Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2019, 06:34 PM   #1

DC Electric Fritz

Our Rockwood Geo Pro 16BH is having an electrical issue when on battery. It utilizes a WFCO WF-8735 30 amp power center, with converter only, no inverter. We have 2 deep cycle 6V, well maintained batteries. Months ago, while on battery power the 12V electrical systems would not work intermittently. When this occurred I would hear a scratchy static from the indoor speaker, although the stereo was off. After fiddling with the battery disconnect it would work, so I chalked it up to the disconnect. After replacing the disconnect, nothing was working and I reinstalled the original disconnect switch and everything worked.

Fast forward 6 months and we took the trailer to an RV park. After three nights on full hook-ups, I unplugged from shore power and turned on the water pump. When the water pump was running the lights dimmed and flickered, while the batteries were showing 2/3 (should have been 100% after being on shore power). After the drive home the batteries indicated 100%.

Today I placed the fully charged batteries on the trailer and nothing worked coupled with the static from the speaker and battery indicator showing week batteries (don’t believe this was a true indication). I fiddled with the battery disconnect and things seemed to work again, although when the lights were turned on the converter fan didn’t kick on like normal. The awning refused to extend until after several attempts at the switch. I plugged into generator power and everything seemed to work just fine. I unplugged from the generator and the speaker static, wonky battery indicator and the awning retract was stubborn. The light worked. Any ideas? Bad power station?
RFishstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 07:31 PM   #2
Retired Old Fart

Sounds like you have a poor connection somewhere. Could be the ground to the frame? I would start there. Follow the negative wire from the battery to where it screws to the frame. If the wire looks oxidized or is loose that is probably your issue. I know they used a inexpensive crimp on ring eye for my frame ground and the wire strands are clearly oxidized. I'm replacing it.

If it's the frame ground, just taking the battery covers off to check the batteries may have moved the wire enough to help it make a little better, but not ideal connection so it sort of worked again. Also check the negative line from the DC fuse panel at the WFCO to where it mounts on the frame (may be underneath belly material if you have that). And don't forget to make sure the screw terminals at the DC distribution panel for the feed from the battery and the converter are also solid and tight. It's not unheard of for one of those to be loose (I would unplug from AC power before tightening those screws as you may need to remove the front panel of your WFCO box and you don't want to touch an AC connection by accident.

If that is not it, with the converter on AC see how much voltage you have at the battery terminals.

Also the WFCO fan should only come on when the converter is working hard under load, not all the time. So if there is a bad connection somewhere, it may not be capable of pushing much amperage to the battery (hence the fan not coming on).
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 11:35 AM   #3

Had the professionals address this at a local RV shop. I don’t know if they were able to replicate the issue, however found 2 loose wires in the power center. They also added a second ground wire to the battery series.

My converter fan used to kick on for a moment anytime I used anything DC powered. Since my trailer has returned from the shop the converter fan hasn’t come on at all. I turned on all indoor / outdoor lights and operated the slide, no fan. There may have been an issue since day one.
RFishstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 04:21 PM   #4
Just as confused as you

The converter fan should run while the converter is charging the batteries when your connected to shore or generator power. Once the batteries are charged it will turn off. It will not run if you are boondocking on battery power only. Depending on where your converter is it may be difficult at times to hear the fan running.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:44 PM   #5
Retired Old Fart

If you had a poor ground, then you were also having problems recharging the battery to full charge in a timely manner. That might well explain why the WFCO fan ran all the time as well. Ground is critical when the frame is used as the ground like in a travel trailer. If the ground connection if flaky, it's like all the DC stuff that grounds to the frame (pretty much everything) is also flaky.

It would also likely affect your electric brakes. They will probably be stronger with the ground repaired now.
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric