TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "15 nights"

Old 07-21-2015, 02:12 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
HAH! Welcome to the RV Lifestyle Jim -- you have NO idea yet

Oh, by the way, in about 2-3 years after modding your rig out you will get this curious impulse to upgrade to a larger RV (Typical path is popup->travel trailer->5th Wheel and, in my case a even BIGGER 5th Wheel)
Oh yes I do ! Had two TT, rolled one with my Jeep. Then went to the 5er, and this is my second one of them. Sounds like we joined the same club, LOL! One thing I have learned, buy things you can take with you. This surge protector might be an exception. With my my next 5er, if there is one, might have 50 amp service making it useless.

Jim

oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 02:34 PM   #33

Show your DW some of the posts. Here is a state:

" Laptop alone is 2X. Now add converter, fridge, inverter, stereo, tv, camera batteries and the list goes on. It was time to bite the bullet."

Jim
Old 07-21-2015, 03:59 PM   #34

I just went out and plugged the surge protector into the 20 amp circuit with the GFI on it. I then plugged the trailer into the surge protector, after waiting a couple of minutes. The numbers on the digital display all keep running. Okay, went in trailer for about 15 minutes made sure everything was running and then came back out and looked at surge protector again. It is still flashing through all the numbers as if it is going through a constant test.

My question is, is this normal? I thought it would go to E0 and stop.

Jim
Old 07-21-2015, 04:05 PM   #35

Progressive Industries Portable Electrical Management Systems (EMS) site:

Each unit includes a digital display, SCROLLING CONTINUOUSLY through the power source information: voltage(s), current frequency, error code, and previous error code (if applicable). Additionally, the computer is driven by state of the art microprocessors.
Old 07-21-2015, 04:46 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtool2 View Post
Show your DW some of the posts. Here is a state:

" Laptop alone is 2X. Now add converter, fridge, inverter, stereo, tv, camera batteries and the list goes on. It was time to bite the bullet."

Jim
I didn't show her the posts, but when I told her I had ordered it, she asked what it cost. I told her, and I could see the cringe on her face. Then I explained all the costs if there was a screw up, and that cringe disappeared real fast. She got the idea. I think it's real cheap insurance. Thanks Jim.
Old 07-21-2015, 04:58 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Schings View Post
Progressive Industries Portable Electrical Management Systems (EMS) site:

Each unit includes a digital display, SCROLLING CONTINUOUSLY through the power source information: voltage(s), current frequency, error code, and previous error code (if applicable). Additionally, the computer is driven by state of the art microprocessors.
Thank you. I guess it is working properly then. I thought it would do a test and then stop but I was wrong.

I am really surprised. I am hooked up to a 20 amp GFI and am running the AC so half expected it to come up with an error but it seems to be working just fine.

Jim
Old 07-21-2015, 05:01 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by olbob52 View Post
I didn't show her the posts, but when I told her I had ordered it, she asked what it cost. I told her, and I could see the cringe on her face. Then I explained all the costs if there was a screw up, and that cringe disappeared real fast. She got the idea. I think it's real cheap insurance. Thanks Jim.
I agree about cheap insurance. I don't need any more problems besides the ones I have.

Jim
Old 07-21-2015, 05:26 PM   #39

Here is a tale any wife will hear and quickly approve of your (expensive) purchase.
My father, who was sometimes so tight that he squeaked when he walked, read all the info good/bad about surge protection learned this the HARD way several years ago.
Dad attended church about 40 miles from home and decided that staying at church after morning services until evening services in his MH was better than driving. So he paid a "handyman" who attended church with him to wire an outlet at the back of the building. 50 amp, no less!
Well......The first time he plugged in he was met with disaster. His new Newmar Dutch Star DP had a long list of fried electronics. Televisions, microwave, converter, inventor, transfer switch to name a few. After the diagnosis, before buying all new electronics, he purchased a PI EMS. Said, why did I wait so long?
Don't lament the price of good protection. Buy the best and you will not regret it.
Old 07-21-2015, 11:29 PM   #40

So if I wanted a hard wired surge protector but don't feel competent to wire it myself, is that something that I would have an electrician do, or a dealer or a mobile RV guy or who? Thanks guys.

Marcusfan