Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2017, 09:23 PM   #1
Member
 
EricknBrittany's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Cazenovia, NY
Posts: 31
Cummins Onan 4000 GUZZLING fuel

I took my new Forest River 25Pack12 out for its first off grid trip. I put 30 gallons of fuel into the camper. I used 6 gallons for our quads, and after 5 hours of running the fuel tank was empty! I was using the fridge, furnace and lights. Even at high load, the book says .7 gal/hr. Any suggestions or ideas?
__________________

EricknBrittany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 09:33 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Midwest
Posts: 208
There's a math error somewhere. I have a 10KW generator that uses 1 gallon per hour at full load. How you lost 5 gal/hr is magic. I would believe it wouldn't even run saturated with that much fuel.
__________________

rat4spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 09:35 PM   #3
Member
 
EricknBrittany's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Cazenovia, NY
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by rat4spd View Post
There's a math error somewhere. I have a 10KW generator that uses 1 gallon per hour at full load. How you lost 5 gal/hr is magic. I would believe it wouldn't even run saturated with that much fuel.


That's what I thought! All I can wonder is if the pump at the gas station was jacked up or something. It sounded like it ran fine, no leaks... im gonna fill it again and see what it does.
EricknBrittany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 09:52 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricknBrittany View Post
I took my new Forest River 25Pack12 out for its first off grid trip. I put 30 gallons of fuel into the camper. I used 6 gallons for our quads, and after 5 hours of running the fuel tank was empty! I was using the fridge, furnace and lights. Even at high load, the book says .7 gal/hr. Any suggestions or ideas?


I have a 17,500 watt generator that uses 3.2 gallons per hour under full load. That is 16 gallons in 5 hours.

You are saying your 4,000 watt generator drank 24 gallons in 5 hours. That is 4.8 gallons per hour.

I'm guessing something is amiss, however not generator usage. Either someone is stealing gas, you didn't have as full a tank as you thought or you aren't getting access to the the whole tank.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 09:53 PM   #5
Member
 
EricknBrittany's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Cazenovia, NY
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post
I have a 17,500 watt generator that uses 3.2 gallons per hour under full load. That is 16 gallons in 5 hours.

You are saying your 4,000 watt generator drank 24 gallons in 5 hours. That is 4.8 gallons per hour.

I'm guessing something is amiss, however not generator usage. Either someone is stealing gas, you didn't have as full a tank as you thought or you aren't getting access to the the whole tank.


After my first trip I realized this camping thing is a huge learning curve. Must be a factor that I screwed up on.
EricknBrittany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 09:55 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricknBrittany View Post
After my first trip I realized this camping thing is a huge learning curve. Must be a factor that I screwed up on.


Keep us posted. This is an interesting problem you have!
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 03:54 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southern Delaware
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricknBrittany View Post
After my first trip I realized this camping thing is a huge learning curve. Must be a factor that I screwed up on.
The generator shouldn't drain the tank. Only down to a 1/4 tank, so you can still drive.
EdnKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 04:55 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Ayden, NC
Posts: 185
4.0Ky Fuel consumption


No load = 0.29 gallons/hour
1/2 load = 0.48 gallons/hour
Full load = 0.71 gallons/hour
BBQGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 05:47 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: West Texas
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdnKat View Post
The generator shouldn't drain the tank. Only down to a 1/4 tank, so you can still drive.
That's true, on motor homes where the generator runs off of the same tank that the engine uses for fuel. The OP is talking about a toy hauler trailer.On toy haulers the fuel pickup USUALLY goes to the bottom of the tank, since emptying the trailer's fuel tank doesn't strand you. I know the fuel pickup in my toy hauler goes to within about an inch of the bottom of the 30 gallon tank.
__________________
2006 Chevrolet 2500HD CCSB Duramax/Allison
Demco 18k Autoslide
2012 Puma Unleashed 356QLB toy hauler
Toys - CRF250X, CRF250R, CRF450R, CRF150F, TTR230, TRX250EX
rmoore0852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:47 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Tom48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Ontario, California
Posts: 1,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricknBrittany View Post
That's what I thought! All I can wonder is if the pump at the gas station was jacked up or something. It sounded like it ran fine, no leaks... im gonna fill it again and see what it does.
Sounds like someone else was filling up their toys while your back was turned..

On the serious side, watch when you fill that thing. Angled the wrong on our old unit, it registered full at the filler neck with about 8 gallons of fuel on board. The filler neck is not far above the fluid level in the tank. I've never gotten a full 40 gals in the new rig. I stop fighting it at 30.
__________________

__________________
Tom48
In Sunny So Cal /w
2004 SD F250 now BULLET PROOFED
2017 Sandstorm 250 TH, with
8 wheel TST TPMS and
The Hot Air Balloon RESTLESS
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fuel

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:08 PM.