Old 07-04-2014, 12:06 AM   #1

dc to ac inverter

Hello,

I have 500 watts of solar on the roof a blue sky 3000i charge controller 2-6 volt batts in series. Charging and all that side is good. I have a 2000 watt sine wave inverter wired into the system.
Is there any info out there on wiring the 110 volt output of the inverter into the electrical system, so I do not have to use extension cords and be able to use the microwave.
Maybe both outputs to a 30amp breaker box then to back of electrical panel fuse box. On when not connected to shore power and off when I am connected to shore power. I do not know for sure looking for a direction.

Thanks

Old 07-04-2014, 12:25 AM   #2

Subscribing to see what the answer is. I have a 1250W inverter and would like to wire it into the house. I'm thinking I can add a switch to disconnect the converter so that it won't try to charge but really haven't looked into it too far.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 09:30 AM   #3

You need to wire the AC shore power and the and AC inverter output through a either/or switch so there is no possibility of having both on at the same time.

Also note that running your air conditioning while on inverter power is probably not a good idea.
Old 07-04-2014, 01:04 PM   #4

Easiest way is to add a 30 amp RV outlet wired to the inverter. By doing so, you'll avoid the extra expenses of a automatic flip-flop device. You'll also know it's wired to all outlets, so you can plug into outlet for 110 vac. In fact I'm most ways it's just like shore power.
EDIT: you won't forget to disconnect from shore power either as your cord will be plugged into the outlet on the camper.

BUT, a couple of things to be aware of. 1-you'll have to turn off the breaker to the converter. You are using solar, so you probably already done that. 2- you will need to turn the fridge and hot water heater to gas only. 3- keep the inverters as close as possible to the battery and run the 120vac cord to the outlet for minimum voltage drop and expense.
Old 07-04-2014, 01:13 PM   #5

Here's a pix of the plug in my cord compartment..been like that for nearly 2 weeks while we've been camping.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1404493998593.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	57154  
Old 07-04-2014, 04:53 PM   #6

I would be VERY careful with this setup - if you don't have a filp/flop switch you run the risk of having shore power and inverter power at the same time - I am sure you will "cook" something.

Also note that 500 watts of solar power isn't much when you start running high power AC appliances.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadman99 View Post
I would be VERY careful with this setup - if you don't have a filp/flop switch you run the risk of having shore power and inverter power at the same time - I am sure you will "cook" something.

Also note that 500 watts of solar power isn't much when you start running high power AC appliances.
Which set up? Mine is impossible as the shore power cord is plugged into the outlet from the inverter.

Tags
inverter