Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2013, 07:12 AM   #1

Dead battery

I have a battery question also. My camper is a 2013 Flagstaff A Frame and I had the electric brakes option installed when I bought it. The battery is now dead and my question is: do I need to charge it up before my first trip or will just connecting it to the TV charge it up sufficiently for the electric brakes to operate properly? I have a 110 volt outlet nearby that I could plug into, if it's necessary. Is it recommended to charge the battery before I take off for the first time?
Thanks,
Jim
jjdcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:16 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdcamper View Post
I have a battery question also. My camper is a 2013 Flagstaff A Frame and I had the electric brakes option installed when I bought it. The battery is now dead and my question is: do I need to charge it up before my first trip or will just connecting it to the TV charge it up sufficiently for the electric brakes to operate properly? I have a 110 volt outlet nearby that I could plug into, if it's necessary. Is it recommended to charge the battery before I take off for the first time?
Thanks,
Jim
Imo you should charge it before you go.
The battery may be no good and need replaced.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:29 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou

Jim,

RV batteries need to have a minimum of 12AH remaining in order to get ONE emergency brake application. Using your TV to charge your battery would mean you would need to sit with the engine running for about two hours to get that much juice into the battery using the truck's alternator BEFORE you can safely tow it. (This assumes that your battery was not frozen when it died and is still good - which I doubt).

Remove your battery from the camper and check to make sure all vents have water in them. If you do not see water at all in ANY cell, buy a new one as the case may have cracked and it leaked out. NEVER try to charge a battery with a dry cell (boom time). DO NOT try to put water into the battery if the plates are dry. Get a new one.

If you see water in every cell to AT LEAST the top of the plates, put the battery on a DEDICATED 4 Stage charger.
One with a "recovery" stage (or mode).
If the charger indicates "Fail" buy a new battery.

After it indicates "charged" recheck the water level. (Do not remove any)
If you have to top off, use DISTILLED water to the bottom of the vent hole (there is usually a molded ring at the bottom of the fill port (NOT THE TOP or you will have acid everywhere when you charge it up).

This is what happens if you do not follow the above:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3765.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	27398   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3767.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	27399  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Automobile Alternators as Chargers.pdf (805.9 KB, 35 views)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Imo you should charge it before you go.
The battery may be no good and need replaced.

Turbs
Turbs:
The battery is brand new. It went dead sitting in my driveway. When I bought the camper, I towed it home, which was about 70 miles, and the lights inside worked for a few days but I think it went dead from lack of use. (Not being plugged in to any power source.) Do you think plugging it in will harm the battery?
Thanks,
Jim
Old 04-08-2013, 08:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Turbs:
The battery is brand new. It went dead sitting in my driveway. When I bought the camper, I towed it home, which was about 70 miles, and the lights inside worked for a few days but I think it went dead from lack of use. (Not being plugged in to any power source.) Do you think plugging it in will harm the battery?
Thanks,
Jim
If you continue to let it go completely dead it can damage the battery. I'd suggest you install a battery shutoff.

Plug the camper in for a day and it will charge the battery. I would not rely on the tow vehicle charging the battery.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len & Cheri View Post
If you continue to let it go completely dead it can damage the battery. I'd suggest you install a battery shutoff.

Plug the camper in for a day and it will charge the battery. I would not rely on the tow vehicle charging the battery.
Thanks for the info. I'll plug it in today and see what happens.
Jim
Old 04-08-2013, 08:56 AM   #7
Steve & Phyllis

I won't bore you with the theory behind it but you should never ever never let a lead acid battery go totally dead and stay they way. I would suggest taking it to an auto parts place and let them check it (free service) to make sure none of the cells are now shorted. It will charge but not hold it if so. If any of the lead plates are exposed (no water covering them) you should replace it period. Also if it is totally dead you should put the charger on it and cover it with a piece of wood or something to protect area around it just in case it explodes. Stand way back when you apply power to charger. Sorry didn't mean to be so long but spent most of my life dealing with this and have seen the real horrors first hand of what can happen. Please be sure to remove it from camper to charge it in case of fire.
SteveBingham52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:16 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Jjdcamper ,
Campers all have parasitic draws that will drain a battery dead in a few weeks time.
Things such as the radio and co detector to name a few.
You either a) have to leave it plugged into shore power or b) disconnect the battery when not in use by taking cables off or installing a battery disconnect switch as stated already.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:09 AM   #9

