Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2015, 09:39 PM   #21

I don't guess I need a surge protector to set in the driveway!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 09:43 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post

You never know. What if you have a power problem at home. Say low voltage or a spike. Could save you some $$$. I know we have problems here if the wind blows too hard or a squirrel pees on a transformer. Just saying.
olbob52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 09:59 PM   #23

Mine discovered an improperly wired outlet when I plugged it into a receptacle in the garage.
pjnlorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 10:09 PM   #24

Yeah, that's what I'm talkin' about!!! I thought about the price, but I got to weighing out the consequences of what could happen and the cost. To the point--it's ordered !!
Old 07-20-2015, 10:12 PM   #25
7 Year Class A RV'er

Progressive Industries, without a doubt. Check Amazon for best pricing.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 06:47 AM   #26

I made my order last night, so I need to check my delivery date today. We're headed out this weekend for our shakedown cruise in our Ultra V, and I wish I had it with us. Usually we get a one-week delivery with most orders, so I probably get it the Monday or Tuesday after the weekend. It will sure give me some peace of mind to know it's there. I have my electrical tester with me, so I can check things out this weekend. Thanks again to everyone for their input on this.
Old 07-21-2015, 12:38 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrowncods View Post
I'll pile on. I bought a new used 2015 Viking 17FQ and the dealer said a Surge Protector should be the number one upgrade you should get. We went one trip without one, and I was nervous. So Thursday I bought the EMS-HW30C from Amazon and installed it before our weekend outing. On day one we were playing cards and click, power went out. The Progressive went through its restart and gave the code PE4 (low volts). Don't know why, it just happened. About 2 hours later a thunderstorm came through and a lightening bolt hit - click. Restart and gave the PE8 code (low line frequency).
So first time out it protected twice. Cool. Neither of those conditions would have been protected against with just a surge protector. I can see that over the life of the unit it will save at least some wear and tear on the sensitive electronics from these "other" events.
One question I had is there is no code if the unit cut the power for a power surge. Am I guessing right that it would show high voltage as the same thing?
Yes it would show code E3.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 12:45 PM   #28

I just got my progressive 30 amp unit delivered today. Haven't used it but will every time out ! I am impressed with it, very well made. Also, has a code to cover just about everything I can think of going wrong.

I am hooked to a 20 amp ground fault at the house. Think I will put it in line and see what happens.

Jim
Old 07-21-2015, 12:46 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtool2 View Post
Got that right! Laptop alone is 2X. Now add converter, fridge, inverter, stereo, tv, camera batteries and the list goes on. It was time to bite the bullet.

I know I could have beat Amazons price but I took the 30 day free trial of Prime so no shipping and I had a gift card to use before it expired so made p the difference. Also ordered a pure sign wave 1000 watt inverter and 12 led bulbs and a thermostat.

THIS TRAILR IS GOING TO BREAK ME YET!!

Jim
HAH! Welcome to the RV Lifestyle Jim -- you have NO idea yet

Oh, by the way, in about 2-3 years after modding your rig out you will get this curious impulse to upgrade to a larger RV (Typical path is popup->travel trailer->5th Wheel and, in my case a even BIGGER 5th Wheel)
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 12:50 PM   #30

Quote:

Unless your house has a surge protector at power line in (very doubtful) you can still have power issues - brownouts (low voltage), blackouts, and of course surges and lightening strikes.

Even though we have a 50Amp dedicated circuit at our house and we *always* use the progressive in line to our 5er.
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 01:11 PM   #31
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by olbob52 View Post
Turbs, would you talk to my DW ?!?!?!?
Yep
Quote:
And mine too???

