Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2011, 05:10 PM   #1

Dead engine battery

I have one quick question. How do you start the dang thing when the slides are out and the engine battery is dead. I have a general Motorhome book from Forest River but that doesn't tell me nuthin. I found out the slides seem to work off the engine batt. I charged the batt and everything was fine.
I thought there was a way to start the thing from the coach batterys.

Do I have a wiring problem, Or do I Just need the procedures to start the engine? Lemme see. That 3 questions... I think......
04 Class A GeorgeTown
Old 03-21-2011, 01:52 PM   #2

most coaches have a switch near or on the drivers seat that will allow the coach batteries to aid the engine battery for starting
rivercat49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olrusty View Post
I have one quick question. How do you start the dang thing when the slides are out and the engine battery is dead. I have a general Motorhome book from Forest River but that doesn't tell me nuthin. I found out the slides seem to work off the engine batt. I charged the batt and everything was fine.
I thought there was a way to start the thing from the coach batterys.

Do I have a wiring problem, Or do I Just need the procedures to start the engine? Lemme see. That 3 questions... I think......
04 Class A GeorgeTown
Well, we are TT owners and don't know a lot about Class A MH's, but it seems to me that your coach batteries are probably Deep Cycle batteries which might not like to provide the cranking amps required by an engine battery. Class A owners will likely chip in with better advice. Good Luck.

...VTX-AL
VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:05 AM   #4

In my Georgetown (2000), on the dash, top left, is a rocker switch which doesnt latch. If you push it and hold it you can start off the leisure batteries. Release it and it returns to the off position.

It makes sense for the slide to work off the engine side because if you're wild camping and you kill the leisure batteries you couldn't pull your slide in when you leave.

The dash switch got me out of a tricky spot when I deadened the engine battery with the radio and the reading lights over a week.
jimbo_hippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo_hippo View Post
In my Georgetown (2000), on the dash, top left, is a rocker switch which doesnt latch. If you push it and hold it you can start off the leisure batteries. Release it and it returns to the off position.

It makes sense for the slide to work off the engine side because if you're wild camping and you kill the leisure batteries you couldn't pull your slide in when you leave.

The dash switch got me out of a tricky spot when I deadened the engine battery with the radio and the reading lights over a week.
I found the rocker that says battery on the dash. Next to it is another one with a rectangle box with a z type line in it. watzat?
I also found loose wires going to the selonoid by the batterys. I haven't had the chance to check if It will fire with the coach battery's yet.
would it be ok to disconnect the engine battery and hit the rocker just to see if the power is being sent to the engine side?
Sorry for the slow response, but I'm blocked from getting to this site from work. It's funny tho, I can get to rv.net with no problem. anyone know why?

Tags
battery