the fault code reads high engine oil levels, however it the engine shuts down due to a high oil level, one would think it should. Good luck. Hopefully someone will come along who can answer your question.
Splitshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 04:42 AM   #3

Generator

What year is the generator, If I am not mistaken it has a 5 year warranty. I had issues with my generator, took it to Cummings facility, they ran it for 32 hours over 3 days and the darn thing would not shut down.

If yours is still under warranty and it will shut down every time I would take it to a dealer and have them look at it. I did several things, drained some oil, replaced fuel pump and filter, sprayed carb while running with cleaner and nothing fixed the issue. Replaced carb and so far with 2 hours of running no generator shut downs. Most of my shut downs was with air conditioner on.
Secarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 10:18 AM   #4

Sadly it is out of warranty (3 years). I have ordered a shut-off solenoid to see if that will fix it. There is a fault code for oil problems and the oil level is where it is supposed to be. Half way between low and full. There is another issue I really don’t like. The carburetor bowl has a gasket that I damaged when I took the bowl off. Cummins offers a carburetor kit, guess what the carburetor kit is, the whole carburetor at $450. Ridiculous
Old 08-15-2018, 02:09 PM   #5

Make sure you have the minimum amount of gas in your tank to keep it running - somewhere around 25% or more. Many gen sets have a minimum to protect against leaving you high and dry with no fuel. I had a similar problem to your and it was because I did not have enough fuel. Good Luck
Teich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 07:03 PM   #6

The generator is in a 5th wheel and has it's own tank. The gauge reads about 1/3 full. Can't be that.
Old 08-31-2018, 08:28 PM   #7

Problem solved, sort of

I finally got the fuel shut-off solenoid and changed it. The generator runs now but surges like crazy. I messed up the bowl gasket when I took the solenoid off and can't find a replacement gasket. It's not leaking though so it's probably not that. The bowl gasket is not shown as a part and I refuse to pay $460 for the "carburetor kit" which is the whole carburetor. The gasket, if I could find one, is probably a couple bucks.

Tags
generator