Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2015, 08:17 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
Great idea!

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "15 nights"
thx, discovered power supply wire in wall when I did this mod. Don't have a completed pic with cord running through a grommet and face painted black. I re-positioned the door catch so I can just close the door when not in use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	heater02.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	294.5 KB
ID:	83855   Click image for larger version

Name:	heater01.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	296.0 KB
ID:	83856   Click image for larger version

Name:	heater03.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	296.7 KB
ID:	83857  
Old 07-23-2015, 08:20 AM   #62

sorry to get off topic
craig
Old 07-25-2015, 09:15 PM   #63

This is a great post. Thanks everyone for your input. I have a Sunseeker 3170 DSF and I use progressive. I found today online the Hughes 30 amp auto former. Looks interesting. Does anybody have any experience/thoughts on that?
Yamaharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 09:46 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaharley View Post
This is a great post. Thanks everyone for your input. I have a Sunseeker 3170 DSF and I use progressive. I found today online the Hughes 30 amp auto former. Looks interesting. Does anybody have any experience/thoughts on that?
There was somewhat of a heated discussion on Franks autoformer. Here is the link
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ers-26202.html
crunchman
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 10:07 PM   #65

Thanks curnchman. Old post but good information. I think I am just comfortable with my Progressive EMS. If it shuts thing down then I know it may be time to conserve or go to the generator. Amazing we still call this camping!
Yamaharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 06:34 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaharley View Post
Thanks curnchman. Old post but good information. I think I am just comfortable with my Progressive EMS. If it shuts thing down then I know it may be time to conserve or go to the generator. Amazing we still call this camping!
No problem, there is no reason to rough it if you don't have to.
Welcome to the forum from Bainbridge, Ohio.
crunchman
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 02:51 PM   #67

Hey, Y'all. Just got back from our shakedown cruise in the new trailer. I want to thank everyone for their input on the Progressive EMS. As far as I'm concerned, this thing paid for itself the first trip. No, we didn't have a problem with the power pole, but getting to see how many amps we were pulling at any given moment was great. We cannot run the AC and microwave at the same time because the microwave pulls WAY more amps than the manual says. We got shut down one time, but after we realized what happened and everything reset, we never had another problem. I very highly recommend the Progressive. By the way, I went with the portable unit, because that works best for my situation, but whatever you do, if you don't have one, get one. The peace of mind is worth every penny. Progressive, you get 5 stars from me.
olbob52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 08:19 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by olbob52 View Post
Hey, Y'all. Just got back from our shakedown cruise in the new trailer. I want to thank everyone for their input on the Progressive EMS. As far as I'm concerned, this thing paid for itself the first trip. No, we didn't have a problem with the power pole, but getting to see how many amps we were pulling at any given moment was great. We cannot run the AC and microwave at the same time because the microwave pulls WAY more amps than the manual says. We got shut down one time, but after we realized what happened and everything reset, we never had another problem. I very highly recommend the Progressive. By the way, I went with the portable unit, because that works best for my situation, but whatever you do, if you don't have one, get one. The peace of mind is worth every penny. Progressive, you get 5 stars from me.
I am glad to hear you had a good shake down cruise! It is always nice to hear about good experiences instead of all the problems some have.

I upgraded to a 32 foot 08 5er earlier this year. I hoped to have it out by now but due to medical reasons have not been able to get it out. I am now hoping to get out the beginning of September. If all goes well I will head for SC the middle of September.

I started this thread because of all the problems everyone wrote in about all the power problems they have had. I also went with the Progressive portable EMS unit. Portable or permanent mount, I don't think it matters. The important thing is you have the protection! You would think manufactures would at least make it an option. Don't understand why they don't.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 08:44 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
I don't guess I need a surge protector to set in the driveway!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
When I first installed my PI EMS and plugged it into my garage outlet, it gave me an E2 error and wouldn't allow power. Finally inspected the outlet and found a missing ground. Don't know if anything would have been damaged if I had plugged in without the EMS, but it definitely was a safety issue.
About two weeks ago I added an extension cord to my camper cord and again plugged into the same outlet and the EMS threw a E1 error (reverse polarity). Using a different cord cleared the error and allowed power.
So the PI EMS potentially saved me twice plugged in at home.
PI hardwired EMC, Wire Shelving in wardrobe
Plexiglass screen door protector, Blue LED Wine nook
stairs, and counting...
karrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 09:07 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by karrun View Post
When I first installed my PI EMS and plugged it into my garage outlet, it gave me an E2 error and wouldn't allow power. Finally inspected the outlet and found a missing ground. Don't know if anything would have been damaged if I had plugged in without the EMS, but it definitely was a safety issue.
About two weeks ago I added an extension cord to my camper cord and again plugged into the same outlet and the EMS threw a E1 error (reverse polarity). Using a different cord cleared the error and allowed power.
So the PI EMS potentially saved me twice plugged in at home.
These are great examples of what can happen, even sitting in our own driveway! Many of us are second or even third owners of a house. I worked twenty years as an industrial electrician and twenty-two years as a building engine-rear and probably wound not have tested that outlet for a ground, and would not have expected reverse polarity on an extension cord. You never know.

Was it a home made cord or a factory cord?

Jim
Old 07-28-2015, 09:31 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtool2 View Post
These are great examples of what can happen, even sitting in our own driveway! Many of us are second or even third owners of a house. I worked twenty years as an industrial electrician and twenty-two years as a building engine-rear and probably wound not have tested that outlet for a ground, and would not have expected reverse polarity on an extension cord. You never know.

Was it a home made cord or a factory cord?

Jim
Home made Jim Tried to save a few bucks and make one myself. Used it for many years with no issues, but maybe just got lucky. I just bought a new Camco one off Amazon.
stairs, and counting...
Old 07-29-2015, 06:58 AM   #72

Quote:
Home made Jim Tried to save a few bucks and make one myself. Used it for many years with no issues, but maybe just got lucky. I just bought a new Camco one off Amazon.
Normal tools, no problem. Electronics you never no. Intill the last few years I always made my own.

All you had to do was reverse two wires on one plug and the problem would have been fixed.

Jim
Old 07-29-2015, 07:59 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtool2 View Post
Normal tools, no problem. Electronics you never no. Intill the last few years I always made my own.

All you had to do was reverse two wires on one plug and the problem would have been fixed.

Jim
Well I still have it. Was going to buy new heavy duty male and female plugs and redo it. May still do it and keep it for use around the house.
stairs, and counting...
Old 07-29-2015, 09:54 PM   #74

Quote:
Well I still have it. Was going to buy new heavy duty male and female plugs and redo it. May still do it and keep it for use around the house.
Well. now you know what to do to fix it.

Jim
Old 07-29-2015, 11:10 PM   #75

If you rewire the plug just make sure the black(hot) wire goes to the gold colored screw on both the male and female ends of plugs. Then the white(neutral) wire goes to the silver screw on both the male and female ends. Ground to the green screw on both ends and all should be fine.

2012 F150 FX4 Crew 5.0
2012 Coachman Freedom Express 292BHDS (outdoor Kitchen)
Scubanut is offline   Reply With Quote