Old 04-18-2018, 08:02 PM   #1

Dangerous fr cheap-out

Most of us are all too aware of the many low quality components that FR uses to build their products. I recently found one that reduces safety.

This is the taillight on my T-12:

This is the base with the lens removed and the bulb removed:

Notice that there is no silver reflector behind the area where the bulb sits. I worked for 45 years in the automotive service business, and have never before seen a tail & brake light assembly without an internal reflector to boost the power of the bulb.

My fix was to put some reflective tape on the base:

While it is not as good as a properly designed reflector, it is an improvement. I also installed LED bulbs.

Last note on this design. There is no weather seal between the lens and the base, so water and dirt get in. A good seasonal inspection and cleaning is helpful. Look out for corrosion in the socket and the bulb.

Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 08:06 PM   #2

Awesome idea. I will be checking mine soon.

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2011 Ford F150 Ecoboost
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 600-800lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 08:20 PM   #3
RCW

I did the same thing to mine last year. I also packed the socket with dielectric grease.
RCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 10:00 PM   #4

If you are going to go thru the trouble, remove the bulb and replace it with a panel LED light. Much brighter and lasts almost forever.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 11:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
If you are going to go thru the trouble, remove the bulb and replace it with a panel LED light. Much brighter and lasts almost forever.

Got a link or picture of one of these?

2013 Wildwood 26TBSS
SDShocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 12:00 AM   #6

I will be putting these on:

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lig...BoCkOIQAvD_BwE
babock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 02:02 AM   #7

"Dangerous" and "reduces safety" are pretty big accusations. Perhaps they aren't up to your personal standards, but the factory lights comply with SAE standards and are DOT approved. Says so right on the lens, if they weren't DOT-approved then they wouldn't be able to be legally installed.

With the advent of HID and LED headlights, I could say that halogen headlights are comparatively "dangerous" and "reduce safety" when compared to the improved output from HID and LED bulbs combined with proper projector headlamp assemblies, but they aren't dangerous and don't reduce safety simply because there are better options that improve visibility/safety.

Not saying the factory lights can't be improved upon by your modifications, but your statement that the factory lights are dangerous and reduce safety is a bit sensational. Trailer lights not having an internal reflector for the bulb is quite common and are not required as long as the light assembly meets the minimum lumen/clearly visible distance requirements.

Not trying to argue, just rubbed the wrong way by your choice of words.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:30 AM   #8

I like the idea of switching to the LEDs just because 99.9% of the time my trailer only rolls in bright daylight
klickitatjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 03:55 AM   #9

I bought the exact same light replacement, but with LEDs at amazon. The link is for the right side. You can buy the left side there, also. Here’s a link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bruce
Old 04-19-2018, 05:26 AM   #10

I agree that a 1157 powered Stop/Tail light on most trailers is "Pitiful in the Daytime"! I replaced our Tail lights over to LED Stop/Turn strip lights long ago! I/We want the "OTHER GUY" to see when we are going to "STOP/Turn" in the Daytime that is when LEDS Really show their Worth! I really wish more Vehicles came equipped with "TURN Signals" so people could Use them when "Merging on to highways,changing Lanes,or even Turning"! Youroo!!