To all the folks who responded:

Thanks so much for your help. I explained what happened to a retired mechanic friend of mine and he suggested putting a trickle charger on it for at least 24 hours, which we did yesterday. He checked the water level in the battery and it was at the level it was supposed to be at. I have to go to Charleston, SC today but I'll be back this afternoon and then we'll take the charger off, and see if the battery took the charge. (A 24 hour charge with the trickle charger.)

I want to thank all for your kind help.

From now on, when I know I won't be using the camper for a while, I'll disconnect the cables.
Jim
Old 04-09-2013, 06:11 AM   #10
Steve & Phyllis

Hey jjbcamper we will be over your way for a few weeks end of this month. We stay at Ocean Lakes but make several trips over to Harrelsons for fresh seafood. Stop by the camp and have some grilled grouper if you get a chance.
SteveBingham52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:24 AM   #11

first thing we should do with the battery is

check the water level before charging

distilled water only

MM
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:26 AM   #12

If it is a new battery take it back and make them give you a new one should be good if it is new
jkklops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:43 AM   #13
Site Team

Jim take a peek at this FAQ-
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ead-16392.html
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:52 AM   #14
Site Team - Lou

Quote:

Thanks so much for your help. I explained what happened to a retired mechanic friend of mine and he suggested putting a trickle charger on it for at least 24 hours, which we did yesterday. He checked the water level in the battery and it was at the level it was supposed to be at. I have to go to Charleston, SC today but I'll be back this afternoon and then we'll take the charger off, and see if the battery took the charge. (A 24 hour charge with the trickle charger.)

From now on, when I know I won't be using the camper for a while, I'll disconnect the cables.
Jim
Just remember that there are a LOT more electrons to stuff back into that battery than a car battery. Leave it on the charger for 3 days and check the water level every day.

Partially recharging it (24 hours from dead) will shorten the life of the battery as it still "counts" as a cycle, but it will die sooner. Batteries should always be completely recharged when the capacity drops to 50% (12 volts when rested for 12 hours) to avoid permanent capacity reduction.

Look at the graph to see how a "quick charge" makes it LOOK like the battery is full; but there is not enough deep seated electrons to give you the rated capacity (life).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Charge Chart.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	27487   Click image for larger version

Name:	battery voltage and capacity Curve.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	27488  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:00 AM   #15

Quote:

Jim

If you don't want to install a battery disconnect switch all you really need to do is disconnect the negative cable while the camper is not in use.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:37 AM   #16

Steve:

Thank you very much for the invitation. If I'm in town, I might take you up on your offer. I'm trying to plan a camping trip of my own around some doctors appointments and a couple of other commitments, but I really do appreciate your offer. I have a brand new camper I bought in Dec. and haven't tried it out yet, but I chomping at the bit to do so.

Once again, thank you for your kind offer.

Jim
Old 04-11-2013, 05:43 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Just remember that there are a LOT more electrons to stuff back into that battery than a car battery. Leave it on the charger for 3 days and check the water level every day.

Partially recharging it (24 hours from dead) will shorten the life of the battery as it still "counts" as a cycle, but it will die sooner. Batteries should always be completely recharged when the capacity drops to 50% (12 volts when rested for 12 hours) to avoid permanent capacity reduction.

Look at the graph to see how a "quick charge" makes it LOOK like the battery is full; but there is not enough deep seated electrons to give you the rated capacity (life).
Herk:
I followed your instructions and yesterday, when we took the trickle charger off, the battery read 12.83 on my friends meter. We took 3 measurements and they all read the same. (He said he always charges his motorcycle and lawn mower this way. He said to never use a quick charge as it heats the battery up too much. Trickle chargers are the best way to charge it up providing the water level is where it's supposed to be.)

I can't thank you enough for your help and good advice on this issue. I sincerely appreciate it. That chart was a big help. Hopefully, I'm all set.

Thanks again,
Jim