Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2014, 09:14 AM   #1

Dead battery

Hey guys, just brought home my "new to me" 2010 Sandstorm 203SLC toyhauler. This is my first camper and have no knowledge of camper stuff. It was just in for service and everything worked great according to the shop, now that it's home I tried to start up the on board generator and it sounds like the batteries are dead. My question is how I can get it started and once started will the generator recharge the batteries?
Brushhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 03:59 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushhog View Post
This is my first camper and have no knowledge of camper stuff. It was just in for service and everything worked great according to the shop, now that it's home I tried to start up the on board generator and it sounds like the batteries are dead. My question is how I can get it started and once started will the generator recharge the batteries?
A couple of thoughts come to mind. CAVEAT: I have only owned boats, pop-ups, and a-frames. None of these had a separate generator, so my knowledge of how things work on your camper is generic only.

1. Why didn't the tow vehicle charge the battery on the way home? Was the battery disconnected while work was being done, and never reconnected? Is the battery cut-off switch in the correct position?

2. To get the generator started, recharge the batteries using a battery charger, or use jumper cables.

3. If things are working correctly (switches could be left in the wrong position from the work performed, and there could be failures), the generator should recharge the batteries once running.

4. If the battery(ies) were completely discharged, they might not be recoverable. A place that sells batteries can run a check for you.

You will probably want to learn how your 12V system in your camper works - at least somewhat. Learning by buying replacement batteries is an expensive way to go.

just my thoughts
Fred W
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 05:48 PM   #3

I always take my 900amp jump box with me when I travel. Never fails that another camper needs a jump from someone leaving a door open or light on.

2014 Stealth Evo 2850 "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra Rock Crawler TRD 5.7 "Clifford"

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 10:42 AM   #4

Thanks guys, I got it started. I put a charger on one of the batteries and left it over night and got it fired up the next morning.

Do you guys recommend a solar charger or having my electrician buddy install an outlet to plug into while it sits unused in the driveway? And if I install a shore power outlet what size should it be?
Old 11-14-2014, 11:04 AM   #5

If all you are doing is looking to charge the batteries...suggest you just get a trickle charger like this one and use an outdoor extension cord to charge it up from the house power. Useful for your car batteries, cycles etc. as well.
I would be concerned about the condition of your batteries given that they were flat and are probably 4 years old. Suggest you take them down to the auto store and get them load tested before you go camping and get surprised. Link to a home load tester below as well.
Amazon.com: Deltran Battery Tender (021-0128) 1.25 Amp Battery Charger: Automotive

6 Volt/12 Volt Battery Load Tester
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 11:09 AM   #6
Site Team

I recommend a "Battery Tender" Will not over charge and can be run on a simple extension cord. I use these on every battery equipped thing I own that has occasional use. I have had a 7 yr old motorcycle battery that was always on a battery tender start a large bike. Do not get a trickle charger. search for Battery Tender brand.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 12:00 PM   #7

Didn't see where you mentioned how long you had it home before you tried to start the genie.

If it was more that a week, then the natural parasitic draws (CO alarm & others that are hard wired) will drain the battery(s). Keeping it plugged into the house will keep the battery(s) charged and ready for your next trip. Or, disconnect the battery(s) or install a battery disconnect.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 12:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
Didn't see where you mentioned how long you had it home before you tried to start the genie.

If it was more that a week, then the natural parasitic draws (CO alarm & others that are hard wired) will drain the battery(s). Keeping it plugged into the house will keep the battery(s) charged and ready for your next trip. Or, disconnect the battery(s) or install a battery disconnect.

Racer I had it home for a couple days but it sat at the shop after it was worked on for about a week, it has a disconnect switch that I turn off now. Thanks for the info guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2012 Toyota Tundra Crew Max TRD Off Road
2010 Sandstorm 203SLC
Old 11-14-2014, 12:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushhog View Post
Racer I had it home for a couple days but it sat at the shop after it was worked on for about a week, it has a disconnect switch that I turn off now. Thanks for the info guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2012 Toyota Tundra Crew Max TRD Off Road
2010 Sandstorm 203SLC

rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery