Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2011, 07:05 PM   #1

Defective Parallax Converter

This post is just an FYI for those out there that may experience this problem. My trailer has a Parallax Model 555 Power Unit. The DC portion, which is replaceable as an individual unit is a Model 555R.

On a recent trip to my trailer, which is located on the Gulf Coast about 120 miles from my home, I noticed that my battery was low. After checking the voltage, with shore power connected, it was only 12.6V. So I began troubleshooting the problem and concluded it was the converter. I disconnected the battery, removed all other DC load and checked the voltage at the converter panel and it was the same. I contacted Parallax Tech Support to get confirmation and in fact it was defective. He had me check the voltage to see if it increased as I turned on lights. It did, actually increasing to 13.4V with several lights on. The unit has a two year warranty from date of purchase but of course that had expired.

So I began pricing units on the Internet and locally. The best price locally was $292. I found a unit online for $210 but after some research and finding terrible comments from previous customers, decided not order from them. I then found it at Master Tech Inc. for $225 + shipping so I ordered it. Have not received it yet but when I do and get it installed, I will update this thread. Just a word of caution, if you are going to order a replacement part for your trailer on the Internet and it's not from someone you have done business with before, check them out first.

On another forum, a person suggested to replace the Parallax with a converter from Progressive Dynamics or Iota Engineering. I checked out this option but neither company manufacturers an exact replacement for the 555R. They do make one for some of the other Parallax models. If you really wanted to do so, you could order one of their converters and install it in another location and wire back to the Parallax power unit. I decided I didn't really want to do that. I might, if I lose another Parallax.

2007.5 Dodge 3500 Laramie, 4WD, Dually, 6,7L Diesel
2008 Forest River Sandpiper 375QBQ
dd5087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:18 PM   #2

Good stuff to know...keep us posted!
alohanole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:51 AM   #3

Finally got down to the trailer and replaced the converter. This was a whole lot easier than I was expecting. It was just a matter of disconnecting and reconnecting five wires and moving the fuse panel strip to the new converter which can be accomplished with all the wires connected. Obviously I removed all the AC power and disconnected the battery prior to doing this. The new converter is working like a charm. I am back in business. I learned a hard lesson during this process. I had decided to leave the converter turned off and the battery disconnected when I was last at the trailer. I did this because I didn't want the converter to cause any other problems until I could get back down there. I reasoned that since I had shore power, the fridge would operate okay, but that was not the case. Evidently the fridge still needs the 12v supply to operate. I had a mess cleaning up the mold inside the fridge. Luckily I didn't have any significant amount of food in there. After I replaced the converter and got everything turned back on, the fridge was fine.

2007.5 Dodge 3500 Laramie, 4WD, Dually, 6,7L Diesel
2008 Forest River Sandpiper 375QBQ
dd5087 is offline   Reply With Quote