Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2014, 10:09 PM   #21
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKnight View Post

Cool, mine is a 50A rv, what got me wondering is if I had to adapt to 30A service, would the 50A protector flip out over the "missing" leg or would it be ok since it's running through an adapter.
It'll work & be fine

Old 03-25-2014, 10:33 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post

Ps. Im getting the hardwired 50amp Progressive, here in the next month

MillerTime- Future Sabre Handler!!
Sweet! Let me know where you place it. I'm considering that route, maybe behind one of the panels in the basement. I pulled one panel just to see how things were laid out, there's so much wasted space it's almost appalling!

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:48 PM   #23

I ordered the PI 50 amp hard wired electrical management system today from this place http://www.makariosrv.com/surge-prot...er-protection/

Over $50 less expensive than Camping World and only $16 shipping to Las Vegas where I will have a colleague take delivery while attending a conference.

They do other brands of electrical system protection but from what I hear, PI is amongst the best and carries a lifetime warranty.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:14 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
.....there's so much wasted space it's almost appalling!

To hijack my own thread, that's one thing I was a little disappointed with in my TT. I remember the trailers Dad had when I was grown up and every conceivable nook and cranny was accessible to use a storage. With mine, it seems if there was a wire, hose or whatnot run through a cabinet then the entire thing would get closed off and I lost all that potential storage.

Back on topic:

I found the information I was looking for over at http://www.rvupgradestore.com/Articles.asp?ID=279. So it looks like it'll be the higher end one (despite that eating into about 5-10 nights of camping fees. ). Looking around, I can only seem to find US distributers who ship to Canada (which is going to nail me with taxes, duty, etc. jacking the price up at least 1/2 again). I found an option to get it from Sears.com and do an in store pickup but they're asking for $370.00. CW has it for $289.99. Big difference. Does anybody know if CW has a 'pickup in store' option for their internet only items?
Old 03-25-2014, 11:37 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
To hijack my own thread, that's one thing I was a little disappointed with in my TT. I remember the trailers Dad had when I was grown up and every conceivable nook and cranny was accessible to use a storage. With mine, it seems if there was a wire, hose or whatnot run through a cabinet then the entire thing would get closed off and I lost all that potential storage.
To further hijack, it was a real surprise honestly. I saw where an easy six inches could be gained on just one wall. My TT was like you remember, every square inch was available to stuff something. I have much more room than before, but it could be better.

Anyhow, on topic, what are the odds you know someone that could carry it across the border for you? Of if you could wait and pick it up during a trip across the border? Or does it not work that way?

Old 03-26-2014, 06:02 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Anyhow, on topic, what are the odds you know someone that could carry it across the border for you? Of if you could wait and pick it up during a trip across the border? Or does it not work that way?

Well, that's what I'm looking to do. My first camping trip of the year (unless I can convince DW to do one earlier) is going to put me right by the Belleville CW. If I can get it that weekend then I'll have my 48 hours out of country to get my duty free exemption. I'd love to just pick one up in the store, but their website lists it as internet only.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:47 AM   #27

Well a question is just a phone call away!

Old 03-26-2014, 08:55 AM   #28

I ordered this; Progressive Industries SSP50 Smart Surge from Amazon for just over $100. My main concern is the wiring at the different parks I stop at. My rear AC has a shorted out compressor.....I doubt that was by my limited use of the thing......
gmcnitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:20 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
Yes.
We used the lower priced 30 amp on our previous 5er, but I always tested the plugs before I plugged the trailer in, either with a dvom or with adapters and a tester I carry.

I'm guessing you have your own meter or share with one other site- at least the seasonal sites we've been looking at were one or the other.
I would think that this level would be adequate, but you never know. But even so the better one is cheaper than an insurance deductible most of the time!

MillerTime- Future Sabre Handler!!

Hi Miller, thanks for the answer. Yes we have our own metre. It is a 'residential' area, each with their own power source including ours to the 1/2 acre lot.
Nights camped 2015 - 46
Nights camped 2016 - 43
Nights camped 2017 - 2
5 hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:31 AM   #30

There are places just across the US border that you can have your items shipped to for a very low fee. They will then hold it til you can make a trip down to get it or they will ship it up to you ( usually for a lot less than the original store wanted) just go on their website (www.kinek.com ) to find the nearest shipping point. I ordered tires and rims from Tirerack and they wanted close to $400 to have them shipped up to Canada or $140 to ship them to a Kinek dealer in Great Falls Mt. The Kinek dealer than only charged me $15 to hold them till we got down there to pick them up. We stayed in Great Falls for two days doing our Christmas shopping thereby getting our $800 duty free exemption for each of us at the border.
We are scheduled to pick up our 365 in a couple of weeks so I'll prob order a surge protector and pick it up at the Kinek dealer in Great Falls on our way to Indiana.
Days camped in 2014: 7
hihocarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:53 AM   #31

Kaadk - I just had one delivered to Nova Scotia from RVupgrades and since they use UPS for delivery there was an additional charge of $107.00 COD on top of the cost of the part and $40.00 shipping. If you are having one shipped try to find a company that does not use UPS or will ship via the USPS.
riversedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:09 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by riversedge View Post
Kaadk - I just had one delivered to Nova Scotia from RVupgrades and since they use UPS for delivery there was an additional charge of $107.00 COD on top of the cost of the part and $40.00 shipping. If you are having one shipped try to find a company that does not use UPS or will ship via the USPS.

The thing is it's most likely not UPS that charged you, it was CBSA. Doesn't matter who you use to ship, CBSA is still going to take their cut one way or the other. The only way around that is stay long enough to bring stuff back under the $800 exemption.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:21 AM   #33

I installed the EMS 50A hard wire. I like being able to monitor the display readouts for voltage and amps for individual / combined appliances, e.g. air conditioner, water heater ...
And which items are wired on Line 1 and those wired on Line 2.
This will help me determine what size generator to use if I ever get one.
AnchorsAweigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:34 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 hole View Post
Hi Miller, thanks for the answer. Yes we have our own metre. It is a 'residential' area, each with their own power source including ours to the 1/2 acre lot.

So basically it's not a seasonal the way most people under it. It's a piece of land you own that your trailer happens to be sitting on.

Sound about right?
Old 03-26-2014, 01:30 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
The thing is it's most likely not UPS that charged you, it was CBSA. Doesn't matter who you use to ship, CBSA is still going to take their cut one way or the other. The only way around that is stay long enough to bring stuff back under the $800 exemption.
Not true
I always try to use USPS and have never had an extra charge when I pick up my package. UPS always has charged me extra for brokerage, duty and gst but I've never had that issue with USPS
Old 03-26-2014, 01:39 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hihocarp View Post
Not true

I always try to use USPS and have never had an extra charge when I pick up my package. UPS always has charged me extra for brokerage, duty and gst but I've never had that issue with USPS

Well, I tend to get dinged duty on practically anything I order from the US shipped here. But since I'm literally minutes away from a border, it's not much of a problem to go over and get it. If it was summertime, I could have it shipped to my parent's seasonal over there. Well, actually, I'm not sure about that anymore. Their campground isn't owned by the Moose anymore so I don't know if Dad still has his mail receiving address..... I'll have to look into that.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:58 PM   #37

Quote:
Thanks, but I don't think I'd be able to go with them. Crazy as it seems it looks like they will ship to Europe, but not Canada? At least they don't seem to have an option for that.

At least with CW I can see if I can do an instore pickup and drive over to get it. I'll also need to call my local dealer, rarely, but occasionally, I can get stuff cheaper than CW through him.
You could have the item sent to the UPS location on the US side and pick it up there. UPS does not charge a lot to offer this service.
If the product is made in North America there is no duty charged on the item only GST when crossing back into Canada. We now have free trade that most people do not realize allows us to purchase items in the US duty free. I have gone over the the US side and purchased $500 worth of items and came home the same day with out paying duty. The only thing that customs check was country of origin. You can always call your local custom office to verify.

On a side note if you are having items shipped to Canada from the USA by UPS it is less expensive to have the items shipped by air. The reason being UPS have a flat rate for custom brokerage when shipping by air. UPS will charge different rates when using land shipping. I can order to items form the same company and have them shipped by land. My brokerage fees could vary as mush as $30 for the same item going to the same address. The lower brokerage fees most cover the higher shipping cost and result in a lower overall cost.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:28 AM   #38

I just ordered the EMS-HW50C from Dyers RV who'll ship it to Albertville MN for free to a Kinek dealer for me. Kinek will inform me via email when the unit arrives and they only charge me $3.00. We will stop in there on our way from Calgary to Shipshewana Ind when we go to get the Columbus.
Old 04-12-2015, 04:45 PM   #39
7 Year Class A RV'er

Spend the extra money. I balked, too, but went with the more expensive unit. Saved my neck on this last trip (in March) when it wouldn't power up due to indicating reversed polarity. More than paid for itself. Getting a new rig this week and will buy the same unit in 50A; sold my other one to a guy at church this morning for $75. They have a lifetime warranty, too.
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 05:19 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 hole View Post
To piggy back on Tri guys post.
Ok we have a seasonal site, our own properly wired power. We do no share with anyone etc. So I really have no issue with high draw from CG use. I know I have ground etc. I want to really protect from Surge? Ie lightening strike? Am I able to use the 'lower priced' option for this?
Didnt see this really get addressed. These spikes you mentioned, from lightning and such, work like this. They are very short duration. The new smart chargers actually clip these off due to the way they convert to DC. They take AC voltage high and then convert to DC. Old style linear converters actually just passed them on to the circuitry. However with all the new digital circuitry, spike protection makes a lot of sense. Voltage surges last 3 nano seconds or longer. Most of us have spike protectors in our homes, but do we have surge protectors? Do we have issues at home without surge protection?
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power