Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2015, 03:06 PM   #1

decent 30 amp surge protector

I have gotten a headache looking at all of them. Some are just testers but they don't say that. Want a simple one that monitors voltage high and low, and shuts off when it gets out of range. Auto reset would be nice, in fact required. Might not be home when it trips.

Any one that is reasonably priced instead of $300.00?

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 03:11 PM   #2

Jim,

In this arena you do get what you pay for. Progressive Industries Power Management System is what just about everyone on the forums has. Customer service is outstanding and the device will protect your unit saving you potentially $1,000s of repair bills

Amazon.com: Progressive Industries PT30C 30 Amp Portable Electrical Management System: Automotive

Or you could opt to install permanently (and save a few shekels )
Amazon.com: Progressive Industries HW30C 30 Amp Hardwired Electrical Management System with Remote Display: Automotive
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 04:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
Jim,

In this arena you do get what you pay for. Progressive Industries Power Management System is what just about everyone on the forums has. Customer service is outstanding and the device will protect your unit saving you potentially $1,000s of repair bills

Amazon.com: Progressive Industries PT30C 30 Amp Portable Electrical Management System: Automotive
Bob,

This is one I looked at but the price scared me off. Have seen similar units at 1/3 the price but have no way of knowing the quality. I asked a couple of questions to the seller but couldn't seem to get a straight answer from them. That is why I decided to ask here.

Thanks for the quick answer. Looks like that's what I am going to order.

Jim
Old 07-19-2015, 04:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtool2 View Post
Bob,

This is one I looked at but the price scared me off. Have seen similar units at 1/3 the price but have no way of knowing the quality. I asked a couple of questions to the seller but couldn't seem to get a straight answer from them. That is why I decided to ask here.

Jim
So what unit you are looking at beside progressive?
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 05:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzie View Post
So what unit you are looking at beside progressive?
http://www.amazon.com/Trailer-Camper...3FC12EHQ1BMD7N

http://www.amazon.com/Surge-Guard-Po...3FC12EHQ1BMD7N

http://www.amazon.com/Surge-Guard-Pr...3FC12EHQ1BMD7N

Amazon.com: RV Trailer Camper Surge Guard Surge Protector Portable 30A Ground 44750: Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com: RV Trailer Camper Surge Guard Surge Protector Portable 30A Ground 44750: Sports & Outdoors

These are just a few.

Jim
Old 07-19-2015, 05:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Bob,

Jim
This is where I bought my progressive EMS-PT30C $227.00
EMS-PT30C 30 Amp Portable EMS
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 05:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Bob,

Jim
You have chosen wisely Jim

Yeah it is a OUCH but it is a bigger ouch if your rigs electrics get fried

Progressive rocks!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 06:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
You have chosen wisely Jim

Yeah it is a OUCH but it is a bigger ouch if your rigs electrics get fried

Progressive rocks!
Got that right! Laptop alone is 2X. Now add converter, fridge, inverter, stereo, tv, camera batteries and the list goes on. It was time to bite the bullet.

I know I could have beat Amazons price but I took the 30 day free trial of Prime so no shipping and I had a gift card to use before it expired so made p the difference. Also ordered a pure sign wave 1000 watt inverter and 12 led bulbs and a thermostat.

THIS TRAILR IS GOING TO BREAK ME YET!!

Jim
Old 07-19-2015, 06:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Got that right! Laptop alone is 2X. Now add converter, fridge, inverter, stereo, tv, camera batteries and the list goes on. It was time to bite the bullet.

I know I could have beat Amazons price but I took the 30 day free trial of Prime so no shipping and I had a gift card to use before it expired so made p the difference. Also ordered a pure sign wave 1000 watt inverter and 12 led bulbs and a thermostat.

THIS TRAILR IS GOING TO BREAK ME YET!!

Jim
Welcome to the RV lifestyle........

What I am using, it has done a fine job in my book.

Old 07-19-2015, 06:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
Welcome to the RV lifestyle........

What I am using, it has done a fine job in my book.

And I hope it always does. Looked at it but wanted something portable.

Jim
Old 07-19-2015, 06:46 PM   #11

Quote:
And I hope it always does. Looked at it but wanted something portable.

Jim
Ummm, it is portable.

One end plugs into the power outlet trailer plugs into the other end.

I chain it down so it is less likely to walk off.
Old 07-19-2015, 06:53 PM   #12

We installed the Progressive Industries EMS-LCHW30 in our popup after a surge in a CG damaged our converter. In the years following the install it cut power twice while connected (low voltage) and indicated improperly wired power posts a couple of other times. We traveled 4-6 weeks each year for 5 years so the unit saw dozens if not hundreds of different connections. When we bought our Vibe last year a EMS-HW30C was the first purchase I made. They are easy to install, customer support is very good, the design is modular and others have shared that PI will help you troubleshoot a unit and sell you components as needed.
The readout, while not intended as a precision monitoring system, is wonderful. It displays voltage, amperage (which is very useful in monitoring the various systems in the camper), and frequency. The unit also delays reconnecting after a fault to prevent damage to air conditioners. I have no association with PI, purchased the first based on recommendations found on numerous forums and the units have not disappointed.
pjnlorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 07:26 PM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

oldtool2, The Progressive Industries PT30C 30 Amp would be a good choice because it's a lifetime warranty that's made in the USA. Another good choice is the TRC 30 Amp Surge Guard Md. 34830. The TRC has a limited warranty but is cheaper and does the about the same job.
Both models protect you against too high and low voltages, bad pedestal wiring, and restarts in 2 min 15 seconds after the problem corrects itself.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 08:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by elind View Post
oldtool2, The Progressive Industries PT30C 30 Amp would be a good choice because it's a lifetime warranty that's made in the USA. Another good choice is the TRC 30 Amp Surge Guard Md. 34830. The TRC has a limited warranty but is cheaper and does the about the same job.
Both models protect you against too high and low voltages, bad pedestal wiring, and restarts in 2 min 15 seconds after the problem corrects itself.
The Progressive Industries PT30C 30 Amp would be a good choice because it's a lifetime warranty that's made in the USA. This was the deciding factors for me. It will be nice to have something made here for a change.

Jim
Old 07-20-2015, 05:23 PM   #15

I'll pile on. I bought a new used 2015 Viking 17FQ and the dealer said a Surge Protector should be the number one upgrade you should get. We went one trip without one, and I was nervous. So Thursday I bought the EMS-HW30C from Amazon and installed it before our weekend outing. On day one we were playing cards and click, power went out. The Progressive went through its restart and gave the code PE4 (low volts). Don't know why, it just happened. About 2 hours later a thunderstorm came through and a lightening bolt hit - click. Restart and gave the PE8 code (low line frequency).
So first time out it protected twice. Cool. Neither of those conditions would have been protected against with just a surge protector. I can see that over the life of the unit it will save at least some wear and tear on the sensitive electronics from these "other" events.
One question I had is there is no code if the unit cut the power for a power surge. Am I guessing right that it would show high voltage as the same thing?
Old 07-20-2015, 06:27 PM   #16

I did the research and the Progressive is the way to go. Save he from damage in an electrical storm. Lifetime warranty. I had loose prongs and it was replaced no problem. I got mine at Tweety's.
robbdrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 09:15 PM   #17

Just read all the posts here and decided to order the Progressive Industries EMS. With a brand new trailer, I don't want any problems. I've been wanting to get one of these anyway. Thanks to all of you for your posts and your info. It is greatly appreciated. Take care all, and travel safe.
olbob52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 09:16 PM   #18
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by olbob52 View Post
Just read all the posts here and decided to order the Progressive Industries EMS. With a brand new trailer, I don't want any problems. I've been wanting to get one of these anyway. Thanks to all of you for your posts and your info. It is greatly appreciated. Take care all, and travel safe.
Smart man!

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "15 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 09:26 PM   #19

Turbs, would you talk to my DW ?!?!?!?
olbob52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 09:38 PM   #20

And mine too???

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums