Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2011, 11:41 AM   #1

DC Converter Fan always on (running)

I have a 2007 Rockwood Ultra Light. The DC converter cooling fan is always running, whether plugged in or just battery. This eventually drains the battery. I have read the manual and it states the fan will rarely run. Any suggestions?
kharris111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:23 PM   #2
Site Team

first, the converter fan doesn't run unless you're hooked to shore power. so it can't run the battery down, unless you've got a bad converter that's no longer recharging the battery.

the fan only runs to cool the converter, which only happens when you're plugged into shore power.
therefore, if the battery is dead after being plugged in and the fan runs all the time, there are two possible issues.

bad converter or bad battery.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:51 PM   #3

I just bought a new battery, so must be the converter. Not too impressed considering the rig is only on its fourth season. Maybe I should have bought the extended warranty afterall!
By the way, the fan runs whether plugged in or just battery power - all the time.
kharris111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:04 PM   #4
Site Team

as far as i know, the converter's fan does not run when it's not on shore power. it's activated by the converter's temp and the converter doesn't heat up when you are on 12v only.
at least that's how i understand it.

since you didn't post the model you have, i don't know what fridge you have. some have fridges that have an internal fan.
my Dometic doesn't but i read that others do. there's a current thread about it, with someone wanting to install a switch to be able to turn it off.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:16 PM   #5

Here is a communication I had with customer support on the Parrallax 7100 converter in our trailer. Although our converter was not continually running it would cycle on and off every few seconds. If nothing else this will give you a contact at Parrallax.

Good Luck

Subject: RE: Model 7100 Question
Date: Tuesday, October 20, 2009, 8:16 AM
Richard,

The fan circuit in the 7155 is micro processor controlled and the fan is cycled on and off determined by:

1. Primarily - the amount of DC amperage the converter section is supplying to the 12 volt system.
2. Secondarily - the ambient temperature of the mounting location where the converter is mounted and how much access is available for conditioned room air.

A basic test for normal operation of the fan circuit would be as follows:

1. Disconnect the "house" batteries.

2. Temperature inside the RV must be 70 degrees F or higher.

3. Converter power must be on.

4. Turn on approximately 1/2 of the 12 volt lights in the RV.

The idea here is to get the converter to a DC load amperage of 30- 40 amps of output. You may take the load to 50-55 amps if you have the capacity to measure the DC current load, but you must not go over 55 amperes of DC load.

5. Let this load operate for 10-15 minutes. After this time frame the fan should be on constantly at full speed and not cycling.

6. If the converter fan circuit passes this test, the fan circuit is operating normally.

Marty Redd

RV Technical Support and Training
Parallax Power Supply
A Division of Connecticut-Electric, Inc.

Ph: 800-443-4859 ext 305
Direct Ph/Fax 866-806-1541
mredd@connecticut-electric.com
1957 Dodge D100, 315 Poly
Liberty Hill, TX
52Dodgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kharris111 View Post
I have a 2007 Rockwood Ultra Light. The DC converter cooling fan is always running, whether plugged in or just battery. This eventually drains the battery. I have read the manual and it states the fan will rarely run. Any suggestions?

You need a new cicuit board. The solid state switching device is shorted.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:05 PM   #7

My converter was fried this weekend at a local campground ue to a blown transformer.

You can buy a replacment unit at Best Converters or they reccommend an upgrade with better battery monitoring and low/high voltage protection its a PD4655 55 Amp Converter Upgrade they state its a direct replacment.

Best regards,

Al
ALMcKinney is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan