Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2011, 07:56 AM   #1

deep cycle battery charger

I have a question about deep cycle battery chargers. Trying to verify if mine is working before I run out and purchase a new one. Recently purchased a new deep cycle battery and used it for one week while also connected to shore power. I am not sure if my converter was charging the battery during that time so I left the trailer in storage 250 miles away and brought the battery home with me. I have a 10 amp deep cycle battery charger, but when I hook it up to the battery the meter does not move, it stays right where it started on "0". I suspect it is not working but just wanted to check before buying another. Thanks in advance.
Mark55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:04 AM   #2

It's possible the battery is already fully charged. Automatic chargers will only show current if the battery needs it. Measure the voltage of the battery with a digital volt meter. If you get around 12.7v, then it's fully charged. You might see voltage a little higher than that if it just came off the charger.
dlhoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:22 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I agree that you will do best to check with a multi-meter first. Mostly to make sure the battery wasn't discharged too much.

Some chargers will not try to charge if the battery is dead.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:02 PM   #4

I have a new Black & Decker battery charger. This charger is almost too smart. It appears that if the battery is too low, my new battery charger will not even attempt to charge it (throws an error code).

When that happens, I hook my old 10amp charger to the battery; charge it for a few hours then hook up the "smart" battery charger and finish it off.

If you get a new charger, don't get rid of your old one.
MikeInColo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery