Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2017, 03:00 PM   #21
Site Team

I found a few wiring diagrams by going to the Eaton site and searching for mbe48b200bts. I couldn't find one with the extra service disconnect, but the rest of the diagram is correct.
Old 10-09-2017, 03:05 PM   #22

I don't know how to post the diagram I have in my catalog but that panel is indeed capable of accommodating 8-poles of branch breakers in addition to the 200 amp feed through lugs. If the existing 30 amp breakers you listed in the original post are a 2-pole common trip used for a 240 volt circuit like for an AC unit etc., then a replacement breaker is available that would combine that 2-pole with a 2-pole 50Amp for your RV set up. The catalog number for that is BQC230250. You could also replace the 20 amp 1-pole with a combination unit with a 2-pole 50 amp common trip for the RV and 2 1-pole outer poles. The catalog number for that would be BQC2502120. This would leave you with a spare 20 amp 1-pole.
WY Husker Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 05:19 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
I found a few wiring diagrams by going to the Eaton site and searching for mbe48b200bts. I couldn't find one with the extra service disconnect, but the rest of the diagram is correct.

Thank you, Bama Rambler, I found site and diagrams also. The specific diagram may be in the Cutler-Hammer site archives.

Thank you for looking.

As a novice Glamper, it still applies.
RobertDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 06:07 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by WY Husker Fan View Post
I don't know how to post the diagram I have in my catalog but that panel is indeed capable of accommodating 8-poles of branch breakers in addition to the 200 amp feed through lugs. If the existing 30 amp breakers you listed in the original post are a 2-pole common trip used for a 240 volt circuit like for an AC unit etc., then a replacement breaker is available that would combine that 2-pole with a 2-pole 50 Amp for your RV set up. The catalog number for that is BQC230250. You could also replace the 20 amp 1-pole with a combination unit with a 2-pole 50 amp common trip for the RV and 2 1-pole outer poles. The catalog number for that would be BQC2502120. This would leave you with a spare 20 amp 1-pole.

This is a four space (slot) eight pole panel all right. All of the breakers are 120 v. I thought of going to town and looking for two pole breakers but the response that I have gotten locally is “I can order them for you.”

I certainly do not blame the local shop owners, inventory is pricey when you don’t move it often. Plus, I should have planned this six months ago but who knew the DW was going to surprise me three months ago with, “We need a fifth wheel! Stop here.” on the way back from camping with a rarely used pop up. Then, “We won’t know the road conditions when you want to come back in late February or early March so let’s park it here under a cover until we get back.”

All perfectly logical, but she just switched tracks about four times on the way to S. Arizona to house sit for six months.

I am going with pulling one single pole 30 amp circuit. Installing one two pole 50 amp which will get me power for when we come back. I will then explain what, why and what now to the DW when we return.

I definitely will not use the Service Disconnect circuit even though I know it would be convenient. I am sure I am going to have to redo this next spring.

I am sure this is not wrong.

I am sure your plan is a better one but I have all these parts, now. I am here, now.

What threw me was the well circuit. I was looking for a short cut but I know that it has a better purpose and I am sure a well is in our future here. To me, it is a dedicated circuit. I wanted this to be a three week leisurely catch up my projects trip.

I will copy and save your message with the part numbers for future reference.

DW announced she would like to be out of here by Thursday. She may make it. I may not. This is not my only project this trip and I bought parts...

Parts is parts unless you install then then they become a finished project.

Thanks again.

Old 10-09-2017, 06:10 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by WY Husker Fan View Post
I don't know how to post the diagram I have in my catalog but that panel is indeed capable of accommodating 8-poles of branch breakers in addition to the 200 amp feed through lugs.

I meant to add. I would scan the page or take a picture of the diagram in a book to send in a case like this.

Old 10-09-2017, 06:41 PM   #26

A buddy of mine just bought an r-pod and I was at his house checking it out when I noticed he had a 30 amp RV outlet in his garage. He said it was there when he got the house and never used it before. I was interested so we traced it back to his panel. The run was clearly installed after the house was built, as it was done with external conduit along the side of the attached garage. It started with a dedicated 30A GFCI breaker installed like all the other breakers, with a shared common/ground (the house was apparently built in the early 80's). The conduit went through the wall and into the garage and terminated at an external box with a 30A RV outlet. I'm not an electrician but I do know the basics, all the materials used and the way they were installed appeared to be in code, but my question is if this is adequate or is a sub-panel required?
It seemed to work fine, just curious if I could get a similar installation.
Thanks!
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 08:55 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBo View Post
A buddy of mine just bought an r-pod and I was at his house checking it out when I noticed he had a 30 amp RV outlet in his garage. He said it was there when he got the house and never used it before. I was interested so we traced it back to his panel. The run was clearly installed after the house was built, as it was done with external conduit along the side of the attached garage. It started with a dedicated 30A GFCI breaker installed like all the other breakers, with a shared common/ground (the house was apparently built in the early 80's). The conduit went through the wall and into the garage and terminated at an external box with a 30A RV outlet. I'm not an electrician but I do know the basics, all the materials used and the way they were installed appeared to be in code, but my question is if this is adequate or is a sub-panel required?

Thanks!

Good questions, maybe one of the experts will jump in.

Could I ask if the R-Pod had a GCFI breaker and wonder if that would be a problem coming off a GCFI breaker. I certainly do not know the answer but strongly suspect it would.

Old 10-10-2017, 05:37 AM   #28

"I am going with pulling one single pole 30 amp circuit. Installing one two pole 50 amp which will get me power for when we come back. I will then explain what, why and what now to the DW when we return."

You do realize the 50 amp requires an additional wire and heavier guage, right?
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:43 AM   #29
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBo View Post
Thanks!
Running a dedicated circuit from the house main panel is fine as long as the main panel is rated high enough to handle it (and most are), and you size the wire for the voltage drop. A sub panel isn't required, unless you also want to add other circuits to the drop.
Old 10-10-2017, 03:20 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
"I am going with pulling one single pole 30 amp circuit. Installing one two pole 50 amp which will get me power for when we come back. I will then explain what, why and what now to the DW when we return."

You do realize the 50 amp requires an additional wire and heavier guage, right?
Heavier gauge, heavier than the #4 Copper I stated I was using.

Um, , the wire load charts indicate that my use of #4 Copper wire for the 82 ft, Green, Red, Black and White is necessary. The local electrician thinks I can get by with #6. Wonder if he would back his economy vs my margin of safety?

I am sorry. I am in a really snarky mood right now caused by wrestling four #4 wires into an RV box after connecting them to the receptacle. I want to cut them 2.5 inches shorter but know if I over estimate, I can’t grow ANY back.

This has been a long project, much discussion here, with vendors who push a product, a well meaning local electrician, and finally about a two hour long conversation with an electrician that I trust (who was on an European tour until last night).

I can see the end of the project. It is threatening snow in two days and I have lots to do still.

BTW: The panel I am working in (see picture before) was installed by a local company, inspected by the county and passed inspection in 2008. When I sent the picture of the top of the box showing the Service Disconnect/well circuit, I mentioned that I thought it was not part of the 200 amp “protected” circuit.

It is not protected.

I understand they are common in Wyoming but my electrician says to stay totally away from it. It might be safe if power is turned off at the transformer or the power company pulls the meter or as an electrician with the right equipment and knowledge was working on it. Not for me.

Again, if I appear to be snarky...
Old 10-10-2017, 05:00 PM   #31

We are sitting in our 5er drinking coffee. The project is done. [emoji736]

Old 10-10-2017, 06:19 PM   #32

4 guage is great. You mentioned you were putting in 30 amp, later upgrading to 50 amp. I was just pointing out that 50 required heavier guage than 30, plus the fourth wire.

Enjoy the coffee.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:33 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
4 guage is great. You mentioned you were putting in 30 amp, later upgrading to 50 amp. I was just pointing out that 50 required heavier guage than 30, plus the fourth wire.

Enjoy the coffee.
Putting??? If I said that, I meant pulling. LOL, I can type 105 WPM with near 100% accuracy on my computer at the Stick and Brick.

Do you think I can get more than 5 WPM on my tablet?Worse on the phone. Plus thinking near that speed any more. By the time I get done, I forget to spell check.