Old 04-16-2017, 09:23 PM   #1

Cummins Onan 4000 GUZZLING fuel

I took my new Forest River 25Pack12 out for its first off grid trip. I put 30 gallons of fuel into the camper. I used 6 gallons for our quads, and after 5 hours of running the fuel tank was empty! I was using the fridge, furnace and lights. Even at high load, the book says .7 gal/hr. Any suggestions or ideas?

EricknBrittany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 09:33 PM   #2

There's a math error somewhere. I have a 10KW generator that uses 1 gallon per hour at full load. How you lost 5 gal/hr is magic. I would believe it wouldn't even run saturated with that much fuel.

rat4spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 09:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rat4spd View Post
There's a math error somewhere. I have a 10KW generator that uses 1 gallon per hour at full load. How you lost 5 gal/hr is magic. I would believe it wouldn't even run saturated with that much fuel.

That's what I thought! All I can wonder is if the pump at the gas station was jacked up or something. It sounded like it ran fine, no leaks... im gonna fill it again and see what it does.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricknBrittany View Post
I took my new Forest River 25Pack12 out for its first off grid trip. I put 30 gallons of fuel into the camper. I used 6 gallons for our quads, and after 5 hours of running the fuel tank was empty! I was using the fridge, furnace and lights. Even at high load, the book says .7 gal/hr. Any suggestions or ideas?

I have a 17,500 watt generator that uses 3.2 gallons per hour under full load. That is 16 gallons in 5 hours.

You are saying your 4,000 watt generator drank 24 gallons in 5 hours. That is 4.8 gallons per hour.

I'm guessing something is amiss, however not generator usage. Either someone is stealing gas, you didn't have as full a tank as you thought or you aren't getting access to the the whole tank.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 09:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post
I have a 17,500 watt generator that uses 3.2 gallons per hour under full load. That is 16 gallons in 5 hours.

You are saying your 4,000 watt generator drank 24 gallons in 5 hours. That is 4.8 gallons per hour.

I'm guessing something is amiss, however not generator usage. Either someone is stealing gas, you didn't have as full a tank as you thought or you aren't getting access to the the whole tank.

After my first trip I realized this camping thing is a huge learning curve. Must be a factor that I screwed up on.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:55 PM   #6

Quote:
After my first trip I realized this camping thing is a huge learning curve. Must be a factor that I screwed up on.

Keep us posted. This is an interesting problem you have!
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 03:54 PM   #7

Quote:
The generator shouldn't drain the tank. Only down to a 1/4 tank, so you can still drive.
EdnKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 04:55 PM   #8

4.0Ky Fuel consumption

No load = 0.29 gallons/hour
1/2 load = 0.48 gallons/hour
Full load = 0.71 gallons/hour
BBQGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 05:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdnKat View Post
The generator shouldn't drain the tank. Only down to a 1/4 tank, so you can still drive.
That's true, on motor homes where the generator runs off of the same tank that the engine uses for fuel. The OP is talking about a toy hauler trailer.On toy haulers the fuel pickup USUALLY goes to the bottom of the tank, since emptying the trailer's fuel tank doesn't strand you. I know the fuel pickup in my toy hauler goes to within about an inch of the bottom of the 30 gallon tank.
Toys - CRF250X, CRF250R, CRF450R, CRF150F, TTR230, TRX250EX
rmoore0852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:47 PM   #10

Quote:
That's what I thought! All I can wonder is if the pump at the gas station was jacked up or something. It sounded like it ran fine, no leaks... im gonna fill it again and see what it does.
Sounds like someone else was filling up their toys while your back was turned..

On the serious side, watch when you fill that thing. Angled the wrong on our old unit, it registered full at the filler neck with about 8 gallons of fuel on board. The filler neck is not far above the fluid level in the tank. I've never gotten a full 40 gals in the new rig. I stop fighting it at 30.

2017 Sandstorm 250 TH, with
8 wheel TST TPMS and
The Hot Air Balloon RESTLESS
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel