Old 04-20-2015, 05:25 PM   #11

On an 2002 Coleman TT, I had a 15000 BTU AC. The book said I would need a 5500 watt generator to kick it over. I found that there was a Hard Start Kit for the generator. It was a capacitor that I installed myself.

So, I would inquire if your AC has such an upgrade. The kit only cost about $30. Today, maybe such a kit would cost $50. Talk with service at RV Parts and Accessories for Sale - PPL Motor Homes They mailed mine to me.

I successfully was able to run the AC with a Honda 3000 genny. Easily started the AC with the kit installed.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:53 AM   #12

Yamaha 2400 Owner

Well I think most of the generators are great and was going to buy a Honda 2000 but decided to go with the Yamaha 2400. This generator has ran through 7 summers without a hitch, camping in August and running the air without a problem. It uses very little gas considering how hard I use it, maybe 6 or 7 gallons for the week. Starts first pull nearly every time. It weighs more than the Honda 2000 but less than the Honda 3000 I looked at. I do think the 2400 is the smallest generator you should buy, bigger is better. If you can afford the Honda 3000 go for it! Rick

Old 04-28-2015, 11:01 PM   #13

I ended up purchasing a 3100 with remote start for 840.00. In the end I could not justify the cost of the Hondas and was scared the 2400 just wasn't gonna be enough. Again the times I will use this thing will be very limited. I'll report back after I put some miles on it. Now I am trying to find a way to secure it in the back of the truck bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 04-29-2015, 05:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickiedooFlagman View Post
On an 2002 Coleman TT, I had a 15000 BTU AC. The book said I would need a 5500 watt generator to kick it over. I found that there was a Hard Start Kit for the generator. It was a capacitor that I installed myself.

So, I would inquire if your AC has such an upgrade. The kit only cost about $30. Today, maybe such a kit would cost $50. Talk with service at RV Parts and Accessories for Sale - PPL Motor Homes They mailed mine to me.

I successfully was able to run the AC with a Honda 3000 genny. Easily started the AC with the kit installed.
A correction: The hard start kit was for the Air Conditioner, NOT the generator. I purchased the hard start kit 12 years ago from PPL Motorhomes in Texas.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:36 PM   #15

Update: So after the required break in period of my Champion 3100 I ran my 15 btu off it and it ran like a champ!!!! We shall see what the longevity of it is now. I'll keep you guys updated.
Old 05-17-2015, 01:37 PM   #16

After doing some research I decided to get the Honda 3000is and love it. Its main use will be for the AC when shore power is not available. The dealer carried the Honda, Yamaha and Champion. He recommended the Honda because they have been making them longer than the others and he has never gotten a complaint about one.

They had a chart on the wall and this is the size recommended for a 13.5 AC. He had another good point. You don't realize everything that is running in the background such as a coffee pot, alarm clock, TV, ectra.... It adds up quick.

Jim

Tags
generator