X2

Pm me there number I'll fill them in !
[emoji12] [emoji12] [emoji12] [emoji12] [emoji12] [emoji12]

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "15 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 01:12 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
HAH! Welcome to the RV Lifestyle Jim -- you have NO idea yet

Oh, by the way, in about 2-3 years after modding your rig out you will get this curious impulse to upgrade to a larger RV (Typical path is popup->travel trailer->5th Wheel and, in my case a even BIGGER 5th Wheel)
Oh yes I do ! Had two TT, rolled one with my Jeep. Then went to the 5er, and this is my second one of them. Sounds like we joined the same club, LOL! One thing I have learned, buy things you can take with you. This surge protector might be an exception. With my my next 5er, if there is one, might have 50 amp service making it useless.

Jim
Old 07-21-2015, 01:34 PM   #33

Show your DW some of the posts. Here is a state:

" Laptop alone is 2X. Now add converter, fridge, inverter, stereo, tv, camera batteries and the list goes on. It was time to bite the bullet."

Jim
Old 07-21-2015, 02:59 PM   #34

I just went out and plugged the surge protector into the 20 amp circuit with the GFI on it. I then plugged the trailer into the surge protector, after waiting a couple of minutes. The numbers on the digital display all keep running. Okay, went in trailer for about 15 minutes made sure everything was running and then came back out and looked at surge protector again. It is still flashing through all the numbers as if it is going through a constant test.

My question is, is this normal? I thought it would go to E0 and stop.

Jim
Old 07-21-2015, 03:05 PM   #35

Progressive Industries Portable Electrical Management Systems (EMS) site:

Each unit includes a digital display, SCROLLING CONTINUOUSLY through the power source information: voltage(s), current frequency, error code, and previous error code (if applicable). Additionally, the computer is driven by state of the art microprocessors.
Jim Schings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 03:46 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtool2 View Post
Show your DW some of the posts. Here is a state:

" Laptop alone is 2X. Now add converter, fridge, inverter, stereo, tv, camera batteries and the list goes on. It was time to bite the bullet."

Jim
I didn't show her the posts, but when I told her I had ordered it, she asked what it cost. I told her, and I could see the cringe on her face. Then I explained all the costs if there was a screw up, and that cringe disappeared real fast. She got the idea. I think it's real cheap insurance. Thanks Jim.
Old 07-21-2015, 03:58 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Schings View Post
Progressive Industries Portable Electrical Management Systems (EMS) site:

Each unit includes a digital display, SCROLLING CONTINUOUSLY through the power source information: voltage(s), current frequency, error code, and previous error code (if applicable). Additionally, the computer is driven by state of the art microprocessors.
Thank you. I guess it is working properly then. I thought it would do a test and then stop but I was wrong.

I am really surprised. I am hooked up to a 20 amp GFI and am running the AC so half expected it to come up with an error but it seems to be working just fine.

Jim
Old 07-21-2015, 04:01 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by olbob52 View Post
I didn't show her the posts, but when I told her I had ordered it, she asked what it cost. I told her, and I could see the cringe on her face. Then I explained all the costs if there was a screw up, and that cringe disappeared real fast. She got the idea. I think it's real cheap insurance. Thanks Jim.
I agree about cheap insurance. I don't need any more problems besides the ones I have.

Jim
Old 07-21-2015, 04:26 PM   #39

Here is a tale any wife will hear and quickly approve of your (expensive) purchase.
My father, who was sometimes so tight that he squeaked when he walked, read all the info good/bad about surge protection learned this the HARD way several years ago.
Dad attended church about 40 miles from home and decided that staying at church after morning services until evening services in his MH was better than driving. So he paid a "handyman" who attended church with him to wire an outlet at the back of the building. 50 amp, no less!
Well......The first time he plugged in he was met with disaster. His new Newmar Dutch Star DP had a long list of fried electronics. Televisions, microwave, converter, inventor, transfer switch to name a few. After the diagnosis, before buying all new electronics, he purchased a PI EMS. Said, why did I wait so long?
Don't lament the price of good protection. Buy the best and you will not regret it.

I Catch Fish......What is your SuperPower?
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 10:29 PM   #40

So if I wanted a hard wired surge protector but don't feel competent to wire it myself, is that something that I would have an electrician do, or a dealer or a mobile RV guy or who? Thanks guys.

Marcusfan